What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scientist's finally do it.

joedogsong

Based on the following article the roof should be blown of of the Scheduling of Marijuana

By Robin Wilkey
San Franscisco

A pair of scientists at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco has found that a compound derived from marijuana could stop metastasis in many kinds of aggressive cancer, potentially altering the fatality of the disease forever.
"It took us about 20 years of research to figure this out, but we are very excited," said Pierre Desprez, one of the scientists behind the discovery, to The Huffington Post. "We want to get started with trials as soon as possible."
The San Francisco Chronicle first reported on the finding, which has already undergone both laboratory and animal testing, and is awaiting permission for clinical trials in humans.
Desprez, a molecular biologist, spent decades studying ID-1, the gene that causes cancer to spread. Meanwhile, fellow researcher Sean McAllister was studying the effects of Cannabidiol, or CBD, a non-toxic, non-psychoactive chemical compound found in the cannabis plant. Finally, the pair collaborated, combining CBD and cells containing high levels of ID-1 in a petri dish.
"What we found was that his Cannabidiol could essentially 'turn off' the ID-1," Desprez told HuffPost. The cells stopped spreading and returned to normal.
"We likely would not have found this on our own," he added. "That's why collaboration is so essential to scientific discovery."
Desprez and McAllister first published a paper about the finding in 2007. Since then, their team has found that CBD works both in the lab and in animals. And now, they've found even more good news.
"We started by researching breast cancer," said Desprez. "But now we've found that Cannabidiol works with many kinds of aggressive cancers--brain, prostate--any kind in which these high levels of ID-1 are present."
Desprez hopes that clinical trials will begin immediately.
"We've found no toxicity in the animals we've tested, and Cannabidiol is already used in humans for a variety of other ailments," he said. Indeed, the compound is used to relieve anxiety and nausea, and, since it is non-psychoactive, does not cause the "high" associated with THC.
While marijuana advocates will surely praise the discovery, Desprez explained that it's not so easy as just lighting up.
"We used injections in the animal testing and are also testing pills," he said. "But you could never get enough Cannabidiol for it to be effective just from smoking."
Furthermore, the team has started synthesizing the compound in the lab instead of using the plant in an effort to make it more potent.
"It's a common practice," explained Desprez. "But hopefully it will also keep us clear of any obstacles while seeking approval."

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"has started synthesizing the compound in the lab instead of using the plant in an effort to make it more potent. "

L

lordofthenugz

I'd bet just about anything that the synthesized version will have some ridiculous undesirable side effects. Everytime man tries to duplicate nature in a lab it happens. Legalize growing and you'll have plenty of natural product to derive it from and make it more potent in the sense of ID1 neutralization.

Growcephus

Veteran
"But you could never get enough Cannabidiol for it to be effective just from smoking."

- Pierre Desprez, PhD

images

A

Alfred

Surely if they prove beyond a doubt and it becomes common knowledge that CBD can cure cancer, then no matter what the laws are, and regardless if there is a synthetic version, it would be hard to consider someone growing their own medicine as a criminal.

L

lordofthenugz

It wouldn't need to be synthesized to make it affordably available if it was grown eerywhere. Just think of all the incinerations of plants and the LEO's doing it, then think of all the cancer patients dying while they burn the cure because of ignorant administration and governments pursuit of domination and criminalization of people concerning a plant.

Enough to make a pothead have violent thoughts.

Gov't assclowns

joedogsong

Just think of how much JAIL time people have done because of the schedule one classification as opposed to what it should be scheduled as: Schedule Three.

This world wide persecution has got to stop and the only way that is going to happen is to first get it OFF schedule 1 so more scientist can use it in their research. The way it is now, in the USA, the scientist have such a hard time getting it for their research a lot of them don't want to waste their time getting the permits so as to do their research.
One Step at a time. It has to get re-classified
JDS

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
do you not find it a little odd that out of thousands/millions of species of plants, the only one which cures cancer is the one that everyone likes smoking?
perhaps beer cures cancer or perhaps crack? who knows?

joedogsong

My question is why are they so afraid of it(mj)?
The one plant that may have such curative powers, and they make up lies to keep us repressed.
It is mind boggling.

dizzze

I sometimes wonder if people have evolved with it, i mean cannabiss has been found in gravesites from thousands of years ago, mabey they knew something we are about to discover again.

hayday

Veteran
My question is why are they so afraid of it(mj)?
The one plant that may have such curative powers, and they make up lies to keep us repressed.
It is mind boggling.

Not boggling at all.Cannabis puts power in the common mans hands.
No profit in that...

GrowbagUK

... the tumor-bearing mice were injected i.p. once a day with vehicle (control) or 1 mg/kg CBD for 15 days.

I would need 70mg a day which = 0.7g of 10% CBD extract. Not sure how to factor intravenous versus oral but can't be so much difference that home-produced extract is ineffective when taken orally.

A

Alone

Gods warning label on marijuana
Side effects include:
Euphoria, Joy, Relaxation/Stress Relief, Appetite Stimulation, Appetite Supression, Mood Elevation, Pain Relief, Inspiration, Creativity, Could possibly have the key to the cures for many diseases, Can help reverse global warming, May ignite a stronger economy.
If you experience any of these symptoms, Consult your local grower.

Mans warning label on there medicines
Possible side effects include:
Diarrhea, Nausea, Rectal Bleeding, Runny Eyes, Stomach Ulcers, Kidney Failure, Tremors, Constipation, Restlessness, Depression, and Suicidal Thoughts.
If you experience one or more of these symptoms, Consult your doctor immedietly.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

mr.brunch

Veteran
research shows that with the number of receptors in our bodies , we probably first came into contact with cannabinoids when we were still in the sea

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
being around cannabis so long its a wonder the human race even gets cancer. ive been waiting for the news report on tv ''scientists find cure for cancer'' but its not materialised. oh well..

mr.brunch

Veteran
being around cannabis so long its a wonder the human race even gets cancer. ive been waiting for the news report on tv ''scientists find cure for cancer'' but its not materialised. oh well..
youre not likely to see that, not till its all synthesized , patented and costs thousands.then it will be "....this is a safe form of cannabis, not like the dirty natural stuff...."
cancer treatment is a HUGE ££ industry, and once you have it its not like theres much choice whether to go back for more treatment.
when my mother died of cancer (at a time when i was un aware of the potential of mmj) the nurses told me that the reason there is no cure yet is that there is no money in a cure. once they cure you, you will not come back for regular expensive treatments.

civilised society? my ass. in a thousand years we will look back and say "...how barbaric they were, look how they let people suffer..."