What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is THC % in weed is still misrepresented ?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yes. Plant tissue has cannabinoids too. Leaves also are covered in trichomes. Even young plants have some cannabinoids in and on them. They are more balanced in there, with less thc and more cbd. Get a microscope and you will be amazed on how many tricomes off all kinds there are on various parts of the plant.

Great outdoors

tabacco is a similiar crop in the fact it is cultivated for a compound that grows on it or in it . The marijuanna bus has always copied the tabacco bus . not sure how old you are but in the 1970's in canada pierre Elliott Trudeau ( Justin's father ) was going to legalize weed. rothmans and several other companies already had packaging made up( very rare and collectable if you can find them ) our big tobacco region in Ontario is tillsonberg ( famous stompin Tom conners song about working in tillsonberg) several big tobacco companies had their drying sheds converted and were ready to grow but it never passed in parliament. the companies that grow now rely on tried and true standard cultivation techniques similar to tobacco as well as tomatoes and to some extent corn . heavy feeding, heaving fruiting crops with a set flower and harvest point. the nutritional needs will all be extremely similiar.
I could not recomend highly enough , reading the trifecta of hydroponic cultivation. These are the holy trinity of books .
HYDROPONIC FOOD PRODUCTION by dr HOWARD M RESH ( written 1984 1st edition. most so called new inventions such as rotating drums and vertical columns with drip feed . . everything..1984 ans still updated yearly . nutrient solutions explained in great detail. have made my own for 30 years for LESS than 10% of store cost )
ROCKWOOL IN HORTICULTURE by Dennis Smith ( rockwool is the medium but the control and operation of the systems are the same. the only difference with rockwool i running a slightly lower ph. extremely detailed feed regiments feed , slab and runoff monitoring..most nutrient deficiencies are caused by lockup because of inadequate over watering)
ABC's of NFT by dr allan cooper ( 1977 .commercial lettuce and tomatoe production. basic bare bones, minimalist operation of commercial crops back when there was no place to buy anything. if you needed it you made it .the basics at it s best )
read these three and you know 95% of what to know about hydroponic cultivation. no guessing, no more spending money on the 90% of unnecessary products being offered by today's stores .

Plenty old enough to remember those days.
And no interest in hydro, I am strictly a no till organic, grow in the natural sun guy. Been there done that with indoor hydro, not interested.

But you keep missing my point in this whole thread. Strong tobacco has been around since the beginning of time. The real development was around breeding milder, flavorful tobacco. Yes they have a huge budget, but it was not spent on developing more nicotine in the strains.

St. Phatty

No reason to pay $$ to test & get an "official Number".

This year's harvest seems stronger. Used to smoke 5 times a day, now down to 3.

After the morning wake & bake, I'm a little afraid to have a second puff before driving around town.

In general, I think human feedback is a GREAT way to just a strain. More than a #.

Veggia farmer

Yes. Plant tissue has cannabinoids too. Leaves also are covered in trichomes. Even young plants have some cannabinoids in and on them. They are more balanced in there, with less thc and more cbd. Get a microscope and you will be amazed on how many tricomes off all kinds there are on various parts of the plant.

Yeah, I have play around a little. There are a "decent" resin amount on vegging males also sometimes.

If you have a flower, how big is the % of THC in the resin and how much is else where, then it would be easily calculated to a approx answear.

Its atleast in my eyes already pretty clear. Since I would jump and say most THC is in the resin. If I would take the math from earlier and that got around 3 % THC then it would atleast be under 6% THC total in that example of flower.

So yes, maybe we need a new system for those that want to know the overall THC content of the flower. Or any other cannabinoids, since if I get it correctly we use the same measurement method for other components.

My second thought here will be that this will be more valuable to those that make extracts rather than flowers. Im thinking season planning.

Veggia farmer

And no interest in hydro, I am strictly a no till organic, grow in the natural sun guy. Been there done that with indoor hydro, not interested.

But you keep missing my point in this whole thread. Strong tobacco has been around since the beginning of time. The real development was around breeding milder, flavorful tobacco. Yes they have a huge budget, but it was not spent on developing more nicotine in the strains.

Rustica vs virginia is 16 times more nicotine rustica if my mind are honest with me.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never put any faith in Potency(THC) testing. Very unreliable tests of the same plant grown the same way every time. Trying some has always been a better test.

yup

yup

you missed the point of the thread was about misconception of actual thc % in bud . you sidetracked it into Tabbacco. tabacco was an example of Gregor mendel's laws of herititary dominant and recessive genes. thc or any trust is either increased or decreased by selective breeding , the same as any plant. or genetically modified .
the analogy was ...how could pot heads increase a componant of the plant being thc x10 when multi billion dollar ilegal industry could only double theirs.
now regardless of tobaccos many many varieties of production they none the less spent time and effort in increase nicotine percentage in their product . they may have decided to go a different route of production but KOOL was caught increasing the nicotine content of their smokers through genetic manipulation of the plant

organics

organics

you missed the point of the thread was about misconception of actual thc % in bud . you sidetracked it into Tabbacco. tabacco was an example of Gregor mendel's laws of herititary dominant and recessive genes. thc or any trust is either increased or decreased by selective breeding , the same as any plant. or genetically modified .
the analogy was ...how could pot heads increase a componant of the plant being thc x10 when multi billion dollar ilegal industry could only double theirs.
now regardless of tobaccos many many varieties of production they none the less spent time and effort in increase nicotine percentage in their product . they may have decided to go a different route of production but KOOL was caught increasing the nicotine content of their smokers through genetic manipulation of the plant
as far as organics most people do not realize they are exactly the same molecule as chemically pure versions . NO3 nitrate is the EXACT same nitrate whether its source is blood meal , compost, or calcium nitrate Ca(NO3)2. the molecule is ALSO absorbed into 4he root in the exact same fashion. the nitrate NO3 molecule must be absorbed into water . Cations such as calcium are absorbed by particle interactions while the anions such as nitrate are absorbed through the water solution. excellent chapter on it in HFP by resh .
the ONLY difference between organic and inorganic is 4he carbon molecule, or carrier system. organic carbon has the same quality ( although much less ) as activated carbon in airfilters. its called the vanderwal forces . carbon adsorbs ( "ad" as it adsorbes to the inner surface area ) molecules into its extremely porous interior. my company TIBBITS air made the first carbon filter in Canada in 1997 . a 20 lb triangular until called the wedge.
carbons benefit is that force, referred to as cationic exchange capacity in agricultural references .organic compounds do add a broader spectrum of trace minerals to allow different esters or terpenes or other compounds to be formed resulting in potentially better taste or nutritional content but that can also be achieved by a standard balanced nutritional formula supplemented by organic teas.
the definitely is a misunderstanding of why organics are used too. they are meant to reuse products already present on the farm or area . they are not meant to be a standard nutritional source for the sake of it as a nutritional source . the minute you start hauling compost to a factory in diesel burning trucks and packaging it on an assembly line run on power and then trucked out to stores to be bought it no longer has any GREEN recycling benefit and now becomes a standard oil manufactured commercial product.
I enclosed a pic from HFP on the anion or cation mineral exchange.
I also added a photo of the encyclopedia or organic growing . it is an actual scientifically written agriculturally backed encyclopedia of organic gardening. close to 1000 pages completely packed with every aspect of organic agriculture. costs a few bucks but well worth it if you can find it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-150253_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-150253_Photos.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20201102-150250_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201102-150250_Photos.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20201103-191340_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-191340_Gallery.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 20

G.O. Joe

Veteran
-So during testing procedure for HPLC the sample ( eg 100g ) is centrifuged for 4 hour with tech grade methanol . The resulting mix is filtered to 1 micron for sampling in the high pressure liquid chromatography unit .
WHEN THE THC % IS GIVEN IT IS ON THE EXTRACTED SAMPLE NOT THE ORIGINAL WEED WEIGHT.
Average oil extracted is 15% of weed weight ( 10% to 20% )

Extract 100 mg pot with solvent, filter, dilute to 10 ml, inject 0.01 ml into column. If THC peak has same absorbance as a calibration concentration of 0.01 mg/ml, say pot was 10% THC.

Seems to be some disconnect.

Put your thinking cap on if you think people are getting 25% numbers from shake or are submitting shake in the hope of getting a 25% number.

HGCC

Very good post and spot on mr...Smith?

I think the thc percentages are used as they are simply the easiest way for the common consumer to look at what they are buying. When you smoke a lot of weed and become a "connoisseur", you fall out of what common marketing is looking to catch. Quite a few of us know thc % has little to do with the high you can achieve, the common consumer doesn't though. They also don't have the dogshit sort of tolerance many of us do, we can smoke weed all day to evaluate taste/appearance/smoke scent (whatever the fuck that is) and not wind up that high whereas it puts a normal person on the floor.

If you put 5 mystery cans of beer in front of people, abv is as good a measure as any to guage how "good" that beer is, if they aren't beer aficionados. Evaluation is in the eye of the beholder.

hmmm

hmmm

Extract 100 mg pot with solvent, filter, dilute to 10 ml, inject 0.01 ml into column. If THC peak has same absorbance as a calibration concentration of 0.01 mg/ml, say pot was 10% THC.

Seems to be some disconnect.

Put your thinking cap on if you think people are getting 25% numbers from shake or are submitting shake in the hope of getting a 25% number.
I am not 100 % sure what you mean . ..I used 100g as an example so we can talk in percent..
the sampling procedure is much smaller.
I get a fair amount of these tests done here in Toronto and am surprised about the misconceptions.
I just offer to pay for peopes tests at their local lab and get them to post it with detailed questions about procedure. will post excerpt form last test . sample procedure as well as explanation
this is a quote
Below the HPLC chromatograph are two charts that highlight the cannabinoid potencies of your product. The first chart identifies cannabinoid concentrations (Fig. 3). As you can see, the delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) level is 24.64 per cent (the product sample analyzed in this example is a cannabinoid extract, so the concentrations are much higher than what would occur in dried flowers).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201114-035611_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20201114-035611_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
thc

thc

Very good post and spot on mr...Smith?

I think the thc percentages are used as they are simply the easiest way for the common consumer to look at what they are buying. When you smoke a lot of weed and become a "connoisseur", you fall out of what common marketing is looking to catch. Quite a few of us know thc % has little to do with the high you can achieve, the common consumer doesn't though. They also don't have the dogshit sort of tolerance many of us do, we can smoke weed all day to evaluate taste/appearance/smoke scent (whatever the fuck that is) and not wind up that high whereas it puts a normal person on the floor.

If you put 5 mystery cans of beer in front of people, abv is as good a measure as any to guage how "good" that beer is, if they aren't beer aficionados. Evaluation is in the eye of the beholder.
they use them , like any drug or alcohol so 4he consumers knows how much 4hey are consuming..
metaphysics aside it is a safety precaution. ...
everything we use has a standard. alcohol , drug purity, ethanol, fuels etc I would say next to octane rating on fuel this seems to be misrepresented as much as octane ( higher octane does not make your car go faster..Octane is a rating at which temp your fuel ignites. a higher octane means it needs more temperature to ignite making it suitable fo3 higher compression cars . low compression cars will get less gas mileage and power because their low compression car does not reach the temp need to fully combust fuel ...I put this in as part of the reference since I mentioned it )

the thc % does not mean that a 20 % weed has more thc than a 15% weed .
the oil extraction amount is not recorded. so a plant with more resin at a lower percentage can actually have more thc per weed gram .
the test
1) only tests extracted oils and gives % based on that
2) does not give a number of how much extracted oil.
100 g of a 20% rated plant with 10% resin = 2 gram thc
100g of 15% thc but 15 % oil is 2.25g thc .
the rating does not give a reliable number that you can use 4o compare strains with .
have done enough extraction to know this after 30 years

G.O. Joe

Veteran
1) only tests extracted oils and gives % based on that
2) does not give a number of how much extracted oil.
100 g of a 20% rated plant with 10% resin = 2 gram thc
100g of 15% thc but 15 % oil is 2.25g thc .

The reason it doesn't make sense is because you invent things that don't make sense, unlike my sensible explanation that literally cannot be simpler. There is no law saying the test percentage has to represent the dry weight of the entire plant grown outdoors, that every 100 mg portion of the sample has to be the same. Believe it or not.

HGCC

Uhhh...nvm, I was a bit ahead of myself in agreement, misunderstood someone else's understanding.

My understanding is that you submit a sample of your plant matter, it gets sampled and tested to determine how much sweet sweet thc is present per given amount of that plant matter. Thats about it.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
My understanding is that you submit a sample of your plant matter, it gets sampled and tested to determine how much sweet sweet thc is present per given amount of that plant matter. Thats about it.

If they only need 100 mg and you give them 20 grams, they're going to extract 20 g? That costs money and I doubt anyone does that. What do testing companies say about the samples? They're in the high number business because that's what their customers want. So don't be surprised if they ask for a gram and only test the best 100 mg. chunk of that. Typical grinder residue is probably 30-40%.

Latest posts

Latest posts