What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reflective paint color

Koondense

Veteran
Depends on where you live(brand),
I'd go with a highly reflective gloss white.

Cheers

R

Rab.C

yes i agree 100% you need flat white...i was going too use masonry paint because it has protection against Mold.

RB56

Veteran
Reflective surfaces may be useful, if they are very close to the plant. If you are painting walls that will be several inches or more away from leaves, energy lost in reflection AND the impact of the inverse square law and increased path length (light to wall, wall to plant) probably reduces the utility of reflected light to almost nothing. LEDs make this consideration even less important since you shouldn't have light hitting your walls in the first place. I paint grow room walls and every wall and ceiling in my house white because I like it. Bright, easy to clean and keeps the light "clean" for viewing things.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Flat white, as most commonly suggested, has the highest reflection for paint. Easy to clean, easy to re-apply, fairly durable.

You can increase the reflection a bit more by adding powdered titanium. ;)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Ceiling paint is designed for maximum reflection.
More reflective particles are mixed in with the flat white tint.

White Beard

Multiple coats, titanium white, flat.

The lack of “reflection”:is nothing - the flat surface diffuses the light throughout the space, making it as bright (evenly-distributed) as possible. If you can see ‘darker’ white places, you need another coat, and not just on that spot.

X

xavier7995

Is there a reason not to use something like kilz? Someone else mentioned it, and i concur, that some sort of anti-mold/mildew paint would be the way to go it seems. White in color to stay relevant to the op question.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Multiple coats, titanium white, flat.

The lack of “reflection”:is nothing - the flat surface diffuses the light throughout the space, making it as bright (evenly-distributed) as possible. If you can see ‘darker’ white places, you need another coat, and not just on that spot.

I saw that tested on YouTube. I'm convinced.

White Beard

Is there a reason not to use something like kilz? Someone else mentioned it, and i concur, that some sort of anti-mold/mildew paint would be the way to go it seems. White in color to stay relevant to the op question.

Kilz IMO would be fine, but it’s an undercoat, not a cover coat: it’s white, but translucent and your finished surface must show full coverage w/ no mottling, or you’re wasting time and paint.

Biologist

I have to agree with RB56 on this one. In tests with my light meter I get at most about 10% more light at the canopy with reflective surfaces right up next to the plants. Walls far away I have even less confidence in it mattering to the plants. I used to be very religious about stray light reflection but I’m reconsidering that and if it is worth the loss of air circulation and the gain in heat from having the plants surrounded by panda film, walls, fabric, etc. Always best to just get a light meter and test. What looks like a lot more light to our eyes is often not very much on the meter.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I have to agree with RB56 on this one. In tests with my light meter I get at most about 10% more light at the canopy with reflective surfaces right up next to the plants. Walls far away I have even less confidence in it mattering to the plants. I used to be very religious about stray light reflection but I’m reconsidering that and if it is worth the loss of air circulation and the gain in heat from having the plants surrounded by panda film, walls, fabric, etc. Always best to just get a light meter and test. What looks like a lot more light to our eyes is often not very much on the meter.
Migro has done comprehensive testing on surface materials. While his site does promote "Migro lights" the test conducted on a whole hockey sock full of various lights seem impartial. That being said, reflective material is "generic" and hence the data is what the data is :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZwj4zGhH1yklVFxS54qdA

RB56

Veteran
Migro has done comprehensive testing on surface materials. While his site does promote "Migro lights" the test conducted on a whole hockey sock full of various lights seem impartial. That being said, reflective material is "generic" and hence the data is what the data is :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZwj4zGhH1yklVFxS54qdA
I use Migro fixtures in my flower room - love them. Having the ability to individually aim each luminaire makes it possible to keep all direct light off the walls, making reflective surfaces even less important.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I'm subbed and, Shane has some great stuff on his channel. Just like when he did a comparative test on plain mylar and the textured kind. As expected the textured kind reflected more light (larger surface area) but, the delta was minimal. So if, budget is a consideration, plain mylar will do nicely.