What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed vs Opioids: Which Is Better For Pain ?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
constant edibles of the right strain to keep metabolites in your system is an amazing plan.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you look into dr carl hart.. he explains that feeling like you have no point in life.. or being depressed helps get u addicted.. the majority of heroin users are not addicted.. a majority of all drug users are not addicts..
also i believe that addiction is a habit.. and thats all . the only difference is the chemical.. we dont put a stigma around any other addictions people have.. only sex and drugs.. only things that cause pleasure.. and the only place that didnt want us to have any pleasure.. was CHURCH.. our laws are based on religion and bullshit.

habits are hard to break. doesnt matter what kind. i know dudes who cannot stop biting their nails no matter whaat.. its bene 15 years .. no1 puts them in rehab.. becaues it doesnt cost them money.. if the black market went under.. and the gov sold cheaper pure drugs.. drug addicts would be working hard like everyone else.. but when it costs more in drugs a day than u can make at work in a day.. no reason to work lol.

You & I think alike on this subject.
Thanks for your perspective.

The only difference between a drug & a poison is the dose.

shithawk420

Veteran
That's silly.all addiction is chemical related.I'm a terrible alcoholic. I bust my ass in roofing just for a beer.if I stop I cold turkey i could die.it was 2 days ago of the one year anniversary my buddy od'd. its not that simple to just quit

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Both work well together. Opiate kinda plateau out in the brain. Reach a point then stops. Cannabis has a way to bridge the gap where opiates plateau allowing both to work together to suppress pain with better success.
I know a lot of members here stress getting off the opiates all together and I understand and respect their opinion, but for those of us with severe enough pain levels to need them there is a place for them. Would I drop the opiates if I could? Yes in a heart beat, but the pain overrules that. It's up to the person who's trying to determine what quality of life they want to have and how they want to treat their pain issues to decide which route they want to go. Either or, or both. I'm lucky I just found a new doctor that totally understand the connection and allows use of both.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
if you look into dr carl hart.. he explains that feeling like you have no point in life.. or being depressed helps get u addicted.. the majority of heroin users are not addicted.. a majority of all drug users are not addicts..
also i believe that addiction is a habit.. and thats all . the only difference is the chemical.. we dont put a stigma around any other addictions people have.. only sex and drugs.. only things that cause pleasure.. and the only place that didnt want us to have any pleasure.. was CHURCH.. our laws are based on religion and bullshit.

habits are hard to break. doesnt matter what kind. i know dudes who cannot stop biting their nails no matter whaat.. its bene 15 years .. no1 puts them in rehab.. becaues it doesnt cost them money.. if the black market went under.. and the gov sold cheaper pure drugs.. drug addicts would be working hard like everyone else.. but when it costs more in drugs a day than u can make at work in a day.. no reason to work lol.

I have done a lot of research on Narcissism after one of my Vet buddies pulled me aside - our family lives were neary identical.
I looked at ACON and then did my own research.

I found it to be like this:
One of our grandparents was unable to show unconditional love to one of our parents. As a result, our parent learns:
1) love is conditional -- that we must prove worthy to receive love
2) that we all must compete for love
3) to identify with his/her pain
All three collude to convert this person into a narcissist. This narcissist becomes our parent and we suffer someone who shows only conditional love. We end up feeling worthless and so compete for our parent's affection/love. The cycle will keep continuing until we decide to stop identifying with our pain and allow ourselves to let go and heal.

We all have to learn to forgive and to love.
Until then, our pain will always be unique and agonizing enough to push us into selfdestruction.

"I focus on the pain
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything"

Whole song:
I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Last edited:

CoCoSativas

Wed for day to day woes but my nerve pain in my back I'll take the oxycodone I take anyday.

I better take that now lol. The weed helps me nor be in as much pain for sure when a dose lapses now I sometimes forget because I find the ogs work well for making me feel bree but really the ultimate is both together.

Opiate are way to demonized. Personally I love having my life mostly back

Siever

Veteran
Both work well together. Opiate kinda plateau out in the brain. Reach a point then stops. Cannabis has a way to bridge the gap where opiates plateau allowing both to work together to suppress pain with better success.
I know a lot of members here stress getting off the opiates all together and I understand and respect their opinion, but for those of us with severe enough pain levels to need them there is a place for them. Would I drop the opiates if I could? Yes in a heart beat, but the pain overrules that. It's up to the person who's trying to determine what quality of life they want to have and how they want to treat their pain issues to decide which route they want to go. Either or, or both. I'm lucky I just found a new doctor that totally understand the connection and allows use of both.

You couldn't have said it better!
My experience learned me that using opioids togehter with cannabis creates synergy. With that I mean that if you use cannabis on opioids you need a lot less opioids to have the same effect.

kind regards

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
My elderly mother has been on oxycodene for about a year, for extreme pain. She can not walk, and can barely stand to get to powered wheelchair. She was going to stop cold turkey and use tylenol.

I talked her into tapering. Can anyone suggest a schedule?? She was on 2 a day. Today she did 2 X 1/2's.

Siever

Veteran
Loc Dog,

It depends on how long she has been doing it too. What I SUGGEST is start with 3/4 or 2/3 dose 'till she's fine with this. Then You lower the dose again 'till she's completely clean.

Siever

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Personal opinion

Personal opinion

She was going to stop cold turkey and use tylenol.

I have found Ibuprofen is more affective than Tylenol.

I only use Tylenol when my Doctor indicates No Ibuprofen (like now when I'm taking Xyrolta to clear a blood clot)

I actually have found a 60mg Indica Cookie and 200mg Ibuprofen about as affective as a Percocet.

Best of luck to you and your mom :)

mayorofthdesert

My elderly mother has been on oxycodene for about a year, for extreme pain. She can not walk, and can barely stand to get to powered wheelchair. She was going to stop cold turkey and use tylenol.

I talked her into tapering. Can anyone suggest a schedule?? She was on 2 a day. Today she did 2 X 1/2's.

A year of oxycodone isn't going to be easy, I think it'd be wise to talk to the doctor - he could switch her to a short-acting opiate first & once she's painlessly aclimated to that the taper & any withdrawls will be much shorter in duration.
If you're going ahead with it I wouldn't cut the dosage that much the next time, but if she isn't too uncomfortable then stay the the half dose & when she feels ok (no withdrawl symptoms, can sleep well, etc), drop the dosage by a third or a quarter & see if that's an easier jump. The worst is usually going from the smallest amount to nothing, best to work down to as small a dose as possible before none.

Last edited:
Great share buddy.
I gotta look into Iboga

Yea RSO is the bees knees.
For serious conditions, like chronic pain, you need really high doses, and not just smoking it - you have to eat it as well

Some days I do tap out and take a dilaudid, but then I dont get the relief that I hope for / expect. This causes me to want to take more but I know better so I pass out and smoke/eat as much as I can.
Opiates create addiction that you won't even be conscious of.
Also, opiates numb your body from releasing endorphines, steroids, and other goodies whenever you do get hurt. So, someone who takes opiate will feel more pain and for longer if he breaks his leg. They also keep your body from healing.
Cannabis and psychidelics for the win.

Annecdote,
The first couple times on mushrooms i got great pain relief for days. Then, bam, the next bunch (many) of trips were "bad" trips. Really, the fungi were making me confront my pain and learn to cope with it.
So I cant say enough for the efficacy of psychedelics for medicine.

I fully agree with you but here is some information that has been left out when taking high quality real deal RSO.

I was treating a cancer patient that was using percocet. The patient was taking 3 doses of the RSO per day and was unable to take their pan pills. The reason why the patient could not continue taking the pain pill was that they couldn't feel them anymore, and it did make the RSO buzz effects more intense. They had to break the pills in half. This patient was addicted to the pain meds from having taken them for over 20 years due to back problems. It has been a long road but this patient has been opiate free for a year now. Still not 100%, but about 90% comfortable. Still increasing in comfort without the pills. I guess it takes more than a year to feel good coming off of a long term opiate addiction.

Brot

Talk to her Dr. about switching her to Bupranorphine. Its a Opiate blocker/ pain relief. Its many times more powerful than morphine. I have been on 1/12 1 mg, every 12 hrs since coming off of morphine,(5years ago). They come in a 8 mg tablet. I weigh out each dose, on a gunpowder scale. I have no opiate crave, plus I get controllable pain relief! I was taking 120 mg morphine sulphate for 4 years, the 10 years before, everything from vicoden to oxy. Coming off was a personal choice, I could no longer take the impact on my life, from the opiate. I elected a fusion surgey to help wit the pain, but lost my dexterity in my lower back. Now the bottom 5 have two rods and are bolted together. No fun.... No more motorcycle riding.... 45+ years of bikes, got me here....
At 56, I feel like a rusting machine, that each morning, I have to break the rust free to start moving. A pot of XXX coffee, 1/2 dozen rips of oil, couple of bowls, ALL MY DAMN PILLS, and Im ready to head out!! SEE WHAT YOU YOUNG GUYS /GALS GET TO LOOK FORWARD TOO! ASUMING YOU MAKE IT THIS FAR!.....bwahahahahhahah.... Its all good...

From those that I know that have taken both at one point or another, the Opioids seem to work great at first but unfortunately over time.. usually a short amount of time, they become less and less effective, and potentially more and more harmful.

However, with Weed the effects seem to stay relatively the same and help to create a sense of calm as well which makes them a win-win in both cases. The other thing to factor in is that Opioids hold some level of addiction to them, where-as Weed has been proven time and time again that there is no level of addiction other than "in your head" addiction.

This is great news especially for those that might just need temporary relief from in scenarios where they just got out of surgery and want to reduce pain, but not run the risk of getting potentially addicted to opioids like hospitals want you to rather than just making your own cannabis strain.

I feel it's still good to take some level of opioids but to limit the amount due to the strong chance of addiction, especially on the higher dose ones.

Brother Nature

Hey, I think this is a great thread and this is something I've had a problem with recently.
Last year I had a somewhat bad motorcycle accident. By somewhat I mean I shattered my left tibia in 3 places. This required an implant of a metal rod inside my bone. As you can imagine this was a somewhat significant surgery and caused a serious amount of pain.

At that point in time i had access to pretty much as much weed as I wanted. Given my condition I turned a lot of that weed into vacuum purged BHO, well a friend did, as I really couldn't.

Unfortunately, I am also an ex-junkie and was also given a significant amount of Morphine sulphate (1.6g, in 20ml pills [@20mg each it was around 80 pills]) as well as a 3 months worth of tramadol. Thankfully the country I live in is very strict on their pain relief and unless you're dying you won't get anything more serious than straight morphine. For the first month and a half, the Morphine did more for physical pain relief than any other drug ever could. However, the oil helped my mental state in a way I could have never had on the pain killers alone. It helped me deal with and accept what happened to me.

The oil also helped with the side effects of the morphine, which I felt were almost as bad as the pain in my leg. If any of you have not been able to shit for two weeks you'll know what I mean. Plus not being able to eat was really hard on me. After a little I decided to quit the morphine, cold turkey, but at that point I was rather dependent on it so it sucked, I hope most of you never know this feeling.

In the end, I would definitely say it has a legitimate place in serious pain killing, but once the actual physical pain starts to dissipate, it's not something that should be continued and cannabis can assist majorly in this.

To this day I still experience pain in my leg, I have a titanium rod still nailed in there, yet if it ever gets too much a good toke takes care of it. I personally think cannabis should be an additive to these opiate therapies rather than an alternative. If anything it assists majorly in reducing the opiate withdrawal. However, the best thing I think it does is alleviate the sad ass mind space you get into when your holed up in a building with nothing to do, waiting to recover.

Hey, I think this is a great thread and this is something I've had a problem with recently.
Last year I had a somewhat bad motorcycle accident. By somewhat I mean I shattered my left tibia in 3 places. This required an implant of a metal rod inside my bone. As you can imagine this was a somewhat significant surgery and caused a serious amount of pain.

At that point in time i had access to pretty much as much weed as I wanted. Given my condition I turned a lot of that weed into vacuum purged BHO, well a friend did, as I really couldn't.

Unfortunately, I am also an ex-junkie and was also given a significant amount of Morphine sulphate (1.6g, in 20ml pills [@20mg each it was around 80 pills]) as well as a 3 months worth of tramadol. Thankfully the country I live in is very strict on their pain relief and unless you're dying you won't get anything more serious than straight morphine. For the first month and a half, the Morphine did more for physical pain relief than any other drug ever could. However, the oil helped my mental state in a way I could have never had on the pain killers alone. It helped me deal with and accept what happened to me.

The oil also helped with the side effects of the morphine, which I felt were almost as bad as the pain in my leg. If any of you have not been able to shit for two weeks you'll know what I mean. Plus not being able to eat was really hard on me. After a little I decided to quit the morphine, cold turkey, but at that point I was rather dependent on it so it sucked, I hope most of you never know this feeling.

In the end, I would definitely say it has a legitimate place in serious pain killing, but once the actual physical pain starts to dissipate, it's not something that should be continued and cannabis can assist majorly in this.

To this day I still experience pain in my leg, I have a titanium rod still nailed in there, yet if it ever gets too much a good toke takes care of it. I personally think cannabis should be an additive to these opiate therapies rather than an alternative. If anything it assists majorly in reducing the opiate withdrawal. However, the best thing I think it does is alleviate the sad ass mind space you get into when your holed up in a building with nothing to do, waiting to recover.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, but thank you for sharing this from a different point of view. I can see how it may be best to have both things like Morphine mixed with Cannabis for both a calm of mind and pain relief.

tree dawg

I went threw chem and rad it is the damage it does to your body that will show up years later that is hard to deal with will desytor your life I will not take it again

Latest posts

Latest posts