What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

EnjoyingLife

I think the THCV in Ethiopian and also found in other African sativas is a factor in making this strain so uplifting and calming at the same time. It sets a good mood for the day when smoked in the morning.

I'm enjoying a bowl of Ethiopian + Guatemala right now while drinking a hot cup of my special herbal tea blend I make myself. Fermented blackberry, strawberry, blueberry leaves, ginger, lemon balm, mint, lemongrass, orange peel, mullein.

I like to start my day off with a variety of herbs.
I think this pheno had some thcv in it for sure. I have a 3:1 thcv:thc cart and I noticed a similarity but preferred the Ethiopia. My guess is the terps are more in alignment with my body and higher thc.
I smoked it at night, def not a night time herb but didnt really effect my sleep. I actually woke up in a good mood which isn't typical for me. I'm not saying I wake up angry(sometimes I do lol) but my mood was still noticably elevated. I can see this being a mood setter for the day for sure.
That ExG sounds super appealing, I found ace after they had sold out of Guatemala =\
That's an interesting mix of herbs in your tea. I know mullein helps one breathe. Are you using the others for their benefits or as a flavor?

xtsho

I think this pheno had some thcv in it for sure. I have a 3:1 thcv:thc cart and I noticed a similarity but preferred the Ethiopia. My guess is the terps are more in alignment with my body and higher thc.
I smoked it at night, def not a night time herb but didnt really effect my sleep. I actually woke up in a good mood which isn't typical for me. I'm not saying I wake up angry(sometimes I do lol) but my mood was still noticably elevated. I can see this being a mood setter for the day for sure.
That ExG sounds super appealing, I found ace after they had sold out of Guatemala =\
That's an interesting mix of herbs in your tea. I know mullein helps one breathe. Are you using the others for their benefits or as a flavor?

I use most of the herbs for their antioxidant properties.

ilovegrowing

I use most of the herbs for their antioxidant properties.
Interesting! Does that mean, all the weed you consume you drink or eat it fresh?

Just looked it up a bit. Seems like some antioxidans are safe in heat, some are sensitive. And i found that, will read it a bit more when i have time. A study…

But i barely consumed leaves for example. I know people use it as tea, leaves and buds. But i dont know if one feels trippy or high after that. Seeds are great for health, i know that. Should eat more. But the most seeds i have, are too precious to eat ;)

Ever heard of that?

2,2-Diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl

I didnt :D greets

ilovegrowing

Found this in the study…

„Utilising cannabis leaves as antioxidants holds a novel potential in disease prevention [34]. Despite being often disregarded as waste during cultivation, cannabis leaves possess abundant antioxidants, including cannabinoids.“

Time to consume the leaves too!

Nannymouse

Cannot remember who it was, once asked me why i didn't make cannabis flour. I have not tried that, yet. But, i would think that dried leaves could be ground and sifted and used in many recipes for half of the wheat flour amount. After reading a bunch of stuff over at nutsdotcom, it seems some strange (to me) ingredients are ground into powder and substituted (sometimes, partially) for wheat flour. One of the different items, is banana flour...made from dried green banana. I ordered some of that, it was pretty nice.

Anyway, back to powdering leaves...wonder if it is best freshly dried, cured and dried, or decarbed?

Hey, Ethiopia weed sounds like a wonderful daytime herb. I'll need to look into that a bit more.

Sensistar42

I know the feeling all to well. A 12 oz cup can cause the jitters in me and if I drink it after 2pm my sleep quality is crap.
I've noticed the higher quality coffee seems to either take more to induce jitters or I don't get them unless I start getting into the 2-300mg of caffeine but again drinking it after 2 makes my sleep quality poor.
Yes I agree with the higher quality coffee, I’m from ny so I also am in love with time Hortons coffee as well. 🤣🤣 I only make cold brew as well as order that when I’m out as well. Much less bitterness and overall better feel no headaches. Watch your coffee though if your allergic to mold I’ve learned recently that most lower quality coffee is riddled with mold.

Sensistar42

I think the THCV in Ethiopian and also found in other African sativas is a factor in making this strain so uplifting and calming at the same time. It sets a good mood for the day when smoked in the morning.

I'm enjoying a bowl of Ethiopian + Guatemala right now while drinking a hot cup of my special herbal tea blend I make myself. Fermented blackberry, strawberry, blueberry leaves, ginger, lemon balm, mint, lemongrass, orange peel, mullein.

I like to start my day off with a variety of herbs.
How does the Guatemala compare to the Ethiopian? And more so how does the combo feel? I like mixing my Violeta with any of the random hybrids from the store because it makes everything feel much brighter and lighter, with not as much of a groggy sleepiness at the tale end like your ogs/Chems.

xtsho

How does the Guatemala compare to the Ethiopian? And more so how does the combo feel? I like mixing my Violeta with any of the random hybrids from the store because it makes everything feel much brighter and lighter, with not as much of a groggy sleepiness at the tale end like your ogs/Chems.

Since Guatemala is in Central America and borders Mexico it's similar to other strains from that region. More uplifting and energetic without the paranoia that some might get from an African strain like Malawi. The taste is different as well. I haven't noticed the citrus/piney characteristics like I have with African sativa's and others. It's more of an earthy/woody tone. That's what I get from it. I think the Guatemalan is higher in THC than the Ethiopian but it doesn't have the sedative effect you get from some strains.

The combination of the Ethiopian and Guatemala is very nice and I'm glad I made it. It's what I like for myself but it may not be what someone else is looking for. I'm looking for something that I can smoke and still do all of the things I need to do. I don't like anything that makes me lazy and I start putting off tasks I need to accomplish. I smoke a joint of this and I have no problems staying focused on getting things done.

EnjoyingLife

Cannot remember who it was, once asked me why i didn't make cannabis flour. I have not tried that, yet. But, i would think that dried leaves could be ground and sifted and used in many recipes for half of the wheat flour amount. After reading a bunch of stuff over at nutsdotcom, it seems some strange (to me) ingredients are ground into powder and substituted (sometimes, partially) for wheat flour. One of the different items, is banana flour...made from dried green banana. I ordered some of that, it was pretty nice.

Anyway, back to powdering leaves...wonder if it is best freshly dried, cured and dried, or decarbed?

Hey, Ethiopia weed sounds like a wonderful daytime herb. I'll need to look into that a bit more.
I would think if one is baking it it's decarbong so maybe personal preference plays a role here? One is assuming it's being baked\cooked ofc.
Banana flour sounds nice. What was the flavor like? Did it change the flavor of what you made assuming it's a tested recipe.

EnjoyingLife

Yes I agree with the higher quality coffee, I’m from ny so I also am in love with time Hortons coffee as well. 🤣🤣 I only make cold brew as well as order that when I’m out as well. Much less bitterness and overall better feel no headaches. Watch your coffee though if your allergic to mold I’ve learned recently that most lower quality coffee is riddled with mold.
That could be that ammonia smell one gets with lower quality coffee...

xtsho

I would think if one is baking it it's decarbong so maybe personal preference plays a role here? One is assuming it's being baked\cooked ofc.
Banana flour sounds nice. What was the flavor like? Did it change the flavor of what you made assuming it's a tested recipe.

I've always found that adding cannabis material changes the flavor in a bad way. Some people say otherwise. Chew on some leaves of cannabis and see if the flavor profile is something you want in baked goods.

I think it would be better used in more savory dishes. Chopped and used in lasagna instead of parsley. A long cooking pot roast with vegetables, etc...

Sensistar42

Since Guatemala is in Central America and borders Mexico it's similar to other strains from that region. More uplifting and energetic without the paranoia that some might get from an African strain like Malawi. The taste is different as well. I haven't noticed the citrus/piney characteristics like I have with African sativa's and others. It's more of an earthy/woody tone. That's what I get from it. I think the Guatemalan is higher in THC than the Ethiopian but it doesn't have the sedative effect you get from some strains.

The combination of the Ethiopian and Guatemala is very nice and I'm glad I made it. It's what I like for myself but it may not be what someone else is looking for. I'm looking for something that I can smoke and still do all of the things I need to do. I don't like anything that makes me lazy and I start putting off tasks I need to accomplish. I smoke a joint of this and I have no problems staying focused on getting things done.
That’s what I’m trying to do for myself. My idea was having a Mexican honduras and a coffe like African mixed together. To help through executive disfunction but also keeping it calm as well, but not so calm and dream like as say a columbian.

Nannymouse

Well, i don't bake much, and still need to find a canna brownie recipe that i like. But, i think that making a gravy with canna flour would be something that i could possibly do. But, really, as far as flavor, a very well washed butter would probably work best for baked goods. Peanut butter and caramel are good at masking cannabis flavor.

@EnjoyingLife , the banana flour (cannot recall if it's one that needs to be mixed with wheat flour for baking) makes things extra light and fluffy. I've used it in pancakes. Doesn't taste like bananas to me, just a nice light flour. The comments/reviews at nutsdotcom can be helpful.

Was just looking at Ethiopian description, and thirteen to fourteen weeks is pretty good for sativa.

Sensistar42

Well, i don't bake much, and still need to find a canna brownie recipe that i like. But, i think that making a gravy with canna flour would be something that i could possibly do. But, really, as far as flavor, a very well washed butter would probably work best for baked goods. Peanut butter and caramel are good at masking cannabis flavor.

@EnjoyingLife , the banana flour (cannot recall if it's one that needs to be mixed with wheat flour for baking) makes things extra light and fluffy. I've used it in pancakes. Doesn't taste like bananas to me, just a nice light flour. The comments/reviews at nutsdotcom can be helpful.

Was just looking at Ethiopian description, and thirteen to fourteen weeks is pretty good for sativa.
I like just doing mtc tinctures myself, I don’t mind the flavor 🤣🤣

EnjoyingLife

Good to know PB and caramel mask the canna flavor, I don't mind it but if I want to share others may. I dont mess with edibles much as it seems they trigger irritation, no clue why... but when I get a respectable harvest I may try one of my own strains as I've been getting dispensary edibles and while some work well they all trigger irritation even when labeled sativa. It could be my body chemistry who knows lol.

I may try banana flour in something soon. Nice to know it doesn't have the banana flavor as my girlfriend isn't a fan. Pancakes is my thought, bread is another.

I probably let the Ethiopian go 16 or 17 weeks. I didn't count but if I went by the weather I should have taken them 2-3 weeks earlier. They went at least 12\3 for sure. It's quite an enjoyable smoke, this pheno anyways.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Smoke it while it's fresh. That's when it's the best. I know I'm in the minority but I don't cure my weed. I dry it and smoke it. That's how I like it.

When you say you did a sad job of growing it I'm assuming it was likely due to overfeeding which is easy to do. Ethiopian doesn't need much at all. I learned that the first time I grew it as well. The second run was so much better though as I fed them barely anything and they thrived.

Enjoy the Ethiopian when you do get around to trying it. It's a very good smoke. :smokeit:
I agree. I liked the Ethiopian much more fresh than cured, which normally isn't the case with sativa's. It was really feel good weed fresh dried off the plant. If I grow it again (which is likely) I'll probably freeze it as soon as it's dried for long term use.

EnjoyingLife

I agree. I liked the Ethiopian much more fresh than cured, which normally isn't the case with sativa's. It was really feel good weed fresh dried off the plant. If I grow it again (which is likely) I'll probably freeze it as soon as it's dried for long term use.
How would you say the effects change as it cures?
What was your starting point feel?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
How would you say the effects change as it cures?
What was your starting point feel?
The starting point is very light happy euphoric motivational feeling. Not that potent but really pleasant feeling.
After a cure it seemed to become more introspective, still a nice high but the other feelings toned down. Weirdly after a really long cure (a year or so) the initial feelings ramped up again, but still not as good as fresh imo.
Whatever the case I personally liked the fresh high more, but others may differ. People should try both and see how they feel.

Sensistar42

The starting point is very light happy euphoric motivational feeling. Not that potent but really pleasant feeling.
After a cure it seemed to become more introspective, still a nice high but the other feelings toned down. Weirdly after a really long cure (a year or so) the initial feelings ramped up again, but still not as good as fresh imo.
Whatever the case I personally liked the fresh high more, but others may differ. People should try both and see how they feel.
Maybe some terpenes lost or converted to others? I know when I like the sweetness in some strains after about a month it will disappear a good amount. That bright feeling goes down a bit