What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool

St. Phatty

Once when I was starting I used a cubic foot tub full of clean shredded rockwool from cubes that had seen better days.

The plant loved it ! It was indoors under a 430 Son Agra. There was one specific plant that got the shredded rockwool treatment. Grew to about 1/4 pound (in about 18 inches x 18 inches plant space). May have been a special seed.

Spaventa

Veteran
Once when I was starting I used a cubic foot tub full of clean shredded rockwool from cubes that had seen better days.

The plant loved it ! It was indoors under a 430 Son Agra. There was one specific plant that got the shredded rockwool treatment. Grew to about 1/4 pound (in about 18 inches x 18 inches plant space). May have been a special seed.

Im thinking about recycling the 6" cubes Im flowering in now. I'll cut the stems off flush and soak them for a week with Cannazyme. The enzymes should turn the roots into food for the next run. worth a go because the cubes aren't cheap, easy to source or dispose of.
I'll just plug the new clones into a different face of the cubes, one of the sides will be the new top surface. Ive used R/W for years for mothers and babies but not for flowering until recently, due to down scaling. It comes into its own when the size doesn't justify complexity.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Are the 6 inch cubes big enough for larger plants?

Yes the 8" cubes would be for something long term probably. If you're talking about trees or a big scrog maybe maybe not. With a 4 on a 6 from seed I get 4 150 gram plants in a 600 HPS 4x4 tent and there always seems to be root space to spare. You can maybe put 4 4" cubes under the Hugo if you need to - they sell all the cubes with or without holes or you could plug the holes.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Yes the 8" cubes would be for something long term probably. If you're talking about trees or a big scrog maybe maybe not. With a 4 on a 6 from seed I get 4 150 gram plants in a 600 HPS 4x4 tent and there always seems to be root space to spare. You can maybe put 4 4" cubes under the Hugo if you need to - they sell all the cubes with or without holes or you could plug the holes.

Thats real good productivity. With the 4 on 6, How often do you have to feed them? I understand that its feed till it comes out the bottom and that some air in the cube is good, but weeks 5,6,7 in flower, Is twice a day enough? or more? Thanks.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Yes you have it once a day was enough at first for established plants - with my bad air circulation at least - but twice for sure when the plants really get thirsty. For 150 g they have to veg long enough to bush out to fill the 4x4. Or I can go shorter and do 5 120 g or 6 100 g it all seems to be stuck at 1 gpw no matter what unless I sog or scrog.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I put them on half a brick or on rocks in a 9x9 Hydrofarm pot to help keep them upright - roots don't come out. They will come out if the cubes are just laid on the tray. But if the wrappers are removed I'm sure with some mini-cubes or block fail flock I'd just let the roots fill the pot that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Joe, you helped me out allot. Thanks. The was the other thing to figure out - How to keep them stable.