What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do YOU Consider CBN Rich (Comatose in 15min after toking) Cannabis 'Potent' Cannabis?

St. Phatty

Haze has tons of Myrcene.... Look at a5 analysis from Ace... Most incensey archetypal Haze known, and its dominated by Myrcene. Which explains the name itself... Haze.... Leaves you sedated, and basically awestruck in a haze\daze...... While not being couchlocky.. Which comes from cbn...cbg...cbd. Especially when amplified by myrcene. Just my intuitive leap of things but not sure..

Is that part of what makes it Psychedelic-ish - or is that mostly the high THC levels ?

Haze has tons of Myrcene.... Look at a5 analysis from Ace... Most incensey archetypal Haze known, and its dominated by Myrcene. Which explains the name itself... Haze.... Leaves you sedated, and basically awestruck in a haze\daze...... While not being couchlocky.. Which comes from cbn...cbg...cbd. Especially when amplified by myrcene. Just my intuitive leap of things but not sure..

How much myrcene did Haze A male have? There is no question that the main contributor of myrcene to a5 comes from Northern lights 5 which i can guarantee has more of a myrcene profile than haze A or the malawi Ace used to x to the A5.

Haze leaves you sedated? Maybe certain haze hybrid profiles can but smoking pure haze or as close to it without any .

Smoke a heavy fuel stardawg with little to no cbn cbg cbd present and you will feel the couchlock effect of myrcene and thc.

Everyone remembers if they have had cbn as its totally different to myrcene and thc with muggy sluggish sometimes brain fog stoneover unsteady on feet type of stone very sleepy and legs feel alot more heavy than couchlock from fuel myrcene.

Just from my experience.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Decades long toker, long time poster here...

I grew up in prohibition land, and my choices of cannabis were usually "Headies" or "Couchlock." Since I already suffer from ADHD, autism and a few other quirks, I've always pursued the more functional "Headies" strains.

The "Couchlock" strains I remember were super stoney, definitely non-productive for me, but did not "Knock you out" 15min after toking.

The last what... 5-10 years? I've noticed a growing trend of people calling overripe, horribly CBN rich cannabis "really potent." I'm talking cannabis nobody can stay awake from after only 2-3 tokes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this kind of cannabis when I'm hurt, sick or reaaaally need to sleep immediately. I just prefer staying awake through life and experiencing my cannabis throughout the day.

What's the deal? Does anyone remember growing up with CBN rich sleepy weed as "the potent stuff" when you were a kid? Did this trend start somewhere specific? :tiphat:

What is potent Cannabis? Few agree exactly what is Cannabis potency.
As for Cannabis with high CBN contents, in my lab we never found any, even high THC varieties stored for several years at room temps had little to none, fresh dry Cannabis always had none. Stored Cannabis will not convert from THCA to THC except very slowly, CBN we did not find in large amounts.
Cannabis with high THC and the right terpenes can get you high as a kite, the same levels of THC but with different terpenes will get you totaly couch lock. Myrcene modulates THC and potentiates THC, same with Pinene, 100% pure THC with a spike of Myrcene does become more couchlock.
I do not like couchlock Cannabis, be it from CBN, CBD, or the lack of terpenes or the presence of the wrong terpenes for me. I prefer getting high like a great NLD variety can do.
That said I understand that different folks like different smokes, and what they like is what they should get.
Skunk #1 has a lot of Myrcene but I can assure you that dry sifted resin from Skunk #1 does get me high more than stoned, but not like the Original Haze, that is what gets me really high. It is the terpenes that modifies the THC effects as well as some terpenes also make Cannabis more potent.
Most herbal Cannabis has at least 50 different terpenes, so it is hard to judge what is doing what when most labs only test for 15 terpenes.
CBN and CBD are not for me, I do not like the effects of CBD on THC, it delays the THC onset, reduces the peak experience, as well as making the reduced effects last longer. CBN also makes the effects much more fuzzy than high and also effects my coordination more.
Before labs were available to most folks I clearly remember testing herbal Cannabis in my lab, that the grower swore was high in CBD, it had almost zero CBD, but did have terpenes that modulated the THC effects to be couchlock. Labs now allow most to understand what may be creating the effects found in their Cannabis.
Some want stoney Physical almost narcotic Cannabis some want Cannabis that is cerebral psychedelic speedy up Cannabis, there is no best, just different choices for different smokers.
BTW the plant does not produce CBN directly, there is no CBN synthase, CBN is degraded THC...

-SamS

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks Sam, I was rather surprised to hear the low/no CBN results when testing 'old' cannabis. Greatly appreciate the information about the rest, it's amazing how everything works together (or doesn't lol). :)

Would sun dried cannabis have the most cbn content at the fastest rate compared to other drying methods so would tempreture have the most impact on conversion to cbn rather than how old it would be.

Sam maybe stupid questions here.

Are cannabinoids terpene compounds? Just because of the action of beta caryophyllene being classed as a dietry cannabinoid. With the nueromodulation action of terpenes with thc is this responsible for the onset of the high and terpene ability to pass blood brain barrier does this penetrate all over over the brain to provide thc to cb1 receptors and could this provide the duration of the high with more g coupled protein receptors get ting activated for longer because of the ability of terpenes. Obviously its down to % of thc but do terps play a role or more efficient role in duration of high.

Douglas.Curtis

Would sun dried cannabis have the most cbn content at the fastest rate compared to other drying methods so would tempreture have the most impact on conversion to cbn rather than how old it would be.
The sun is a massive infra-red source, so it should work nicely for flowers which are not so dense the centers are blocked. (lol, sleepy on the outside, "WAKE UP!" on the inside) I'll bet the heat from the sun is too low to help.

hellfire

Personally no. I consider potent cannabis cannabis that can take my mind somewhere. Whether an in depth conversation with a smoking buddy, an uplifting energetic high that makes me get up and do things or an introspective meditative experience. I don't like being couchlocked, sluggish or knocked out. I've had pure indicas that are less of a dull dope-like high than some of the myrcene high strains (hybrids/polyhybrids) around today.

On CBN, does CBN form while the plant is still alive faster than degrading in clipped flowers? For instance well after the optimal harvest date for most people.

The sun is a massive infra-red source, so it should work nicely for flowers which are not so dense the centers are blocked. (lol, sleepy on the outside, "WAKE UP!" on the inside) I'll bet the heat from the sun is too low to help.

I read years ago about impact on uvb kush varieties at foot of mountains having higher thc to same variety lower down and uvb is the increaser and will probably be the main degrader in cannabinoids alongside temps and humidity.

Personally no. I consider potent cannabis cannabis that can take my mind somewhere. Whether an in depth conversation with a smoking buddy, an uplifting energetic high that makes me get up and do things or an introspective meditative experience. I don't like being couchlocked, sluggish or knocked out. I've had pure indicas that are less of a dull dope-like high than some of the myrcene high strains (hybrids/polyhybrids) around today.

On CBN, does CBN form while the plant is still alive faster than degrading in clipped flowers? For instance well after the optimal harvest date for most people.

Good question but i would guess that the plant will degrade more taking it 5 weeks longer under the light than 5 weeks clipped flowers.

Douglas.Curtis

As far as I'm aware, a reptile infra-red lamp will turn things amber in 2-3 days. On the plant it's usually a few weeks past 'ripe' to reach full amber (always strain dependent), while Sam's info says age doesn't do much.

Douglas.Curtis

You're sure but can you show even one?

Over decarbed? Really? Thousands of edible tests on multiple sites, show me the over decarbed edibles high in CBN.
So you do/see lots of testing? That's great, because I don't and I'm hungry for information. :)

What do you see as the cause for the sleepy, narcotic, unable to stay awake effect in late harvested cannabis? What is the common variable in the test profiles?

'Boogieman'

A certain pheno of blue Widow will put you asleep even with minimal amber trichomes. I'm not convinced it's always an overripe thing .

Douglas.Curtis

A certain pheno of blue Widow will put you asleep even with minimal amber trichomes. I'm not convinced it's always an overripe thing .
I've often urged people who 'like' this effect to look for genetics which have it at peak ripeness. Good call. :)

MindEater

I never experienced that groggy boring highless sleepy weed unless purchased legally and they definitely don't harvest late at legal ops. Mary OG was the latest, I kept vaping more, ignoring the diagusting hydroponic terroir, trying to get a buzz but kept getting sleepy, no euphoria no high. Normally I can vape all night,any strain, and be woke back up with every hit.

And I see legal shoppers attribute this foreign characteristic to strains that don't have it normally. Most legal shoppers might as well pay someone to club them over the head before bedtime because it's the only effect legal custies associate with weed anymore, the only one I never did. You don't even get couch lock or pain relief, just sleepy. Legal dispensary shoppers will tell you you're bud is laced if it does anything besides make baby sweepy. It's fuckin weird

EastFortRock

I don’t know for sure if it’s CBN that makes it sleepy. I do know that sleepy weed seems kind of rare with my grower friends. Sativa leaning hybrids seem to produce huge outdoor plants and that seems to be what my friends grow. They always have names like OG this or Kush that, or blue dream hybrids, but it all seems like up high weed. Also Most of what I have grown isn’t as sleepy as what I would have liked.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i wouldn't know if i've ever had a high cbn strain, but i have smoked sleepytime weed, i've smoked powerful shit that put me down from just the head-smash effect, i've used cbn tinctures for sleep, and i've had almost pure thc distillate where if you eat too much you get soooo high that all roads lead to couch.

i prefer getting the soaring, electric sativa highs (durban poison, golden tiger, etc.) but i see the value in sleepy time bud for... sleep.

if i am daytime treating, i would be very annoyed if i fell asleep after medicating.

the chemdawg strains like stardawg offer a nice middle road, where i can still do stuff but am mellowed and medicated. high caryophyllene, not sure the cbn levels. sometimes with low tolerance, it can be a hammer to the head, too high effect though.

there's also the mellow indica stuff like mag landrace and bubba diagonal that don't get me too high, don't get me too tired, and are kinda like a nice destressor for daytime if i am toooo anxious.

i guess my ramble ramble point is, everything has its place.

Im'One

I smoke weed for many different reasons. Right now i would love a two toke then im out for the rest of the night weed. No thinking about corona, no posting on facebook, no worrying about my wifes bad heart,no concern for my daughter working without ppe.....just make me stupid please.
Some one claimed that their varietal was like robitrippin...i wish i had that now.

EastFortRock

If you want your weed to have an up high try vaping . I just got over a lung infection and have been vaping flower . The same flower is definitely more up and heady vaping instead of smoking. Portable vape I’m using is called a Fury Edge.