What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me choose a rosin press?

I own and use the Dab Press bj6t35 and i cant see myself needing the 10t model. The 6 tones is more than enough for 7g presses at a time and works amazingly for bubblehash too.

Nice what temps do you use and at what psi? I'm getting pretty hyped about this.

I spoke with the rep and he said the Strongway pump that fits the DabPress presses is discontinued. He suggested the best way to get everything compatible is to look at the list of compatible pumps on the DabPress web site. Click here and scroll down to see the pumps and where you can buy them in your country...

Ok cool, thanks man.

Crd.inc drip tech unit would be my vote for budget.

What's Crd.inc?

I have a 20 ton separate hand pump on my press and never get past 500-1000 psi or it blows out the screen or bags even the parchment so a large pump and ram are not necessary.

What temps and psi give you good results with flower or hash?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
There is a discount code for DabPress listed on their site. I think it said DP5 for a 5% discount.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I only press hash powder, or Kif at 180-220 at 500-1000 psi any more heat it starts cooking the terps any more pressure you get blowouts of the bag or screen...

kalopatchkid

Veteran
PSI is more relevant to the size of your plates than the strength of your pump.

I use a 10t press on 3x5 plates

A 10t press (20,000lbs) on 3x5 (15sq inches) = 1333psi max. I'm usually only pressing up to 6-8tons on the press which translates to 800-1066psi

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a DIY 10 ton with gauge and 3x5 plates. So far, I've pressed 3-4 lbs of flower, all home grown wide range of genetics. I've noticed that the higher tonnages are needed when I'm pressing larger quantities. I suspect this is because the puck spreads out and the larger area requires more pressure. With bags, I'm only able to press 7-10g's at a time, but when I make my own wraps with double layer 90 cheesecloth I can do a full 28g's in one press. I pre mould the flower like a sushi rice shape (or dog turd!) and tie at one end with (unflavored) dental floss. It works better than the bags, but takes a bit of practice.

One of the reasons I switched to cheesecloth is that I think the bags are only achieving containment, and 'filtering' is not really needed, at least not on fresh intact flower. The cheesecloth allows better containment under more pressure. The result is more rosin out, and a basically dry puck on first run.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I have a DIY 10 ton with gauge and 3x5 plates. So far, I've pressed 3-4 lbs of flower, all home grown wide range of genetics. I've noticed that the higher tonnages are needed when I'm pressing larger quantities. I suspect this is because the puck spreads out and the larger area requires more pressure. With bags, I'm only able to press 7-10g's at a time, but when I make my own wraps with double layer 90 cheesecloth I can do a full 28g's in one press. I pre mould the flower like a sushi rice shape (or dog turd!) and tie at one end with (unflavored) dental floss. It works better than the bags, but takes a bit of practice.

One of the reasons I switched to cheesecloth is that I think the bags are only achieving containment, and 'filtering' is not really needed, at least not on fresh intact flower. The cheesecloth allows better containment under more pressure. The result is more rosin out, and a basically dry puck on first run.

Using a pre-press mold helps a lot for preventing blowouts and pressing larger quantities at once. I normally do bout 20grams at a time and compress it under 1 ton into a nice little brick that slides right into a bag.
I almost never do second presses as the return is never very good and the rosin is darker and tastes not as good.

Nice, thanks man.

I only press hash powder, or Kif at 180-220 at 500-1000 psi any more heat it starts cooking the terps any more pressure you get blowouts of the bag or screen...

What size plates do you use, and how many g's at a time do you press?

PSI is more relevant to the size of your plates than the strength of your pump.

I use a 10t press on 3x5 plates

A 10t press (20,000lbs) on 3x5 (15sq inches) = 1333psi max. I'm usually only pressing up to 6-8tons on the press which translates to 800-1066psi

That was helpful, really cleared up my confusion on the pressure. How many g's are you pressing at that psi?

Would you be able to get more flower on the press if you pre-pressed like kalopatchkid recommends?

Using a pre-press mold helps a lot for preventing blowouts and pressing larger quantities at once. I normally do bout 20grams at a time and compress it under 1 ton into a nice little brick that slides right into a bag.
I almost never do second presses as the return is never very good and the rosin is darker and tastes not as good.

Are your pre-presses heated, or just with pressure?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
That was helpful, really cleared up my confusion on the pressure. How many g's are you pressing at that psi?

Are your pre-presses heated, or just with pressure?

No heat on the pre-press. Places like rosinevolution sell them to fit specific sizes of bags. You need the pre-press mold to be about 0.5 inch smaller than your bags to account for their final thickness, otherwise its real hard to get them in. IMO, a pre-press is a pretty important piece of a setup.

I usually press around 15-20g's at a time with a 10 ton press. My return is normally in the 15-20% range on flowers.

EsterEssence

Veteran
My plates are 6”x5” with 2 pid heaters per plate. I was doing 100 gram pucks first pressed cold at 20 tons in the mold, I then press them at 100 degrees and use just the bag usually a food saver bag. I then remove the bag cut the puck in half, take the 50 gm puck wrap it in a coffee filter, then a piece of fine wire mesh, then a piece of ptfe film around the mesh leaving one end open for the rosin to flow from. I put it in the press at 180-220* and slowly begin to press the packet, flip the press on it’s side and slowly increase the pressure until the rosin starts dripping out, onto a frozen tile with a piece of parchment on it. I let it drip until the flow slows down. I don’t add any more heat or pressure, that rosin comes even darker and not as good. Unfortunately trim has become so popular that I only have my own this year which isn’t much so I may do some bags and not try to do the directional flow, with the large pucks...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
My plates are 6”x5” with 2 pid heaters per plate. I was doing 100 gram pucks first pressed cold at 20 tons in the mold, I then press them at 100 degrees and use just the bag usually a food saver bag. I then remove the bag cut the puck in half, take the 50 gm puck wrap it in a coffee filter, then a piece of fine wire mesh, then a piece of ptfe film around the mesh leaving one end open for the rosin to flow from. I put it in the press at 180-220* and slowly begin to press the packet, flip the press on it’s side and slowly increase the pressure until the rosin starts dripping out, onto a frozen tile with a piece of parchment on it. I let it drip until the flow slows down. I don’t add any more heat or pressure, that rosin comes even darker and not as good. Unfortunately trim has become so popular that I only have my own this year which isn’t much so I may do some bags and not try to do the directional flow, with the large pucks...

I would love to see a vid or some pics. Sounds like a nice setup. Are your plates home made?

EsterEssence

Veteran
The press and the directional flow is in videos on YouTube by Sunfire. The press I have is the one in the videos. Sunfire made the plates and the press itself.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would you be able to get more flower on the press if you pre-pressed like kalopatchkid recommends?

Unless I read wrong, my 28 grams per press on 3x5 plates is more than kalopatchkid is getting? I thought he said 20 per press, which is about the limit I've seen elsewhere with bags on 3x5 plates.

I do 'pre-press' when I use the cheesecloth/dental floss wrap, I just do it with my hand (my grip is strong, I'm a competitive arm wrestler). I squeeze it into a sort of sushi rice ball, kind of elongated like a dog turd. Also, cheesecloth seems stronger and less prone to blowouts than the bags, so I'm often able to press the puck basically dry in one shot. But, that's just my experiences. Maybe I need more learning on the bags and how to use them right.

No heat on the pre-press. Places like rosinevolution sell them to fit specific sizes of bags. You need the pre-press mold to be about 0.5 inch smaller than your bags to account for their final thickness, otherwise its real hard to get them in. IMO, a pre-press is a pretty important piece of a setup.

I usually press around 15-20g's at a time with a 10 ton press. My return is normally in the 15-20% range on flowers.

Cheers guys, great info.

Unless I read wrong, my 28 grams per press on 3x5 plates is more than kalopatchkid is getting? I thought he said 20 per press, which is about the limit I've seen elsewhere with bags on 3x5 plates.

I do 'pre-press' when I use the cheesecloth/dental floss wrap, I just do it with my hand (my grip is strong, I'm a competitive arm wrestler). I squeeze it into a sort of sushi rice ball, kind of elongated like a dog turd. Also, cheesecloth seems stronger and less prone to blowouts than the bags, so I'm often able to press the puck basically dry in one shot. But, that's just my experiences. Maybe I need more learning on the bags and how to use them right.

No I read wrong lol. Thanks for the info brother. At this point I'm just considering my buy in terms of value/dollar. Got my eye on either the dabpress 10ton or the crd 20 ton mini.

You need the pre-press mold to be about 0.5 inch smaller than your bags to account for their final thickness, otherwise its real hard to get them in.

To clarify this point, do you mean 0.5 inches smaller on both sides? I got the DabPress 10-ton unit with 3x5 plates. I'm noticing that most bags for the press are 2.5in x 4.5in, which I'm assuming is for 3x5 plates. But the molds usually have smaller interior dimensions than exterior, for example this pre-mold

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGTLB8X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P8LDQ6RTXEY6&psc=1

is advertised as 3x5, but obviously it is smaller due to the nature of the design. So if this is roughly 2.5 by 4.5, then there's a problem right? As I can't have both the bag the mold be the same size. Meaning I'd either need 3x5 bags, or a 2x4 mold?

zamzia

Veteran
The press and the directional flow is in videos on YouTube by Sunfire. The press I have is the one in the videos. Sunfire made the plates and the press itself.

There's a band called Sunfire on youtube and a guy fixing Pontiacs, but can't see anything for presses?! Can you help please?