What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC Acetate

andl

I have the book Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold for nearly 20yrs.

I also never managed to score this elusive unicorn THC form. So I only heared rumours of it's 2-3x potency in comparison to pure THC

But what I always wondered was that where did D. Gold get the idea of creating an Acetate form of THC?

Now I know. It's the same principle of converting Morphine to Heroin.
Thanks for pointing that out Graywolf. :)

My bet is that he was thinking what would this same principle do to THC and does it also increase in potency like Morphine to Heroin?
Well I don't think he betted wrong for choosing the green horse... :D

well if you look at the molecules this is not true....

Attachments

• 1024px-Morphin_-_Morphine.svg.jpg
    1024px-Morphin_-_Morphine.svg.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1280px-Heroin_-_Heroine.svg.jpg
    1280px-Heroin_-_Heroine.svg.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 1920px-Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg.jpg
    1920px-Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 23

andl

well if you look at the molecules this is not true....

no nitrogen inside the molecule, no 2 OH (hydroxy groups to connect with) at the end whats also important

only one OH group in THC and covered of stabilized rings all around soooo.....

not true

this is much diffrent chemistry

andl

ok some more info

first correct name is THC ethylacetate so its an ester in fact, conection to the open hydroxy group, as wolf proofed, i was absolutly incorrect the thc-o-acetate is a salt its a fact an oil produced out of fresh THCVA or dry THC (carboxylated) they were making expiriments since 60/70s with it

they use to work with highly concentrated forms of thc 99,5%+ (crystals) then used acetic anhydride to make the esther, everything has to be water free for perfect conditions (because in organic chemistry water is mostly an impurity)

there would dbe serveral solvents you can use, but N-Alkanes, Dioxan, Diethylether all of them should work and many more. DCM (dichlormethane) should also work very well

heres a quote from wikipedia (theres only information in english about it but still very interesting:

THC acetate ester (THC-O-acetate; THC acetate) is the acetate ester of THC. It acts as a metabolic prodrug for THC itself, and chemically works the same way that heroin does as a metabolic prodrug for morphine. It has been reported to be approximately two times as potent as THC[1] to approximately three times as potent as THC[2] with a unique psychedelic high described as follows.[1]
"The effect of the acetate is more spiritual and psychedelic than that of the ordinary product. The most unique property of this material is that there is a delay of about thirty minutes before its effects are felt."

they even claimed it comes closer too mushrooms or lsd

QUOTE:
The acetylation of THC does not change the properties of the compound to the same extent as with other acetate esters (e.g. morphine vs heroin), as the parent compound (THC) is already highly lipophilic, but potency is nonetheless increased to some extent"QUOTE END

thats why i said its quit not the same like morphine into heroine.

Attachments

• thc-o-acetate-structure.jpg
    thc-o-acetate-structure.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 29
  • THC-O_Acetate1.jpg
    THC-O_Acetate1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 27
  • marihuana_potecy_book.jpg
    marihuana_potecy_book.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

andl

a question for wolf is it really true to get spiritual psychedelic expiernce with it and it takes about 30 minutes to really kick in? potential should also double or triple effect of pure 99,5% THC crystalls ! OMFG

andl

i have some nice BHO here and i got the glassware but i couldnt get the acetic anhydride to buy here because of precursors....

and its hard to make the anhydride out of the glacial acetic acid by yourself.... you wont belief how hard its to get out last traces of water....

but you could get it with some 80%ETOH/20%H2=/and the anhydride maybe i can work it out with some over pure glacial acetic acid (or ethylester of it) but i doubt it will wok properly....

this OH group isnt to get off easy...

andl

somemore about wolf did you test it in your lab did you really get everything into the o-acetate form or is it still some thc and thc acetate? ratios

with the procedure youre posted decades ago? :D

andl

i really want to try this, i m working on a manual which i want to try out, but i still need to get into this much more.

i m not very much into cannabinoid chemistry, so need to inform properly

andl

the CBD structure is very interesting because of the C=C doulble bond you could enter there Nitro groups Nitroethane/nitromethane group CH3-Ch2-NO2 or CH3-NO2

even amino groups like CH3-NH2 or so

and acetylate the OH group to the ester, this would be a very new molecule.

the nitro group will make it less lipohilic and with the acetylation should get a much better blood barrier crossing in your brain (which means hits harder and faster)

an other ideo is to make the acetate (THC-O-Acetate) and then make an amide out of it with the nitrogen group this could cause absolutely noting (inactivate it) or it kicks it even more because enter blood/brain barrier faster, look here

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonsäureamide

its then also possible to cut down the amide to an amine!

with LIAH this may causes troubles in oter double bonds but you could enter "schutzgruppen" protecion groups to just dock onto the OH group

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a question for wolf is it really true to get spiritual psychedelic expiernce with it and it takes about 30 minutes to really kick in? potential should also double or triple effect of pure 99,5% THC crystalls ! OMFG

It is truly a pleasant and unique experience, but happens virtually instantly upon toking. Hard to describe, but virtually everyone said that it wasn't what they were expecting.

It includes both head effects and subtle color spectrum shifts and is certainly peaceful and catholic.

As far as 2 or 3X, hard to say because the effects are different and come on so quickly, that the most common response was, "wow", or "oh wow".

It definitely comes in over the top of a good standard high!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
somemore about wolf did you test it in your lab did you really get everything into the o-acetate form or is it still some thc and thc acetate? ratios

with the procedure youre posted decades ago? :D

We tested it using our own GC and it showed the THC peak shifted to the left. We don't have a MS, and never did send out a sample for GC/MS or HPLC/MS.

We didn't try to reconcile the rest of the cannabinoid peaks.

andl

We tested it using our own GC and it showed the THC peak shifted to the left. We don't have a MS, and never did send out a sample for GC/MS or HPLC/MS.

thanks for information, very interesting.

andl

because i thought about a little more and i think one of the best things would be

to getht the cannabinoids seperate through Cromotographytube and then (they seperate in diffrent cannabinoid phases which come through) then (may clean it) and use it then with the anhydride to make some serious product!

what do you think about that?

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
because i thought about a little more and i think one of the best things would be

to getht the cannabinoids seperate through Cromotographytube and then (they seperate in diffrent cannabinoid phases which come through) then (may clean it) and use it then with the anhydride to make some serious product!

what do you think about that?

Column chromatography would certainly produce a quality starting product.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The tension mounts! I ran our THC-O-A process on pure CBD crystals and wait with bait on mah breath to see what the results.

Especially since I had a brain freeze in the process and added a ml/gm H2SO4, instead of 1 drop per gram, and it came out water soluble.

What it is that came out water soluble is the question that begs answers, and awaits evaporation of the rest of the ethanol I washed it with last night.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
If you're trying to isomerize to d8 and acetylate at the same time, I suggest isomerizing first - and using less acid in doing so.

To the post above, I really wouldnt advise using Acetyl chloride, it's much worse than acetic anhydride.

Cahn recorded a 3% yield of crystalline CBN acetate from overheated distillate of hash extract by refluxing with acetic anhydride and sodium acetate, with seed crystals. With cold acetyl chloride and pyridine the yield was 26-28%, without seeding. So in fact he had a very good reason for using it.

After reading the Cannabis Alchemy chapter on this, I advise not taking it too seriously. The whole elaborate process there is not exactly necessary. Although all the acetates made since the 50's came from AA with pyridine, if refluxing with 3 volumes of acetic anhydride is unsatisfactory, the most likely reason is the isolation procedure that followed. It would be simpler to casually reflux - perhaps with a drying tube or nitrogen inlet, dump in water, stir, extract, wash, dry, and evaporate the solvent. Fast Blue is convenient to have here, but any indicator that reacts with phenols can be used to instantly determine the end point of the acetylation.