What's new

Hermie plant/seed question

Hey guys, got 1 seed from a friend who said it came off a female plant which was a really great smoke. Said the plant was a female and it only produced this one seed and I should mother it. Question is should I risk planting it?
does it have a high percentage of going to male (if it starts as a female) I will have it planted with another bunch of seeds I got elsewhere

I do like the fact of having a few strains, but not at the risk of messing it all up

that's the problem, it should not of seeded at all, it just magically produced a seed, ive actually soaked it and it has cracked and dropped a root.
so the question is, was the plant it came from a hermie and does it mean this seed will be a hermie seed? or is it all fine to grow along side different seeds etc

Cmobile9

I am germinating or trying to, all of my good smoke seed finds.
I am hoping for the repeat performance, so I say do it. Don't worry about it just look for male parts!

tizyite

Hello I have been getting seeds like this for years! Plants with strong genetics will throw a male flower or two late into flower to try to reproduce. I have had a very high female rate with a fairly low hermie rate with seeds like this. Keep those temps down and stress low and you should be good! A few growers have told me after a round or two the hermies with go away

Thanks for your input Tizy, this seed was planted 1 day after the rest, popped its head up first, its stalk is the thickest, its first true leaves are double of the others so far and i even think its starting on its second lot, its growing like a beast and its only been 9 days, so hope its female, i think i'm gonna like the one i did not want to use the most

GanjaGrin

My experience is if the mother plant that the seed was formed in hermied then the seed will most likely be a hermie or not worth while. But if the plant was just stressed and popped some late nanners that pollinated its self, they should be mostly female seeds and might turn out close to the mother plant. Personally I wouldn't waste time with it because it will take you months just to find out if the plant turns out shitty or not. And that's if it doesn't turn out to be a male first. But if you have the space and time and don't want to spend more money on seeds then go for it. But I haven't had good luck with mystery seeds. Pheno hunting is already time consuming as it is when you know which plants pollinated each other. But good luck!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The seeds genetics will dictate how dom any intersex traits are. Fem seeds do not automatically produce hermie plants because they are fem seeds. It's all in the genetics. If the plant the seed cam from had dom intersex traits that will be passed down into the progeny. If he only found 1 seed I highly doubt you would have any issues with hermie plants.. Keep in mind that many plants toss naners in late flower regardless if reg/fem seed. Plants want to make seeds when they get close to death they put energy into triggering that dorm trait it just depends on how dom it is. If proper selections where made dorm intersex issues should not be an issue. I grow hundreds of fem seeds as well as reg. 99.9% of all intersex plants where from a few naners that show up in late flower. Its rare a full on hermie will show up from any rep breeder. It all starts from where you obtained the starting genetics to make your seeds.