What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

xtsho

Too many great strains to choose a single favorite. I remember the Thai sticks, Columbian Gold, Jamaican, Hawaiian, Panama Red, etc... And then Indica's and Hybrids that started coming out of Northern California and Southern Oregon in the late 70's. That was when the first Sinsemilla started showing up as growers learned to cull the males to prevent seeds. I'd take that old school weed over the stuff today every day of the week.

I'm fortunate to have lived in the PNW where we got all that stuff. There was never any shortage of cannabis in these parts. Lots of good hashish back in the day as well.

Today's weed doesn't do it for me. Which is why I've been mostly growing landraces for the last 6-7 years. There is so much more to the experience than just getting zonked out on some high THC polyhybrid. Give me a nice fat joint of Thai or Columbian. I'll pass on the Cookies and Cake.

Loriented

"Today's weed doesn't do it for me."
Try fermented weed...

bigbud78

Wow thinking about the clone only ….real exo cheese ,takes me back to my twenties she grew well an had double serrated fan leaves that’s how you could tell it was real she had long sativa-ish fan leaves as well
the terp was unbelievable she was the smelliest weed I’ve ever grew I journaled it on thc talk before getting banned for showing one to many plants on the 10 plant limit
the taste was outragoes left your mouth coated in that how can I describe it metallic musty cheesy skunky loveliness, excuse my crap gramma ,anyway my favourite pot from the day

kind regards bb78

d333gs

What was the pot that you smoked long ago that you wish that you still had? First thing that I gotta say is that there WAS very strong pot back in the day, it wasn't as prevalent as good weed is now but I think that the best of the best from ago would stand up to even the best weed today. Of course commercial weed ruled the day back then with Columbian, Mexican and Jamaican all having commercial offerings with varying degrees of goodness but there were some that stood out from the crowd.

I think my all time favorite was from about 1974, a friend walked into my dorm room at UMass with a pound in a plastic bag. Unlike most weed from that time period it wasn't compressed, the bag was plum full of beautiful but seeded buds that were lime green at their center and a lovely bright gold on the outside. Taste was spicy hashy and the high was powerful, very trippy and long lasting. A half dozen people could get stoned off a small joint. I paid $315 for the pound which was the most that I ever paid back then and I was worried because I'd have to charge $35 an ounce at a time when Columbian Gold was selling for $30. I was going to cut it up and take it to my hometown and sell 3/4s of it and keep a quarter but it sold out before I could cut it up that night. Years later I read an article I think was by D J Short and it described Venizualan (I know that spelling ain't even close!) and I'm pretty sure that's what I had happened on to.

Honorable mention, Wacky Weed!. It was some fugly stuff, looked almost like some cut up black tobacky or something but it was a sledgehammer to the forehead.
I remember , end of the 60s , you could roll a joint and smoke it all yourself , exploding seeds , twigs and all. We were paying 20 an ounce then

Nousefoaname

For me when I started in early 90s the best you could get was 'purple heads from Smithton '

I wish I knew what it was. A sativa that grew well outside in a cold climate is my best guess

X15

Mexican brick weed was it! I grew up in Southern California and my older brother had a hook up on some Mexican. Back then everyone had large rolling trays… or in our case… silver platters lol. The platters had a pile of seeds and stems on one side and flower on the other side. I’ll never forget the motions of one’s hands while breaking up a chunk. Unfortunately there were many burn holes in couches and car seats from seeds but the high was remarkable. Not a high like today at all. Often there was no ceiling to that herb. The more you smoked the higher you got. I use to get some Colombian from my boss when I was 17-18. He was the foreman at the golf course I worked at and he would visit family in Venezuela during the holidays… and drove an old ford F-150 that I remember him showing me had a trap door in the dash. Had a switch hidden under the dash that activated a motor that opened the trap door... he would use that truck to get across the mex/amer board. I use to trip on the fact he would always build his pipes out of air hose fittings, and I can remember the taste of the aluminum lol. It was not good. Good ol days!

Consolidated

76 Hawaiian
78 Colombian Santa Marta Gold
78 Colombian Red
79 Afghan
79 Black Opiated Hash (black marbled with white streaks)
80 Jamaican Lambs Bread
Hi bro... I don't know if we are talking about the same stuff, but I remember a hash from Kashmir - in Amsterdam around '84, black with small white opium grains -and as they used to say, real opiums.

barnbuster

Every year has had it's good and bad. At least I was lucky/connected/$$$$ enough in that I've had pot at the very least several times a year since the early 70's that's really kicked my ass. My memories of dope gone by has been clouded by the halcyon days of my youth.
Bright, spicy, gold, seeded Columbian pot that sent you on a rocket ship ride with no ceiling has always stood out in my mind however. Got lost on a road I had driven hundreds of time. Remember that like it was yesterday not 50! years ago.

Kryptonite

My favorite didn't have a name. If it did I'd call it "Robin's Firebird".
I was at my first girlfriend's house and she asked if I wanted to smoke a roach that she confiscated from the ashtray of her brother's firebird. We were 15-16 at the time, 82-83. We may have hit it two, maybe three times each, then got the munchies. It was one of the first times I've ever gotten high. It was a small village with a few hundred people. We went to the local grocery store "IGA" to pick up some munchies. I remember being sooo stoned and thinking everyone else knew that we were too. lol. We went back to her house and her Mom made us bologna. lettuce and mayo sandwiches. I never liked that before that day, but at the time it was the best thing I have ever put into my mouth. lol
I sure as hell miss those days .

oldmaninbc

A friend of mine... in the late 60s his parents divorced, his mother met an Indian diplomat and they moved to India. My friend sent us a few balls of hash in the mail, they were golf ball in size, the skin of the hash was indented with images of the sun, stars,moon and stickmen. It's hard for me to recall details like taste and smell.

After a smoking session I realized the quality of the smoke was very high. Soon after my girlfriend dropped by and was feeling frisky, here is where it all went downhill; every time I kissed her I felt like I was kissing a bowl of jello and this would result in uncontrollable laughter. She became upset with me and left. I have never had hash similar to this ever.