What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We got nanners week 9

Slipnot

with all due respect dead wrong, marijuana by nature has a trait of hermie tendencies when subjected to lack of pollen as a means of self preservation .stress also triggers this trait.most elite clone only cuts are from selfed seed .granted the trait may be more dominant in some geno types but its in there.comparing outside to inside is comparing apples to oranges.MD

Yeah show me one

Slipnot

this is a lot more common than folks realize.
the more diverse your garden the more you start to see it.
The black tuna I've got going throws the odd staminate form in late flower, usually easy to spot. Most guys cash cropping this strain take it at end of week 8 , right before those show up at about week 9. I just pinch them off.
I took the black tuna just past 10 weeks and so far , going thru 4 oz of the stuff , I've found 12 small immature seed.
For those who want to make "feminized" seed, collecting this pollen would be the natural way to go about it.
if the plant is popping staminate forms all over the place in larger numbers than just the odd one here or there, I'd chop it, hang it and kill all it's clones LOL

Actually there is nothing natural about feminized seeds
Since the introduction of feminized seeds we have encountered enormous increases of nanners and hermies

And why is that ? because the fem seeds are bottle necked and every tom Dick an harry is crossing this fem to that strain in hopes for the next miracle GG4 type strain to become famous lol

But like the gros micheal bannana if that is any indication of taking away the ability for diverification or evolution that is taken away Fem seeds are just that they can not fight off new disease

Tynehead Tom

Actually there is nothing natural about feminized seeds
Since the introduction of feminized seeds we have encountered enormous increases of nanners and hermies

And why is that ? because the fem seeds are bottle necked and every tom Dick an harry is crossing this fem to that strain in hopes for the next miracle GG4 type strain to become famous lol

But like the gros micheal bannana if that is any indication of taking away the ability for diverification or evolution that is taken away Fem seeds are just that they can not fight off new disease

I'll politely disagree.
Many landrace varieties from certain parts of the globe exhibit late season staminate forms as a survival technique. Theory has it that this is occurs as a way to increase chances of a seed crop bearing enough females to continue things on shitty years. who knows if the theory holds true. It's not my theory.
anyways, certain genetics pop staminate forms in late flower and really I don't think this has bugger all to do with the past decade of the "femenized" seed craze. We were seeing late flower "nanners" a few decades ago in many north American hybrids. Anyone who says otherwise just hasn't grown enough weed LOL

Northern lights 5.... you bugger up the light cycle, yer getting nanners. How many varieties since the early 90's have been bred using Northern Lights 5 as a donor parent? thousands.
Most guys I know growing true kush and OG varieties also report the same thing and is why many commercial croppers take such plants down for market 2 weeks earlier than they could go.

all just my opinion but I doubt the markets move to feminized seed has much to do with it at all. Hermies in a "commercial" seed line come from the breeding situation and poor plant selection. Late season nanners are genetic.

TnTLabs

late season nanners are normal for most mj plants, its in the genes to survive so if you let them go couple of weeks past peak ripness she will think winter is coming and she will start to throw nanners... its a fact

feminized seeds contrary to popular belief arent hermies or dont have the tendancy to become hermies, UNLESS its in the strains genes
STS can bring up these dormant traits.. but STS application wont make a non hermie strain hermie, this is not correct.
Sadly yes a lot of the elites if stressed or misshandled will hermie, its in the genes...
look at Sour Diesel or Chemdog best examples.. they are unstable.. so inclined to pass on hermie traits to their offspring.. just think how many strains come from these 2 lines...

so its down to breeders and growers to select properly and stress test them, to find stable offspring etc.. its the only way..

i have taken one of my lines to F5 and can now say for sure she wont throw any nanners,
i have crossed her many times, offspring always came out hermie free and so taken her as one of my main breeding tools.

Ratzilla

Veteran
I also opine that feminized seeds are screwing up the gene pool.
I opine that female plants that hermie and make seed just makes more hermarphrodites.:moon:
It is my understanding it is when a male plant throws female flowers and it is this kind of hermaphrodite that makes female seeds!!!
Caveat
I am not a breeder simply but a pollen chucker of the first order.
Ratz :tiphat:

morningdewd

late season nanners are normal for most mj plants, its in the genes to survive so if you let them go couple of weeks past peak ripness she will think winter is coming and she will start to throw nanners... its a fact

feminized seeds contrary to popular belief arent hermies or dont have the tendancy to become hermies, UNLESS its in the strains genes
STS can bring up these dormant traits.. but STS application wont make a non hermie strain hermie, this is not correct.
Sadly yes a lot of the elites if stressed or misshandled will hermie, its in the genes...
look at Sour Diesel or Chemdog best examples.. they are unstable.. so inclined to pass on hermie traits to their offspring.. just think how many strains come from these 2 lines...

so its down to breeders and growers to select properly and stress test them, to find stable offspring etc.. its the only way..

i have taken one of my lines to F5 and can now say for sure she wont throw any nanners,
i have crossed her many times, offspring always came out hermie free and so taken her as one of my main breeding tools.

what he said MD

Slipnot

If that is the case then breeders have Been doing it all wrong all along with stressing plants to induce these traits just let plant go further into flower :) just saying Yes in nature they some times can naturally do this but in reality ask your self is that common ???
Yes Chem is unstable there fore 2 nd 3rd or 10 th generation can show the trait even if genes are dormant in any species it can become dominant in future gens
when breeding fem or high hermie/ nanner strains all the genes get mixed into a bag what comes out the other end is unknown
We are really at the infant stage at what triggers dormant genes to show there expressions lots of hypothesis but no Real Facts

sure we can guess that mating 2 different species and approx what it comes down to but again mother nature works in mysterious ways
Most strains that you say many strains show hermie triats truthfully speaking is False i have stressed many strains to produce hermies.
and guess what talking stupid stress yet not one nanner or hermie
talking stressing more then most would even attempt from -6 degrees to 110 degrees from lights out for a week to lights on from, water stress to flood yet not one nanner , or hermie

That is the problem this day n age people do not progeny test anything anymore they just slap 2 plants together in which some other breeder spent years working slap a new name and ship seeds out the door .
Its become not about the love anymore but all about the money .
Just look at some seed prices .
Insane

But back to nanners / hermies

Point is...the plant does not or has not "switched" at this point (or at any point) into a male/hermie, etc. It is entirely female..and the nanner pollen "husks" as I've grown SO "fond" of referring to them ....

From my observations the nanner pollen sacks never reached the mature enough level to pollinate...no evidence of a single seed thus far in the entire 8 oz yield..which diminished down to maybe two and a half oz's of hacked to death, sparse and stemmy budzs that taste haylike and look the same. .

My advice if u see nanners? scrap the crop, or harvest IMMEDIATELY and hope u have SOME smokable bud thats unaffected by the potential infestation of these nasty crop ruining beasts!

Latest posts

Latest posts