What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Thanks Dubi, I am loving the look of the Hondurans - tons of output from the columnar pheno! This is 8.5 weeks (with a great structural shot of Tikal x Honduran in the background):
picture.php

same plant, purple cola:
picture.php

the plant I described previously as hazey developing I am pretty sure is the longer flowering pheno:
picture.php

Tikal x Honduras is a bit slow to develop at 5weeks. This is entirely my fault, low temps and a plant sitting on bare soil led to cold roots. Its since been raised up a bit and seems a bit happier though VERY purple for this early in development:
picture.php

picture.php

Dubi you're sure making it easy to take pretty pictures!

Terpene

Veteran
Ace's Early BubbaHash at its 9.5 week chop under 11/13:
picture.php

Both plants smell like a much better version of Bubba Kush (dank, burning rubber, fuel, earth, coffee) but blackberry-fruity and more earth/coffee than I am used to from Bubba. One is slightly more Bubba smelling and the other is a bit more berry-ish, more purple.

Zamaldelica x Ethiopian starting to sprout true leaves... :biggrin:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
7.5 weeks into flower, the Tikal x Honduras are really showing purple! The smell on these is VERY close to what I expect from Pakistani Chitral kushes but closer to strawberry bubble gum.

picture.php

picture.php

Its been raining a lot for southern California (2-3x a week!) and the Tikal x Honduras seems to be more mold resistant than the pure Honduran which had a one or two spots of mold develop on its flowers. I have since brought the Hondurans back inside and they seem to be doing well.

Terpene

Veteran
Ace Tikal x Honduran holds up to nearly continual rain much better than the Honduran landrace does. I've left this one in the weather with nearly no mold anywhere on the plant. Shes just about done at 9.5 weeks:
picture.php

picture.php

Whole plant:
picture.php

Tom Hill Haze x Flo 2 weeks in is already showing color:
picture.php

Ethiopian x Zamaldelica just got transplanted into 4 inch pots:
picture.php

nksv

Hey Terpene, what kind of soil mix you using in that wicking set up? Thanks! I was playing around with micro sativas in 10l water bottles - wicking like mini soma beds. worked great!

Terpene

Veteran
Hey Terpene, what kind of soil mix you using in that wicking set up? Thanks! I was playing around with micro sativas in 10l water bottles - wicking like mini soma beds. worked great!

My current soil mix Im still testing, but Ive run these things for the last year with:

1 bag happy frog
1 bag ocean forest
1 bag worm gold (or similar) earth worm castings
couple cups of dolomite lime

That mix is way basic and seems to work great until you get really, really rootbound. My new mix (which I have only just started testing with young plants) is from DankFrank here on IC. My brighter lights (screw in LEDs) and smaller sub-irrigated containers (3.5gallon) have the plants needing more fuel later into their lives as I keep pushing for more stem thickness in the smallest space possible. I haven't run anything to completion in this mix yet. Its a bit hotter and will need to sit for a few weeks before planting.
3 gallon unfertilized garden soil
3 gallon perlite
2.5 gallon sphagnum peat
1.5 gallon coco coir
1 gallon ewc
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup blood meal
1 cup bone meal
2/3 cup oyster shell flour
1/2 cup alfalfa meal
1/2 cup dry molasses
1/2 cup seabird guano
1/2 cup azomite
1/3 cup dolomite
1/3 cup gypsum
2 tbsp Sul-Po-Mg

Terpene

Veteran
I was cleaning out the garage and guess what? I found more fixtures and LEDs - so my 150w screw in LED panel became a 250w panel. If you're going to build something, you might as well over build it.. :biggrin:
picture.php

Dj Short Flo x Tom Hill Purple Haze about a week from chop:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
My 4 phenos of Zamaldelica x Ethiopian starting to show their differences in veg.
picture.php

• The tallest plant has very african looking leaves, smells of blackberries like purple lines and shows purple quite readily in its stems and new leaf centers. I am quite enamored with this plant!
  • The middle two smell more like Zamaldelica but with fermenting citric fruits which I am assuming is an Ethiopian trait. Complex smells off the stems - mangos, rotting lemons and sweet carrots.
  • The smallest, somewhat runty plant smells like a mixture of both, but earthy/forest floor and more purple leaning like the tallest plant.

Dubi - how are the flowers on Zamaldelica x Ethiopian? A 50/50 mix of what you'd expect between: 11 out of 10 crazy sativa high and happy-energetic? My next seeds to hit dirt will be Mauritius x Zamaldelica, how do they grow / smoke / etc? What can you tell me about Mauritius?

G

Hey Terpene, wicked stuff!:)
Wanted to know.about Mauritius too,could it be the'mauritio lasko' used by tropical.seeds maybe?

The Hatter

Veteran
Thank you for the lesson, sensei. :tiphat:

Seriously, this was a very informative thread and that [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Purple Haze Malawi x Napalm[/FONT] cross looks like strait fire.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Terpene,

It's always a pleasure to see your updates friend! :)

The Early Bubba Hash (BubbaKush/HashPlant x ErdPurt) looks great indoors,
lovely solid afghani indica flowers.

The Tikal x Honduras looks great as well, seems that the hybrid displays a nice classic purple central american sativa expression, but much more tamed in size and with much shorter flowering time than pure Honduras or Purple Haze.

So happy to see you are already growing the new Zamaldelica x Ethiopian cross.
The ethiopian crosses are still untested. We have produced the ethiopian hybrids just a few months ago. We have been mainly working and testing the pure ethiopian for its release, but we hope to test all the ethiopian crosses recently produced in the upcoming months and years, and release the best ones in its due time.

Mauritius is an extreme long flowering pure tropical sativa (14-20 weeks flowering time) with 0 indica or western influence. Very wild sativa, similar to the more delicate and low yielding Green Haze phenos in behaviour (regarding plant structure, flowering time, stretching, flexibility, mold resistance), not very tamed for indoor growing yet. Its flowers are airy, without much resin production (at least indoors).

There are 2 main phenos: the woody/fruity pheno, which is more potent (higher THC content too), with a very electric and uplifting african sativa effect, with 0 body stone. The other pheno is the 'lavender' pheno: it has a softer, kinder, more balanced/feel good sativa effect, not so anxious like the first pheno, with lesser THC content, but it has very nice lavender aromas and better terpene profile. It's an interesting landrace sativa that we are still exploring although we already keep selected parental plants in our mother room that have been analyzed for both cannabinoid and terpene content and ratios. We need more time to keep exploring its potential.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hey Terpene, wicked stuff!:)
Wanted to know.about Mauritius too,could it be the'mauritio lasko' used by tropical.seeds maybe?

Hi Syd Barrett,

No, it's not related to any other seedbank release, different line.

Terpene

Veteran
Smoke updates:
Early BubbaHash - a better version of bubba in every regard. Better smell, flavor, stone is more rounded, less sleep inducing (though still pretty couchlocky).

Tikal x honduran - very kind smoke. We’ve been enjoying it uncured over the past week. I would describe it as a well balanced south american sativa with nice indica touches though its clearer and less soaring than you’d expect with a really nice PCKish-berries/bubblegum smell and flavor. I am sure that it will improve a great deal with time even though its great straight off the drying rack.

Green pheno of PCK x erdpurt - is strong as hell! Pleasant, slightly sleepy, comfy and warm, but borderline debilitating and very stoney. The missus said it took her the better part of a half hour to make it through the first paragraph of a book she was reading.

Honduras landrace update:
Record setting rainfall caused the hondurans to show minor mold issues and were brought indoors to finish off under the LEDs. I was under the impression they were close to finishing off as the rains started. I figured the rain would provide a bit of a freshwater flush though I under estimated by how much! When I brought the Hondurans inside, they were quite hungry. I have since fed them to try and green them up a bit but they’re not nearly as pretty as they were a few weeks ago.

On the other hand, they’re really stacking on the weight and the columnar pheno has a cola the near as makes no difference to the size of a 40oz bottle - not bad for 2 hungry plants sharing 13L of soil! Bringing them inside to dryer conditions (and 11D/13 from 10D/14 outside) has caused them to throw a bunch of new flowers and will probably extend the flowering time a bit.. Here are some shots at 14 weeks:

Columnar pheno
picture.php

picture.php

Stretchier pheno
picture.php

picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
After seeing how good the Tom Hill Purple Haze x Dj Short Flo turned out for my friend (image from a few posts back) my female has been pollinated by my purplest male:
picture.php

Zamaldelica x Ethiopian is really starting to rock and roll now. Here's the tallest, stretchy, floral-purple smelling plant in large veg in 4L of soil:
picture.php

The larger two Zamaldelica x Ethiopians in small veg are very ready for a transplant. They're very similar 60/40 leaning plants with mangoish-citric touches but one is already alternating nodes (left) whereas the other is still solidly in vegetative growth (right). Interestingly, the plant with alternating nodes is also more mangoish smelling while the other smells more citric. Some early veg guesses; the early maturity trait and mango odor makes this a 60/40 Zamaldelica pheno and the more lemony pheno will be 60/40 Ethiopian leaning.
The runtier floral purple smelling pheno (foreground) is probably a week or two behind as it has been its whole life.
picture.php

Super excited for my Mauritius x Ethiopian seeds to pop! :biggrin: Big thanks to Dubi for the education on the line and making these genetics available.

Terpene

Veteran
17 weeks on my Honduras and they're as finished as they need to be. Big output on these plants! Strong, lemony, old school sativa smells at chop. The columnar pheno grows differently (a collection of fox tails that make large flowers) than the stretchy pheno (denser, more traditional sativa flowers). I am really looking forward to trying the smoke here in a couple weeks.:biggrin:

Columnar pheno:
picture.php

picture.php

Stretchy pheno:
picture.php

picture.php

Big thanks to Dubi for making these genetics available!

Terpene

Veteran
The two more lemony, less branchy Ethiopian x Zamaldelica females in large veg:
picture.php

The mango-citric, branchy Ethiopian x Zamaldelica refused to show sex, so I tossed it into flower so it can throw its (presumed male) flowers:
picture.php

Not Ace lines, but pretty - Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether:
picture.php

picture.php

I am using these two as a test of the strength of my new lighting panel and nutrient value of the new soil mix. Both plants were very compact so I excessively vegged them till the stems were roughly 2 inches in diameter, then flowered. They are doing well, but the female may need additional magnesium fertilization - probably because the lights are so bright.

Terpene

Veteran
The Ethiopian x Zamaldelica phenos are all looking very spindly and smelling more and more dangerous by the day. Turns out the mango-citric Zamaldelica leaning plant from the previous post was female, so now we have a trio of females.

picture.php

The one topped male which is outdoors, is starting to develop flowers. He's got the best traits of both lines and leans very slightly more toward Ethiopian traits in terms of structure and smell, though his leaves have that signature thai leaf tip outwards curl but with african "bulges" mid leaf. I have been enamored with him since day one and I am looking forward to collecting pollen for future chucking experiments like Mauritius x Ethiopian.:biggrin:

Here are the girls on day one (the bigger plant, mango-citric Zamaldelica leaning pheno is on day 7)
picture.php

As you can see, I am playing with a new style of canopy management. Since light penetration is no longer an issue, I have decided to use tomato cages and wire ties to contain the side growth of the plants to the size of the cage. I know, they're already too big. :laughing:

The plant in the middle is the previously mentioned 60/40 mango-citric Zamaldelica leaning pheno which is very strong branching and reminds me most of Zamaldelicas I've run before. It will be an untopped test of the stretch of this line.

The next two plants were caged today, I apologize for the somewhat beaten up appearance.

The plant on the left side is the 60/40 Ethiopian leaning female that was topped for additional veg time. This plant has a mix of the warmer citric smells but tends to fall more toward the fermented lemons of the Ethiopian. Its vigor is the most similar to the untopped Zamaldelica leaning plant, but was vegged for an additional week or two after have its head cut off. I topped this plant because Dubi says that the Ethiopian produces a bit more and I wanted to see if untopped worked better for the line.

The plant on the right side is the smaller, more runty, very Ethiopian leaning plant. The structure is more delicate with U-shaped branching and sharp, spicy, lemon-lime flintstones vitamins smell. This plant will be untopped as well, but mainly because I think its going to be about 20-30% smaller than the other two plants.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Great work. I love the grow better -grow cheaper philosophy.

Your LED setups show that those who tried the same thing with cfl's weren't wrong, just a bit too soon for their time.

I don't subscribe often but this is too good to miss