What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So you want to make easy safe hash oil with everclear?

mexweed

Veteran
way too dark, the alcohol should more or less be as clear after the wash as it was before

limiting contact time with the material is how to avoid chlorophyll, and cold temperature is how to avoid turning the solution brown, the alcohol and material must be kept at freezer temps

when mixing keep it under 20 seconds and take into account what material is left when it's filtering, there shouldn't really be anything sitting in the final filter with the liquid

Rico Swazi

spot on mexweed

long soaks extract too many impurities

The OP needs to pay attention to purging temps as I bet he burned off many of the terpenes along with the EtOH

Burned off a good amount of alcohol,,moved to kitchen counter now to finish...

keep it low and slow and use a thermometer next time is my suggestion

picture.php

picture.php

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
this thread shows a method to make weed oil not hash oil. Not trying to be a dick or nuthin, just observing.

I use grain alcohol (everclear 95%/190 proof) to make my Hash Oil but first I make the hash the oil will be made from
I make water hash then dry it and age it for 3 to 6 months. It is a full melt blonde hash and you can see the quality here
picture.php

I use everclear that has been stored in my deep freeze at -18C and dissolve the hash thoroughly. Strain thru filters and then evap over a water bath low and slow.
Then it goes into a vacuum pot and again going low and slow, gets fully purged over a 24hr period.

it usually comes out looking like this.... a real nice clean amber "Hash Oil"
picture.php

mexweed

Veteran
it will be a while before I do a batch, but when I do I will get some pics, it comes out a lot lighter, it's a very light golden color

I don't use heat to purge as much as I do to make it soft enough to scrape up, I never work with too much volume so I just put the dish under a fan usually overnight until it's fully dry, then boil some water on the lowest temp possible the water has bubbles coming up from the bottom gently surfacing, and place the dish over it for 15 minutes

when it's in the dish it's clear/white and doesn't take on a golden color until it's scraped up, I use pretty fresh sugar trim and any lower buds that never filled in, I let it sit out in a bowl and it goes in the freezer when the buds go into jars

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
it will be a while before I do a batch, but when I do I will get some pics, it comes out a lot lighter, it's a very light golden color

I don't use heat to purge as much as I do to make it soft enough to scrape up, I never work with too much volume so I just put the dish under a fan usually overnight until it's fully dry, then boil some water on the lowest temp possible the water has bubbles coming up from the bottom gently surfacing, and place the dish over it for 15 minutes

when it's in the dish it's clear/white and doesn't take on a golden color until it's scraped up, I use pretty fresh sugar trim and any lower buds that never filled in, I let it sit out in a bowl and it goes in the freezer when the buds go into jars

yes I can get a lighter color as well but depends on the harvest window of the trichomes. All my trim is from plants taken to 30% amber before harvest. Definitely affects final product. Spread thin the oil in that bowl in my pic is a translucent golden amber. There is a lot of oil in that bowl so it appears much darker. If I take the plants just when the heads go cloudy and keep everything nice and cold during processing, and then make the oil right away instead of aging the hash.... I can get that more "honey-like" color.

Rico Swazi

harvest window AND/OR overheating can make the oil dark
I have to use a thermometer to make sure it stays just over 172F or my oil darkens. I don't decarb the oil for smoking but do my 'weed oil' that I use for edibles. Perhaps that is how the OP is using it?

I harvest cloudy when the plant is smelling the loudest
don't care for yield so much as its a quality over quantity thing
I'll freeze dried flower and EtOH a few days then 2 min wash
one more pic of the same extraction showing it is thicker than it looks

Latest posts

Latest posts