What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

benefits of using rain water ?

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
At the moment i am using tap water with an EC reading of .8 ph in the high 7. im not sure what other crap is in my tap water.

yesterday i purchased a 125L tank and its been out under my down pipe for 1 day and its half full already:). the EC of the rain water is so low my blue lab truncheon does not read it.

my question is will canna A+B be enough to supplement the lack of other elements that the tap water has. if i remember correctly canna is based on soft water it may be ok ?. will i need to add cal/mag or other nutrients ? going to hydro store tomorrow if i need to pick anything else up.

Buddler

Veteran
Rain water is soft, canna has lots of calcium so should be no problem . Some strains are cal hungry so you,ll have to adjust.. Or you could mix tap with rain water bring EC down. Some growers use cal mag first week then back off. Good luck Bud

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
thanks man,

ye i think i may mix the rain water with the tap water, then final flush just using the rain water. should make my bud nicer to smoke.

Lesterburnum

oh yeah. I use predominately condensate water with 0ppm. I don't add cal mag and canna and and b have perfect proportions.
According to canna talk magazine, they recommend using calcium nitrate in place of cal mag. The magnesium messes with the bufffer of calcium and potassium. Use cal mag and you will get potassium deficiencies.

N

newtothiscoco

Use cal mag and you will get potassium deficiencies.

that is some shit to say man. its all strain related . about how much cal and mag the plant need.

dont tell things like that to new growers, just so it seems like you know what you are talking about, but what ever i would just throw that out there :tiphat:

B

bonecarver_OG

i use almost only rainwater to grow my weed. in veg i use a bit more tapwater in the mix, but in flowering i try to use pure rainwater + nutes as much as possible depending on rains and my tanks levels.

plants love rain water :)

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
what im doing now is mixing rain water with my tap water, im mixing it to EC .4 and then bringing it up to 1.4 with canna nutes. im using alot more canna A+B but at least i know the plants are getting what they need rather then what ever crap comes in the hard water. every other watering ill just use rain water

yes the plants seem to really like it. they look alot healthier and are growing very well. with the rain here im in no shortage of free water :)

Lesterburnum

ok newtothis. read canna talk magazine. You are correct in that it is strain specific. However, what one strain will tolerate is not the point being made.. if you screw with the buffering of the coco you will think you are lack of something when really you are over powering the problem. Antagonistic relationships of fertilizers is a great topic.

seriously thought to all coco growers, read canna talk magazine. sooo much good information specific to our beloved medium.

Last edited:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
ok newtothis. read canna talk magazine. You are correct in that it is strain specific. However, what one strain will tolerate is not the point being made.. if you screw with the buffering of the coco you will think you are lack of something when really you are over powering the problem. Antagonistic relationships of fertilizers is a great topic.

seriously thought to all coco growers, read canna talk magazine. sooo much good information specific to our beloved medium.

I suspect you haven't read most of the threads in the coco forum.
Personally I have no interest in reading canna talk. I don't use their products and I don't want to read any articles where they slant the evidence to convince you to buy their lineup. They don't know anything about coco that isn't common knowledge on the net or in this forum. Most people on here use ferts that already have enough cal/mag and know the danger of adding that stuff as a supplement in coco. Never add it unless a problem shows up that calls for its use. Some people on here add epsom for the mag and skip the cal. Now if you don't use a precharged coco during the charging process of block coco you give it lots of cal/mag. It will only grab what it can hold, then you wash the rest away with another rinse.
As far as rainwater I prefer to use melted Glacial ice- aged between 10,000 and 100,00 years :biggrin:

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
thats a fine vintage of rain water stoned40 a good year as they say;)

yes my views on canna are changing fast the more i read up on there additives, seems like some of my problems are coming from the canna nutes to.

when im out of canna A+B ill be trying another line of base nutes. i think ill be going for different veg and bloom nutes.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
thats a fine vintage of rain water stoned40 a good year as they say;)

Want some?:biggrin:

aaaaaaaticeberg_zps8af148d9.jpg

Lesterburnum

yeah i drop the base nutes the last couple of weeks.
And canna talk isn't about their nutes. its about learning how the medium works.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
yeah i drop the base nutes the last couple of weeks.
And canna talk isn't about their nutes. its about learning how the medium works.

Like I said it's common knowledge available in multiple sources on how the medium works. Whatever works for you is good- enjoy:tiphat:

FredyJohnSmith

yup mate rain water is good. You can use it as @Buddler suggest you can mix with tap water if your strain demands some extra nutrients.

Latest posts

Latest posts