What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeking info regarding Cannabis and Autism

Hey everybody,

I am trying to help my cousin and her son, who is 13 years old and autistic. I do not know really anything about autism....what i do know is they just moved to Colorado, and they are hoping to get him off pharmaceuticals and start treating his condition with cannabis. I am trying to find as much info as i can to pass on to them. So please any links, articles, videos, whatever please post up here!
Thank you!!

justpassnthru

Veteran
Here you go: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=250916

There is a new list for 2013, if there isn't information to send you for the new list, send me a PM.

That would be the most comprehensive list of medical issues with cannabis. Probably more than you need. Please help that child. I'd suggest some sort of tincture with CBD's. But, thc is important too...read the quote from Storm Crow below.

Good luck to you and hope you can make a major improvement in this families life and future!

Oh and here is some additional information and a recent post of Storm Crow's:
Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:26 PM
Wake up Americana smell the pot.

Study: THC Increases Brain Activity In Response To Positive Stimuli
by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director August 27, 2013

The administration of THC modulates emotional processing in healthy volunteers, according to placebo-controlled crossover trial data published online by the journal European Neuropsychopharmacology.
Investigators from the United Kingdom and the Netherlands performed functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) on 11 healthy male subjects. Following the administration of THC or placebo, researchers assessed subjects’ brain activity during their exposure to stimuli with a negative (‘fearful faces’) content or a positive content (‘happy faces’). They hypothesized that THC administration would reduce subjects’ negative bias in emotional processing and shift it towards a positive bias. A bias toward negative stimuli has been linked to diagnoses of certain mental illnesses such as depression.
As anticipated, authors reported a reduction brain activity after THC administration when subjects’ processed stimuli with a negative emotional content. Conversely, researchers reported increased brain activity following THC administration when subjects’ processed stimuli with a positive emotional content.
They concluded: “These results indicate that THC administration reduces the negative bias in emotional processing. This adds human evidence to support the hypothesis that the endocannabinoid system is involved in modulation of emotional processing. Our findings also suggest a possible role for the endocannabinoid system in abnormal emotional processing, and may thus be relevant for psychiatric disorders such as major depression.”
An abstract of the study, “The endocannabinoid system and emotional processing: A pharmacological fMRI study with ?9-tetrahydrocannabinol,” appears online here.
- See more at: http://blog.norml.or...h.PMUCtmV5.dpuf

Peace
IMO, don't rule out the benefits of thc, too! :biggrin: jpt

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Hey everybody,

I am trying to help my cousin and her son, who is 13 years old and autistic. I do not know really anything about autism....what i do know is they just moved to Colorado, and they are hoping to get him off pharmaceuticals and start treating his condition with cannabis. I am trying to find as much info as i can to pass on to them. So please any links, articles, videos, whatever please post up here!
Thank you!!

G`day ST

Hmmm ... I didn`t know there were any Pharmaceuticals to treat Autism .
Maybe to make his behaviours more tolerable to those around him .

Very hard to say what strain might be helpful . As the effects are so varied . Another factor to consider is tolerance build up .
Best wishes .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

TheCleanGame

Veteran
I use cannabis for my autism.

I find that some Indica strains cause my mood issues, memory issues and confusion to be worse... even the next day.

I've stuck to mainly Sativa-dominant hybrids and have recently picked up "Harlequin" which is 8% CBD and only 6% THC... there's no 'high' or 'stone' associated with it, just a 'mellow' that gets deeper the greater the amount you use.

I have only been able to use it briefly but experienced significant positive improvement in anxiety, mood control, focus, memory, nausea and pain. My brain actually started to work in ways that felt 'fluid' in nature... very different from the last 40+ years of my life and vastly different from the last 25 years I've used cannabis.

Wow. I'm growing more as we speak and can't wait. lol

There are other strains available in Colorado that have extremely high CBD and little to no THC... though these strains are being touted as wonderful for kids, I'm of the mind that the lack of THC and the extreme imbalance in the cannabinoid profile will cause issues down the road. Much the same that high THC and extremely low CBD strains contribute to episodes of manic psychosis.

Welcome to Colorado! :)

Keep it Clean! :D

justpassnthru

Veteran
G`day ST

Very hard to say what strain might be helpful . As the effects are so varied . Another factor to consider is tolerance build up .
Best wishes .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

The negative behavior is treated with drugs that dope them. Some parents even dope them with OTC for the hyperactivity etc. I do believe ADHD and ADD (possibly bi-polar, as well) are related. Often, they have other issues..epilepsy is often one!

My personal belief is a cannabinoid deficiency and need for a more homeostatic environment, in the brain. Unfortunately, not enough is known about autism yet. And I suspect it may fall in the auto-immune disease category, one day.:ying: jpt

S

Sat X RB

G`day ST

Best wishes .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I recall username 'Radic' at www.ozstoners.com.au was in discussion with the parent of a profoundly autistic child who benefitted from cannabis tinctures. the child's behaviour improved quite markedly.

and the question could be put to Tony at:

www.mullawaysmedicalcannabis.com.au

altho this address is a dot com Tony is a no bullshit guy who is amenable to discussing patient issues.

cheers All ...

Last edited:

TheCleanGame

Veteran
One of the biggest issues with autism is the levels of anxiety that we experience.

Anxiety becomes even more of an issue when the autistic person is non-verbal. Not only do they have anxiety... they're unable to communicate anything about it or to gain information to help decrease it.

The decrease in anxiety from cannabis is phenomenal when you get the right strain. The change in how my brain was able to function when using high CBD Harlequin was a shock.

I have extremely positive hopes for cannabis and autism in the future as CBD becomes more known and accepted and available.

Keep it Clean! :D

Macfawlty

Extensive info on autism

Extensive info on autism

Hey everybody,

Thank you!!

Do any of you all have experience with any of these websites selling cbd oil?

I see several online. I have a good friend that has a child with autism and wants to try it out.. shes not in a med state btw

I have done considerable research on autism and other autoimmune disorders. Lately my interest has been in using CBD oils. First, I'd say CBD oil is worth a try as it's unlikely to have any negative side effects. I would suggest that your friend spend a lot of time researching complementary and alternative treatments for autism and not focus on the use of CBD alone, like any one treatment is going to cure autism. Dietary changes are at the top of everyone's list. Our doctors run extensive labwork on food sensitivities + Candida (Great Plains Lab), nutritional panels (NutrEval from Genova Diagnostics), hair and urine toxic metals and essential elements. You need a good practitioner to guide you.

Go to YouTube and search for AutismOne 2016. This group has their conference every year at the end of May. For the last 2 years they have put every one of their nearly 100 hours of seminars on YouTube. On their website, you can find downloads of the PPT slides as a PDF. Answers to the multifactorial causes and treatments for autism are presented by some of the most cutting edge scientists, doctors and practitioners in the field.

There are a number of practitioners that have been using CBD for autism and the conference even has a separate cannabis track with a number of presentations on its use. The most comprehensive and informative sessions are with Christopher Shade, PhD of Quicksilver Scientific. QS has very specialized products for detoxification of heavy metals (which can be a complicated process). They recently developed what looks to be the best medical grade CBD product on the market. Unfortunately, it's not yet available for retail, but they can refer you to a practitioner. It's new, so they are still gathering data on efficacy for various conditions. One takeaway I will share is he says that CBD mitigates many negative effects of detoxification and other treatments by upregulating/downregulating various factors in gene expression. So, essentially, it works well on its own and it works well with others. CBD is also considerably more effective than THC in up/downregulating specific genes by a factor of 10:1.

There is GREAT promise in CBD for all autoimmune, neurodegenerative and cancer. It's still in its infancy.

There are many sources for CBD oil. Search for a website Realm of Caring which was set up by the Stanley Brothers, who developed Charlottes Web. The website can help your friend with using CBD and finding practitioners. They have a few brands that I would trust as they are seed to sale and grown by them in Colorado. Medical CBD is their business.

Autism is a difficult disorder. You have to spend a lot of time on research and need a good CAM practitioner. Even then, you have to be smarter and better informed than your practitioners. CBD is so new, most have little knowledge or experience with it. I am pushing my doctors every week to start testing it with their patients and register with Realm of Caring to report their findings.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i am also looking into cannabis for an autism spectrum son. nearly all of those that have replied (Aspbergers) say that cannabis (smoking the lovely buds) helped bring them out of their shells, so to speak. it helped with many issues; made them more amenable to social interaction with new folks, increased level of eye contact, less fearful of strangers, and also gave them something in common with millions of people. common interests make it easier to make friends... my son has tried edibles, but showed no reaction. going to take him & younger son on a camping trip soon & see what sitting around a fire & hitting bowls does for him. younger son already gets high, so having him there should up the confidence level considerably...:)