What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help save my 1st grow

McFreedom

Hi,

I realise that I have not done everything right, but here goes.
I thought I'd start off my first grow with the a Fem Delicious Candy seed that I had received for free from Herbies head shop.

Being short on funds (still far away from payday) I chose to take a couple of shortcuts. The soil I have used was dumped locally by cannabis growers on the side of a dirt road up in the hills. I visit that road because sometimes the bags of soil contain some fallen nugs. I figured it'd already be ph'd more or less correctly and treated with the correct nutrients.

This seed was free so why not give it a go, I thought to myself.

Setup:
2' x 1.5' round grow area/box on my desk - walls lined with aluminum foil.
6" x 2' hole in grow area/box for exchange of air
DIY 100W white LED lighting on 24h
68-77F degrees during the day 60F at night
50-65% humidity
No fan.
Watering lightly with RO water

She was off to a good start then this:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 12

mr.brunch

Veteran
Put light on 18/6, get a small fan.... Ph of the soil would be the least of my worries.
Good luck

6ofOne

Agree with the above posts. I soak the soil that the seeding is going to be planted in and don't water it again for 5-7 days. They don't need a lot of water.

With you using another growers soil you should flush that soil really well before planting your seedling in it. The soil could be loaded with nutrients and this could be too hot for the young seedling.

lotus710

Its looking fine so far. Get rid of the foil thats gonna cause hotspots. You need a fan in there. That seedlings missing a leafXD next time try getting some peat moss and lava rock. Youre better off with that then the leftover soil your using:)

McFreedom

Thanks for all your help guys,

I have:
-Added a small fan. Angled away from the seedling so it got just a little breeze
-Stuck white paper over the Aluminium foil
-Not watered. The soil is still a little moist
-Put lights on 18/6

It's bee a couple of days since I've made these changes, here's what she looks like now
attachment.php

As far as the missing leaf, I've noticed there might be a bug on the seedling on the first image. Maybe it ate the leaf?

Attachments

• 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 8

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Time to start over, I'd say. Plant looks like the roots don't like it in there. Either bad soil conditions or something that eats the roots in the mix.
I would't worry about that bit that was missing, plants can get out of seed with small imperfections like that and still grow perfectly fine. I don't think it was eaten by something.

lotus710

Yea id start over also. If you dont have beans there are tons of online sites offering them from 5-300$. There are sites that allow single seed purchases also that would be of great help to you.

Jason Voorhees

What kind of LED are you using. I've noticed since I started using my LEDs that my seedlings just dont like starting out under them. They have been great for me for flowering but I've gotten better veg results switching to floros for veg. Just a hunch but you might want to give that a shot.

McFreedom

Thanks for your replies
Time to start over, I'd say. Plant looks like the roots don't like it in there. Either bad soil conditions or something that eats the roots in the mix.
I would't worry about that bit that was missing, plants can get out of seed with small imperfections like that and still grow perfectly fine. I don't think it was eaten by something.
I pulled her out, put her into some potting mix. If she dies, she dies. She has a long root going straight down.
Yea id start over also. If you dont have beans there are tons of online sites offering them from 5-300$. There are sites that allow single seed purchases also that would be of great help to you.
What kind of beans? Seeds? I have some Fem Ace Panama that I'm looking at growing. I'll use some better soil this time.
What kind of LED are you using. I've noticed since I started using my LEDs that my seedlings just dont like starting out under them. They have been great for me for flowering but I've gotten better veg results switching to floros for veg. Just a hunch but you might want to give that a shot.
I'll keep that in mind, I'm using 12 100W LED chips running at very low current so the collective power of all 12 is around 100W and the light is soft and spread out. the light is just under 2' away from the seedling.

corky1968

Veteran
Old soil of unknown quality is a big no no.

It's probably full of pests as something is eating those leaves.

Don't waste your time using more seeds in old soil.

Get new soil or expect more problems.

While you went looking for free nugs in the used soil.
The plant pests beat you to them and are hungry for
anything you feed them.

i.e. Like you nice seedling you just fed them.

lotus710

your panama is gonna be a pain inside. under those leds your looking at atleast a 15 week flowering cycle with little bud. go with an indica dom or a hybrid. sativas are a bitch especially for newer growers

S

sourpuss

Yeah i second the soil... clean soil and ro the seed shoulda been fine for a while.. super low feed is great for seed starting and ramp up as needed...

McFreedom

your panama is gonna be a pain inside. under those leds your looking at atleast a 15 week flowering cycle with little bud. go with an indica dom or a hybrid. sativas are a bitch especially for newer growers

Can you recommend an easy energetic strain?
I do have a Marshydro Reflector 96 coming in the mail and a 1m x 1m x 2m grow tent. Given the light and tent, should I still give up on the panama?

lotus710

just think where sativas grow. super hot all year round. you can grow it forsure but you wont get very much at all. look at it like a few calyxs on sticksXD you want a lot of light for sativas to grow properly. there are lots of hybrids out there suitable for indoor. i have tangie, mekong high, tikal (also by ace seeds), shining silver haze

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
just think where sativas grow. super hot all year round. you can grow it forsure but you wont get very much at all. look at it like a few calyxs on sticksXD you want a lot of light for sativas to grow properly. there are lots of hybrids out there suitable for indoor. i have tangie, mekong high, tikal (also by ace seeds), shining silver haze

How ya like that Tangie? Crockett's Farm or DNA?

McFreedom

As far as temperature is concerned, I live in the land down under so it's only going to get warmer. It's winter now.
I also have 10 regular USC nepalma seeds. should I start with those?

corky1968

Veteran
As far as temperature is concerned, I live in the land down under so it's only going to get warmer. It's winter now.
I also have 10 regular USC nepalma seeds. should I start with those?

They take 10 at 12 weeks to flower and stretch 2 to 3 times in case you didn't know.

I say go for it since you have the seeds as it looks like a nice strain.

BTW: I hope you got rid of that old soil and are starting with new soil.

McFreedom

They take 10 at 12 weeks to flower and stretch 2 to 3 times in case you didn't know.

I say go for it since you have the seeds as it looks like a nice strain.

BTW: I hope you got rid of that old soil and are starting with new soil.

Yes, I've got some lava rock, peat moss and some tomato potting mix. I'll give the Nepalma a go then.

Latest posts

Latest posts