What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dyna Gro KLN?

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anybody use Dyna Gro's KLN growth stimulate? I was going to pick up SUPERthrive but i heard they changed the formula an it was less effective.

I got persuaded to pick up KLN which contains vitamin B1 and NAA, plus another synthetic rooting hormone, indole acetic acid, or IBA. The hormones are very powerful chemicals, and with the B1, are known to stimulate the initiation of root growth.

I fed my seedlings a solution of it, and i can see through the cup the roots took off! A healthy root system = a healthy plant.

I just wanted to know if it's okay to feed a solution of this or foliar feed, 1 tsp per gallon all the way through veg and stop around the 1st wk or 2 of flowering?

Anybody who uses this product or anything like it please chime in with your experience!

picture.php

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Ive used it as a foliar for young plants when I'm out of thrive alive. It works well but I prefer thrive alive red as an all purpose any stage foliar.. helps keep things nice and green.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive used it as a foliar for young plants when I'm out of thrive alive. It works well but I prefer thrive alive red as an all purpose any stage foliar.. helps keep things nice and green.

I was gonna go with Thrive Alive but it's kinda on the expensive side for someone on budget. I heard good things about Super Thrive but doing research i came to the conclusion KLN is about the same or better than ST.

Beside foliar feeding do you think it's safe to use thru out veg in a diluted ratio feeding with ferts?

I also foliar with Thrive Alive red and green. Really good results. 1ml per 16oz sprayer covers my tiny veg room and any plant in early flower. A bottle lasts forever.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I agree a little goes a long ways. I mix up about 12ml to a gallon and it works really well as a foliar. I can't answer about super thrive. Can't say I've ever checked it out. On the bottle TA has a mixture for non foliar feeding

BubbaBear

KLN is a legit rooting agent but it's just that a hormone rooting agent, comparing it to Thrive Alive is apples to oranges. Just because they both have vitamin B in them doesn't mean they cant be used at the same time. Thrive Alive is primarily kelp and nutrients not rooting hormones. KLN is one of the only rooting agents that's upfront about its ingredients. It's a super versatile product too, dip cuttings in it and it roots clones, use it at as a foliar or root drench and it blows out your roots, couple it with a good microbe product and it rivals Roots Excelurator.

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

I love KLN. It has 2 rooting hormones like dip n grow and works way better then single hormone stuff like clonex. It's for rooting plants though. You can't foliar your plants with it. It has a light acid in it and ANYTHING it touches is all knarled in root bumps after 2 days. I would think it would seriously mess up your plants.

I thought the whole vitamin b thing was proven to be a myth. You don't need the extra products. You need prime conditions to thrive.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
You don't need the extra products. You need prime conditions to thrive.

This is how i feel as well, many plants clone simply by just setting cuttings in a cup of clean water and changing the water daily. (Slow, though effortless)

Alot of plants produce their own rooting hormone just under the outer layer of stem skin/bark called the cambium layer, this is why gently scraping around the base helps them root quicker/more abundantly.

Cloning is kind of like flushing in a way, the cuttings wait to put out roots until the food in its fan leaves becomes depleted and it needs to search for more with roots. I usually clip off the cutting's end 1/3 of the fan leaves fingers to speed the hunger/need roots process up.

CrushnYuba

This is how i feel as well, many plants clone simply by just setting cuttings in a cup of clean water and changing the water daily. (Slow, though effortless)

Alot of plants produce their own rooting hormone just under the outer layer of stem skin/bark called the cambium layer, this is why gently scraping around the base helps them root quicker/more abundantly.

Cloning is kind of like flushing in a way, the cuttings wait to put out roots until the food in its fan leaves becomes depleted and it needs to search for more with roots. I usually clip off the cutting's end 1/3 of the fan leaves fingers to speed the hunger/need roots process up.

Just to be clear. Ido use rooting hormone. Dyna grow kln and gel is my favorite. You can root no problem without hormone but It Will go faster with It.

When i say you don't need all the extra products, I'm talking about the snake oil. The vitamin and fairy dust you sprinkle at transplant. Root accelerators and whitners and bla bla. I Garuntee my clones take off faster then any indoor growers on here. It's not because i sprinkle fairy dust, it's because my conditions are better in my greenhouse then can be achieved indoors and everything is ideal.

FLAgreenthumb

I Garuntee my clones take off faster then any indoor growers on here. It's not because i sprinkle fairy dust, it's because my conditions are better in my greenhouse then can be achieved indoors and everything is ideal.

That's a hell of a statement!!! lol and quite an assumption. :laughing:

not that i really care..lol I'm sure yours probably do root faster than mine... i was just reading it and i was like damn... thats a ballsy statement...lol anyway... peace man :tiphat:

BillFarthing

Veteran
It's not because i sprinkle fairy dust, it's because my conditions are better in my greenhouse then can be achieved indoors and everything is ideal.

I'm sure your Afghani smokes great after it's uncompressed from the brick! :laughing: I'm always amazed at the hubris and fanboys in this industry. Pics or it didn't happen.

KLN is great. The bottle always went bad for me because it was so concentrated.

frostqueen

KLN is a great product, an old standby. It stimulates lateral root growth. I use it once upon transplant (any size) at 5ml per gallon.

Also great used in small amounts in the aerocloner; I'm personally not very cool, so I go ahead and use KLN to speed up the progress of my roots. Because... um, why wouldn't I? KLN is cheap as hell and cuts 5-7 days off of the overall rooting time. But hey: to each their own.

So yeah: I use it once at the beginning. After that I let Roots Excelurator do its magic for two or three waterings, at which time the roots are already massive and I stop.