What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats? Help!

mimistow

Hello guys ,Im growing under a 180W led light ,plants are 45 days old .In some point i introduced some strawberry plants and some herbs to the indoor garden to fight off the smells but a week after i watered all of the plants i saw flying bugs in the enviroment. ? was thinking that they are just some regular small flies but after a small period of time my kids started to get droopy and overwatering or underwatering wasnt the issue.I ve never encounter any bug issue so im completely clueless of whats going on.Any help or advise would be very appreciated.Thank you for instance!:angelshug:
The first photo is a taken 17/11 ,the second one 24/11.the third 25/11 where at this point the plant to the right started to recover a bit considering that the leaves stood a bit upwards.The plant to the left got a pale green colour and the one in the center is somewhere in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_175032.jpg
    IMG_20201117_175032.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20201125_144313.jpg
    IMG_20201125_144313.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20201125_133616.jpg
    IMG_20201125_133616.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20201125_133300.jpg
    IMG_20201125_133300.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20201125_133039.jpg
    IMG_20201125_133039.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20201124_121845.jpg
    IMG_20201124_121845.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20201124_121805.jpg
    IMG_20201124_121805.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20201124_121717.jpg
    IMG_20201124_121717.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 52

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Never, ever, ever, introduce something to your grow room that hasn't been quarantined 1st.

WHAT ARE FUNGUS GNATS?
Fungus gnats are tiny, dark, short-lived gnats that look like small flies. If you have an infestation, you will see them jumping around on the soil. Unlike some other cannabis pests, fungus gnats don’t have much of an interest in the leaves or flowers of your weed as they live in the soil. Instead, larvae gnaw on the roots and damage them. Since the root system is critical for healthy growth, a fungus gnat infection can be a problem.
Fortunately, fungus gnats are not the worst pests you can encounter. If you have mature plants with a strong root system, fungus gnats may be more of a nuisance than a catastrophe. On the other hand, they pose a serious threat to young plants and seedlings. A massive infestation left unattended can also be a problem for bigger plants.

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-how-to-stop-fungus-gnats-from-damaging-your-weed-plants-n345

I feel for you but I never experience the problem with cannabis, but I have with Bonsai. I do know however, you won't make that mistake again. The best way to reduce or eradicate smell is via a charcoal filter. The only time my tent smells is when the door is open for maint. I did follow a recommendation however (early in my growing adventure) to place a mint plant in there. It didn't do diddly, so to speak, so I quit the practice.

I am really anal wrt environmental conditions of my tents, right down to having HEPA filters on my "passive intakes". I wish you all the best :tiphat:

Sunshineinabag

Well my first step would be sticky fly traps or tape put where they congregate......then try to cover your medium....IE size black plastic garbage bags to your pots.....strechy and tape over your mediums where your main stem pops up just make sure there no space for them to use....water your plants from below....they will absorb the water from an overflow tray for example over a small period if time. You do not need to top water plants

Sunshineinabag

You gotta remember that medium is basically a big sponge once the roots fill it in...it's not hard when your patient to keep em happy. I want you to succeed:dancer:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Fungus flies are not thought to effect growth. Even in pure hydro where the only thing to eat is soaking wet roots, they're not blamed for plant health issues as they don't choose to eat the plants.

There is some damage on a leaf or two where something has been sucking the sap out. That is likely a different pest, that may of been just passing through. The sticky traps are very useful in this instance.

There might be a bit of Mg and P deficiency showing. Stalled plants generally respond to some P so I would start there. Perhaps a lick of flower food or PK if you don't have a mono P source available. Bonemeal might be the organic option, I'm not sure but someone will chip in :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Fungus flies are not thought to effect growth. Even in pure hydro where the only thing to eat is soaking wet roots, they're not blamed for plant health issues as they don't choose to eat the plants.

There is some damage on a leaf or two where something has been sucking the sap out. That is likely a different pest, that may of been just passing through. The sticky traps are very useful in this instance.

There might be a bit of Mg and P deficiency showing. Stalled plants generally respond to some P so I would start there. Perhaps a lick of flower food or PK if you don't have a mono P source available. Bonemeal might be the organic option, I'm not sure but someone will chip in :)
The problem is that the OP never posted any informational data in what he was or is doing. Therefore anything we write is merely a guess.

OTOH, in early stages (I don't consider 45D, an early stage), the larvae will munch on your roots = dead roots. Sufficient dead roots in the root zone, combined with "perhaps" over watering or sodden soil and, you are setting up an anaerobic condition in the soil that leads to root rot.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hello guys ,Im growing under a 180W led light ,plants are 45 days old .In some point i introduced some strawberry plants and some herbs to the indoor garden to fight off the smells but a week after i watered all of the plants i saw flying bugs in the enviroment. ? was thinking that they are just some regular small flies but after a small period of time my kids started to get droopy and overwatering or underwatering wasnt the issue.I ve never encounter any bug issue so im completely clueless of whats going on.Any help or advise would be very appreciated.Thank you for instance!:angelshug:
The first photo is a taken 17/11 ,the second one 24/11.the third 25/11 where at this point the plant to the right started to recover a bit considering that the leaves stood a bit upwards.The plant to the left got a pale green colour and the one in the center is somewhere in the middle.
There are several bugs on these plants:

1. The last photo shows damage more like that of a leafhopper.

2. The fungus gnats don't eat. It are their larvae that do damage. They are deadly to germinating seeds, and may cause some deformed roots in seedlings.

Thing is, if you grow in organics and have an organic mulch, there is always something else for them to eat, so they don't bother the plants as much.

A biological control for fungus gnat larvae are Steinernema nematodes.

When all else fails, you can mix water (a quart/liter), food grade/edible vegetable oil (1 tablespoon), dish soap (just enough the dissolve the oil into water) and add the recommended amount of drops of pyrethrin (usually 10 drops per quart). Pyrethrin is not good for you, however it is allowed in organic agriculture. It breaks down into non-toxic components in about a week. It was derived from the Chrysanthemum.

Mattbho

Do get some yellow cards as stated , mosquito dunks and or nematodes . If this is not possible you have to block access to the medium via sand ,thick ass layer of perlite works ok .

Do not water plants until they are dry and weightless you want to almost have them droop before watering again . When battling the gnats i only bottom water the plants that need .

Also the 100 deg 10% rh is killing ya? ?

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG,*SCROG*etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the*pH*of the "RUN-OFF"?
How often are you testing*pH/ppm/EC/TDS?
What method of*pH*test was administered? Using Strips?*pH*pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
How old is your bulbs?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)
How tall are the plants?
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using?
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
What is the Water temperature?
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using
What is the*pH*of the "Tank"?
How often are you testing your*pH/PPM/EC/TDS?
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment?
When was your last watering?
What is your water temps?
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
How old is the bulbs you are using?
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?

Mattbho

2. The fungus gnats don't eat. It are their larvae that do damage. They are deadly to germinating seeds, and may cause some deformed roots in seedlings.

Thing is, if you grow in organics and have an organic mulch, there is always something else for them to eat, so they don't bother the plants as much.

When all else fails, you can mix water (a quart/liter), food grade/edible vegetable oil (1 tablespoon), dish soap (just enough the dissolve the oil into water) and add the recommended amount of drops of pyrethrin (usually 10 drops per quart). Pyrethrin is not good for you, however it is allowed in organic agriculture. It breaks down into non-toxic components in about a week. It was derived from the Chrysanthemum.

Definitely scope the bottoms of the leaves believe it or not gnats are one of the larger pests.

20201029_192003.jpg

20201029_192012.jpg

And there is way smaller out there

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Do get some yellow cards as stated , mosquito dunks and or nematodes . If this is not possible you have to block access to the medium via sand ,thick ass layer of perlite works ok .

Do not water plants until they are dry and weightless you want to almost have them droop before watering again . When battling the gnats i only bottom water the plants that need .

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
How Tall are the plants?
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
How old is your bulbs?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)

Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
How tall are the plants?
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?
Where did you get that from???

mimistow

Never, ever, ever, introduce something to your grow room that hasn't been quarantined 1st.

WHAT ARE FUNGUS GNATS?
Fungus gnats are tiny, dark, short-lived gnats that look like small flies. If you have an infestation, you will see them jumping around on the soil. Unlike some other cannabis pests, fungus gnats don’t have much of an interest in the leaves or flowers of your weed as they live in the soil. Instead, larvae gnaw on the roots and damage them. Since the root system is critical for healthy growth, a fungus gnat infection can be a problem.
Fortunately, fungus gnats are not the worst pests you can encounter. If you have mature plants with a strong root system, fungus gnats may be more of a nuisance than a catastrophe. On the other hand, they pose a serious threat to young plants and seedlings. A massive infestation left unattended can also be a problem for bigger plants.

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-how-to-stop-fungus-gnats-from-damaging-your-weed-plants-n345

I feel for you but I never experience the problem with cannabis, but I have with Bonsai. I do know however, you won't make that mistake again. The best way to reduce or eradicate smell is via a charcoal filter. The only time my tent smells is when the door is open for maint. I did follow a recommendation however (early in my growing adventure) to place a mint plant in there. It didn't do diddly, so to speak, so I quit the practice.

I am really anal wrt environmental conditions of my tents, right down to having HEPA filters on my "passive intakes". I wish you all the best :tiphat:
Thank you that was very helpful.P.S. i had a mint under the Leds its it got fried in a week so i moved it out :p

mimistow

Well my first step would be sticky fly traps or tape put where they congregate......then try to cover your medium....IE size black plastic garbage bags to your pots.....strechy and tape over your mediums where your main stem pops up just make sure there no space for them to use....water your plants from below....they will absorb the water from an overflow tray for example over a small period if time. You do not need to top water plants
You are right but with these kind of pots its a bit hard to bottom feed them cause the plastic net at the bottom is elevated somewhere around 5-8cm from the tents floor.

mimistow

?hanks a lot!.Does bacillus do the same job as the steinernema nematodes?(cause its easier to find)

mimistow

The problem is that the OP never posted any informational data in what he was or is doing. Therefore anything we write is merely a guess.

OTOH, in early stages (I don't consider 45D, an early stage), the larvae will munch on your roots = dead roots. Sufficient dead roots in the root zone, combined with "perhaps" over watering or sodden soil and, you are setting up an anaerobic condition in the soil that leads to root rot.
Im using bio bizz .The tripack + bioheaven and algamic.But ive only feed them twice the two last weeks cause i had overwatered the soil and it took a month to dry out!

mimistow

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

How Tall are the plants?
How old is your bulbs?

How tall are the plants?
Thank you, ill place the yellow cards and ill search for nimatodes but its hard to bottom feed in airpots.

mimistow

I managed to kill and take photos from the microscope of two bugs.A white and a black gnat.?

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_230550.jpg
    IMG_20201126_230550.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201126_230858.jpg
    IMG_20201126_230858.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201126_231733.jpg
    IMG_20201126_231733.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20201126_231746.jpg
    IMG_20201126_231746.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 45

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Above pic looks like a gnat. Easy to keep out of your medium by keeping the top 2" dry. After you water use a stick to fluff the top layer of your medium. It will dry very fast, gnats will not go any deeper than a few inches into moist mendims. If the medium is dry they cant breed in it.

Thrips will require using Spinosad or neem oil if you want instant results. If you grow all the time none stop adding a IPM schedule will prevent issues like this.

Both of these are common pest issues. Both are easy to eradicate.