What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethics of shaping guerilla patches

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
The downside to watering past dusk here is the mosquitoes call out the commandos and will kill you if you don't bathe in Deet and wear full protection. Head to toe. And that makes it even hotter. By the time you come back, you're soaked in sweat. Fun times.

Aww man the mosquitoes... Yep, cover completely up and douse myself in bug spray and the bastards just go for my eyes. I was out fishing one time in a mosquito hell hole and one got me right in the corner on my left eye. Eye was swollen shut for the night and was pretty swollen for a few days after. Trying to drive home through the dark on twisting country back roads was fun with one eye closed and no depth perception.

If one thing is a friendly reminder to get in and out quick it's the bugs.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
We get blackflies first and they'll leave golf ball size welts on you, then the mosquitoes hit. They stick around for a few weeks until the dragon flies come out in huge swarms. They're your friends because once they hit, any biting bug gets eaten up. Except last summer, the mosquitoes won that battle because it rained all fucking summer.

'Boogieman'

Has anybody came close to dying from a broken tree branch while going into the woods? This actually tends to be my biggest worry, once after storms cleared up I went to check on my plants and shake the water off and a branch thicker than my body landed next to me while getting out there small branches scrached me up but I got very lucky. Im very careful with what's above me when i go out now.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
That's about as rare as getting almost hit by a falling coconut. I'd call that a good omen.

I did almost lose an eye by a branch when I was a kid. I was trying to light a smoke in the fire pit after lights out and a camp counselor got up. I started running towards my tent and wham! I was turned off smoking for a while after that. lol

JustSumTomatoes

No falling tree parts for me but thorny branches freak me out. Call me a dork but I feel much safer wearing safety or sun glasses. My grandma scratched the cornea of her eye walking through the woods once.

Hoypare.

I don't drink tycho,so no beers for me,i will have a timmy's coffee though :tiphat: We use fish,blood & bone,pelleted chicken manure etc depends what we think is lacking going from surrounding vegetation :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't drink tycho,so no beers for me,i will have a timmy's coffee though :tiphat: We use fish,blood & bone,pelleted chicken manure etc depends what we think is lacking going from surrounding vegetation :tiphat:

Wow. Animals would dig all my shit up with that recipe.

JustSumTomatoes

Anyone else ever grow in a tree by chance? The first grow I did was in a tree hanging 5 gallon buckets in the upper branches with the top cleared out. I hung reservoir buckets with a drip system right above them and visited once a week to refill. Turned out pretty good, and it was a bag seed grow! Bugs and animals were never a problem.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Anyone else ever grow in a tree by chance? The first grow I did was in a tree hanging 5 gallon buckets in the upper branches with the top cleared out. I hung reservoir buckets with a drip system right above them and visited once a week to refill. Turned out pretty good, and it was a bag seed grow! Bugs and animals were never a problem.

I'd rather plant 100 in the ground and reap 25 than do that. That's way too much fucking work for a 60 year old. lol But I've seen the pictures and it would be a fun project to grow a 15 foot tree in a tree though.

The day they cross a weed plant with an orchid, I might start doing it and let the weed feed off the tree.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
All the tree canopy here is 120ft+. No way am I climbing these monsters. Get some wicked winds as well.

Wendull C.

Veteran
NO poison. organic amendments only. I would have no trouble cutting down a medium sized tree, trees grow back fast anyways. And compared to the foresters or even hunters who go in and ride with their big trucks and make the roads muddy and feed the deer (who dont have any natural enemies except humans) grain they shouldn't be eating... its nothing.

As for invasive species. Just stay away from the most aggresive ones. Nettles and comfrey are my fav dynamic acumulators and they also hide plants pretty well.

Um... deer feed everything from coyotes to black bears. Mountain lions live on the fuckers year round. I know because i scout mule deer year round. Take a look at black bear predation of deer fawns and elk calves yearly in montana lets say.

Easy7

Veteran
The thing that concerns my superstitious mind is this.

Mom has noticed people kill tree's before they die.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I pick a tree that will end up in my wood stove, I drive a little copper nail in the base. It dies over the summer, and is totally dead and dries standing over the next year. Then I take it down, split and pile it.

You can be sure it's leaving a nice sunny spot in the forest for me because I usually pick two to four in one spot. The only way it can be spotted is if you fly directly over head :)

troutman

Seed Whore
Yep. Toxic.

There are a lot of ways to kill a tree. Just cut around the base through the bark. That'll do it too.

^^^^ Ringing the bark is the easiest way to do it.

BTW: If I ever catch the varmint that ringed my apple tree he's toast.

I made a small clearing last Fall and planted some winter rye with red clover as cover crops.

If anyone was to find the spot. I would have said I'm making a deer food plot.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
^^^^ Ringing the bark is the easiest way to do it.

BTW: If I ever catch the varmint that ringed my apple tree he's toast.

I made a small clearing last Fall and planted some winter rye with red clover as cover crops.

If anyone was to find the spot. I would have said I'm making a deer food plot.

Doing that to an apple tree is evil. If you get snow, mice will do it over the winter.

Remember to stick a few bird feeders in there. Many bird feed/seeds have hemp in it and it grows. So you have an out. :)

BTW, is that a fisher in your profile pic? One keeps eating my cats. lol

JustSumTomatoes

Used to have an apple tree in my yard that I planted as kid. A big storm came through one time and took it down. I was pretty bummed as I loved having fresh golden delicious.