What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No till 20 gallon

Samuel Caldwell

420giveaway
Thanks!

Front pot is bagseed. She's taking her time to develop. She's got a huge stalk and some massive flowers. I hope she's got some good effects.

Middle pot is my purple haze bagseed keeper and booberry kush from Stank Bros seeds.

Back pot are two Ace Zamaldelica fems. I've been posting updates in the main Zam thread.

qball520

Thanks!

Front pot is bagseed. She's taking her time to develop. She's got a huge stalk and some massive flowers. I hope she's got some good effects.

Middle pot is my purple haze bagseed keeper and booberry kush from Stank Bros seeds.

Back pot are two Ace Zamaldelica fems. I've been posting updates in the main Zam thread.

Sweet bro they look amazing. Imma have to check out your thread!

Rico Swazi

MM and I had an offline conversation regarding what "no-till" implies and I figured it would be easier to start a new thread. I'll post my thoughts on this when I get some free time. Cheers!

Has that thread been created?

Wanted to post this before I forgot
I have a theory and some experience on how a closed system could work with no till containers-
crop rotation , polyculture including companion planting and keeping plants 'living' year round
dormant plants fit in that 'living' category, weeds too.

mono-cropping only works so long in the natural world without showing signs of fatigue for lack of a better word. Wasn't til i grew other plants instead of or beside my cannabis that my containers started to show no-til promise

different crops require a different nutrient profile and will balance things out is what I think I want to say in a nutshell
been a no-tiller since 2012, I have 8 containers that have never been emptied out since then

This is the class of 2019

picture.php

qball520

Has that thread been created?

Wanted to post this before I forgot
I have a theory and some experience on how a closed system could work with no till containers-
crop rotation , polyculture including companion planting and keeping plants 'living' year round
dormant plants fit in that 'living' category, weeds too.

mono-cropping only works so long in the natural world without showing signs of fatigue for lack of a better word. Wasn't til i grew other plants instead of or beside my cannabis that my containers started to show no-til promise

different crops require a different nutrient profile and will balance things out is what I think I want to say in a nutshell
been a no-tiller since 2012, I have 8 containers that have never been emptied out since then

This is the class of 2019

View Image

That's sweet bro! 7 years strong and some beautiful plants you have!

h.h.

Veteran
I agree with KIS.
You may hit a sweet spot, but eventually it’s gonna collapse.
Not all at once. It will creep up on you.
No till in pots is an academic exercise.

Limited til to me isn’t tearing up the top couple inches though I can see why.
Still tearing up the fungal networks. I only make small scars to side dress with plenty of undisturbed surface area. I believe it heals faster.

If I had a bottomless pot. I would take an inch or so of soil off the bottom while adding to the top.
Peyton/Falcon btw.

Rico Swazi

That's sweet bro! 7 years strong and some beautiful plants you have!

Thanks qball, outside containers are a different beast than indoors and hats off to anyone as yourself and Mr Caldwell for attempting no til indoors.:tiphat: Outside there is interaction with bugs and microbes in the air and soil which is limited somewhat indoors.
How are yours doing now? Better over time?

major surgery in '11 forced me into changing it up otherwise I would be dumping everything out, re-amend, mix mix and then pot up. Recycled soil is what I did for years.

The pic below is from 2014 when it first occurred to me that plants were healthier when they were intercropped. The second on the left struggled while the others thrived. I use the same mature aged compost with the only difference being overwintered onion and grasses left to grow in the others.

Just a theory but as h.h. said above
so many factors to consider when exercising

type, age and quality of the initial compost or base mix would be at the top of that list IMHO and that alone is often the deal breaker

picture.php

my definition for closed loop is not being dumped out and mixed, not that it is self sustainable.

Amendments are part of the loop the way I see it, scratched in the surface is fine.

some definitions that we can all agree on would be nice

qball520

I agree with KIS.
You may hit a sweet spot, but eventually it’s gonna collapse.
Not all at once. It will creep up on you.

Limited til to me isn’t tearing up the top couple inches though I can see why.
Still tearing up the fungal networks. I only make small scars to side dress with plenty of undisturbed surface area. I believe it heals faster. I'm in the springs your not to far from me.

If I had a bottomless pot. I would take an inch or so of soil off the bottom while adding to the top.
Peyton/Falcon btw.

That is so ture about it being an academic exercise and I wish I also had bottomless pot to take from the bottom as well.

Last edited:

qball520

Thanks qball, outside containers are a different beast than indoors and hats off to anyone as yourself and Mr Caldwell for attempting no til indoors.:tiphat: Outside there is interaction with bugs and microbes in the air and soil which is limited somewhat indoors.
How are yours doing now? Better over time?

major surgery in '11 forced me into changing it up otherwise I would be dumping everything out, re-amend, mix mix and then pot up. Recycled soil is what I did for years.

The pic below is from 2014 when it first occurred to me that plants were healthier when they were intercropped. The second on the left struggled while the others thrived. I use the same mature aged compost with the only difference being overwintered onion and grasses left to grow in the others.

Just a theory but as h.h. said above
so many factors to consider when exercising

type, age and quality of the initial compost or base mix would be at the top of that list IMHO and that alone is often the deal breaker

View Image

my definition for closed loop is not being dumped out and mixed, not that it is self sustainable.

Amendments are part of the loop the way I see it, scratched in the surface is fine.

some definitions that we can all agree on would be nice

I think next summer imma try a few no till pots outdoor. I never thought about the benefit of the interaction with bugs and microbes in the air. My indoor no till are doing pretty good just waiting for some beans to come in so I can get everything started. Its been awhile since I used them but have been feeding them with teas. Beautiful plants you got there cant wait to see how they finish.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As you probably know the key to successful indoor no-til is to bring in all those bugs n' such. Most growers are too clean to pull this off.

qball520

As you probably know the key to successful indoor no-til is to bring in all those bugs n' such. Most growers are too clean to pull this off.

That is very true. This time I'm doing a lil more research and trying to incorporate bugs and all the other lil things to run this no till indoor right. If you have any tips or suggestions please let me know I'm all ears.

Rico Swazi

stop all pesticide use immediately (Edit- most growers kill bugs because they see them as 'dirty' )
bring in beneficials by growing companion plants outside the grow room/house
better yet, grow them right along side your cannabis plants

Its called an insectary

https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/garden-mini-insectary/

be patient, observant and learn to help nature balance things out

Last edited:

qball520

stop all pesticide use immediately (Edit- most growers kill bugs because they see them as 'dirty' )
bring in beneficials by growing companion plants outside the grow room/house
better yet, grow them right along side your cannabis plants

Its called an insectary

https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/garden-mini-insectary/

be patient, observant and learn to help nature balance things out

Hell yeah imma have to grow some companion plants. What kind of plants would be good for that?

h.h.

Veteran
I think next summer imma try a few no till pots outdoor. I never thought about the benefit of the interaction with bugs and microbes in the air. My indoor no till are doing pretty good just waiting for some beans to come in so I can get everything started. Its been awhile since I used them but have been feeding them with teas. Beautiful plants you got there cant wait to see how they finish.
Got hail net?

Rico Swazi

hail and wind protection, good call h.h.

I admit to never growing in a sealed indoor room
2012, I converted a garden shed into an indoor outdoor grow room to be close to the garden and beneficials for that purpose
and to use some free lumens

not much to write home about on the yield side but they were healthy up til harvest.
wish I had the funds to give it another go knowing what I know now
rates went up again, not gonna happen

picture.php

qball; there is a list of plants in the link I gave
a good start for you would be to put alliums (garlic onions or shallots) in the pot with your cannabis plant as they help repel aphids but not the good guys. there were onions in the containers that I harvested, I see i may have missed a couple.
If I could turn back time:biggrin:
Speaking of time... I believe as MM does that it takes perhaps a year (two?) for the soil to act the way we want.
pic above is first year of the seven

Last edited:

qball520

hail and wind protection, good call h.h.

I admit to never growing in a sealed indoor room
2012, I converted a garden shed into an indoor outdoor grow room to be close to the garden and beneficials for that purpose
and to use some free lumens

not much to write home about on the yield side but they were healthy up til harvest.
wish I had the funds to give it another go knowing what I know now
rates went up again, not gonna happen

View Image

qball; there is a list of plants in the link I gave
a good start for you would be to put alliums (garlic onions or shallots) in the pot with your cannabis plant as they help repel aphids but not the good guys. there were onions in the containers that I harvested, I see i may have missed a couple.
If I could turn back time:biggrin:
Speaking of time... I believe as MM does that it takes perhaps a year (two?) for the soil to act the way we want.
pic above is first year of the seven

Ok cool thank you bro! Imma fully read the link you sent me and imma get right on that.

Latest posts

Latest posts