What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC Malana, Kumaoni, Lebanese | Outdoor

CCCsilk

ALOHA everyone!

I've been quite busy the past 8+ years, but decided this year to commit more time and energy to cultivating my favorite botanical romance. Though I've been on the outskirts of the IC community for a decade+, I've been following/reading folks and threads and maintaining inspiration to continue on this cannabis path of exploration and discovery.

I'm most excited to share this season's outdoor landrace grow from RSC stock: Malana, Kumaoni and Lebanese. This is my first time working with RSC's gear and my first for landraces as well, which is why I've finally decided to step up and document the grow and share it. I might be too enthusiastic about this lol :greenstars: It's been a long term dream of mine to explore, so I hope this can be of some value to anyone curious about RSC and/or "old world" genetics.

I would like to have grown out all 12 seeds of each but space and time doesn't allow, so I'm making the best of what I can. I don't expect much given my small planting, but I'm hopeful I'll receive some insight and encouragement for the next steps in this journey. I also have plenty of others from RSC that I'm itching to play with but I gotta be patient: Chitrali, Parvati, Manupuri.

ENVIRONMENT

I live in Hawaii at 19.5' N, around 1300' (400m), in a relatively cool and generally wet region. Annual rainfall can be as "little" as 100" (2.5m) all the way up to 400" (10m), with day temps getting up to about 85F (29C) and evenings down to 50F (10C). These are the extremes, of course.

Commercially, I grow coffee. And the cannabis gets interplanted at my whimsical discretion hahaha. My farm doesn't have soil but is instead planted above 500 year old pahoehoe lava flow, which was then covered with about 18" (46cm) volcanic cinder by the previous owner. So the coffee and cannabis effectively grow in volcanic rock with a thin layer of organic material on top from years of grass/leaves decomposing (a local grass covers the ground of the entire field, so it's not just exposed rock). This is wonderful for drainage given the high rainfall in this region.

THE BEGINNING

On May 7, I planted the following into 4" square pots with a tried-and-true custom blend that works really well for my circumstances (3 parts coco coir, 2 parts perlite, 1 part worm castings):

2 - Malana
2 - Kumaoni
3 - Lebanese

The pots were placed in a greenhouse and left to figure it out for themselves. It's been quite a rainy, cool year so I think this made overall germination and growth slow in the beginning relative of what I'm used to. I also planted some Neville's Haze, Bubba Kush and Shark Shock CBD at the same time and they were all lagging behind the RSC stock.

Within 3 days of planting, everything but 1 Malana sprouted and was above ground. The landraces, except Lebanese, all stayed out in the natural light cycle while the modern hybrids were put indoors at night to extend photoperiod. Within 12 days, Malana was the most vigorous, with Kumaoni trailing behind just slightly. 2 of the Lebanese didn't get past cotyledon, so I planted 3 more seeds. Sorry I don't have any pics of this stuff. I generally consider this phase of the grow somewhat boring and don't wish to drag the audience through the process lol

By day 16, it was clear the Malana and Kumaoni needed bigger pots. I notice they like to have plenty of root space, even if they're not visually bound by the container size. Planted them into 3 gal pots of the same 3-2-1 blend mentioned above and kept them outside. I fed them lightly with some H & G cocos A/B for the next few weeks until they reached about 24". One of the Kumaoni was incidentally topped by one of my chickens who thought it looked like a good snack apparently. That set it back compared to the other two. I suspect topping isn't too favorable for these plants but, as mentioned, it could very well have been a combination of the high humidity/rainfall and cooler temps slowing things down. The roots have been a bit soggy from the beginning. But I was curious to battle test these since the environment here can swing dramatically.

The Lebanese, in the meantime, went outside during the day only if it was not raining and went inside at night to extend the photoperiod. They were clearly more sensitive to the moisture compared to Malana and Kumaoni. Of the 3 additional seeds I planted later, 2 made it to term.

So, to summarize: 1 Malana, 2 Kumaoni (1 topped after the 3rd node) and 3 Lebanese made it past the 4" container phase.

On June 18 (day 40), the 3 charas champs were transplanted in the ground. I dug shallow holes for them so that half of the root mass was in the volcanic cinder for good drainage, then piled up a rich mix of soil (from a different part of the island), composted chicken manure, steer manure and composted coffee wood chips around them in a nice fluffy mound. I top dressed them with a mix of fish bone meal, calcium carbonate (local crushed coral), sulfate of potash and some Fox Farm mycorrhizae, then topped it all off with a bit more chicken shit. They thrived in their new home. After 2 days, they started growing 1"+ per day and have been taking off ever since. They still need a bit more N though, as you can see in the pics.

Here's Malana after being in the ground for a week (apologies for the poor quality):

Biggest damn fan leaves I've ever seen! This lady (or so I think) is roughly 3' tall at the time of the photo, which was taken June 25. Here are the 2 Kumaoni, planted somewhat close together because I have a suspicion at least one is male. If it is, and I'm kinda hoping so, I'll make some seeds (again, sorry for the poor pic quality):

I've been traveling in SE Asia since the 29th, so I'll include more pics and an update when I return, including what's been happening with the Lebanese. I took these photos in a bit of a rush with my phone before leaving so I could look at them :biggrin: My plants are my children!

If you have any photos to share, tips, insights or background details about these strains, I'd love your input.

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy growing & be well

Silk

CCCsilk

Aloha, Organik! Yeah we're on the same wavelength -- gotta make more seeds, open pollinated.

And the crosses? Hahaha yeah for sure on the same wavelength! That's the intent: cross a fast flowering, stubby Lebanese stud with a lovely Malama and/or Kumaoni lady. The largest Lebanese I have right now is male and completely columnar. The other two are 2 weeks behind so they're certainly smaller, but the uniformity is pretty impressive.

Either way, it's farming, it's always a bit of a gamble. I really don't have much in the way of expectations. This is an experimental itch I just have to scratch lol That's why I keep rolling with the generally more stable modern hybrids while I search to hopefully find and/or help develop better medicines and experiences with more exotic genetics... Or really, just a larger slice of the gene pie. Most folks experience such a narrow spectrum of cannabis. I would like to change that.

I'll be back later this week with an update!

Happy growing & be well

silk

CCCsilk

Aloha!

Update as of today:

The one Malana and both Kumaoni more than doubled in size in the past two weeks. The topped K is the tallest of the three at over 6’ (nearly 1m), has huge fan leaves, columnar structure, and long internode length. Annnd.. she just started to show some pistils! Looks like a good multipurpose pheno, particularly for fiber as her stalks are very straight and thick. The other K is very similar in structure to Malana but with slightly tighter nodes. Still hasn’t sexed yet. When rubbed 3-4 nodes below the newest growth, both Kumaoni smell like a really floral bubblegum + sweet peas + orangey hash/spice. First two pics are of the bushier one. The rest are the tall lady:

CCCsilk

Update continued...

Malana is showing pistils too! She smells like mango and sweet carrot with a bit of spice/hash as well. I've got a soft spot for her. Great vigor, lovely aroma and wonderful stature. Here are a couple shots of her:

Really looking forward to these girls! They’re gonna get big... I feel very fortunate to have 2 strong females out of 3 seeds. Their excellent aromas definitely get me excited to sample the final results. I'm grateful for the results so far.

Last, and certainly least for now, are the sad Lebanese. Not their fault. They didn't get watered enough while I was away, so they're all stressed out and locked out. The one on the far left just started showing pistils. The other two are confirmed males. The plan for now is to get them healthy then make seeds, harvest pollen and cross with both Kumaoni and Malana. I'll leave a branch or two unseeded of the female to Lebanese to test out the high, but most of her will be used to preserve the lineage. None of them have any smell whatsoever. Just a very faint vegetal aroma when rubbed.

The pic keeps uploading sideways no matter how many times I've adjusted it. If anyone has tips for this newbie on how to fix that, holler.

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy growing & be well

silk

herbgreen

Veteran
Aloha!

Thanks for sharing

Botanical Romance!

I Like it, and I like these beautiful cultivars you chose to cultivate

Love that deep dark volcanic soil I remember putting volcanic rocks into the bottom of nursey containers that i found once and the plants loved that probably the drainage factor but who knows

Seems like you got some happy plants!

MadMac

far beyond driven...
wonderful grow!
finally someone put his love into the RSC gem's :)
show us what's possible with this!
you'r living in a good place for this sativa's
I'm sure they will love the soil you have there.
many thx for sharing your work.
maybe you can put up some images from surrounding landscape?
would love to see how the vegetation e.g.. is there.
many thx & keep it up!
M.:tiphat:

ngakpa

Veteran
hi

great to see this

the Himalayan strains should be very happy in your climate

not sure if the Lebanese will enjoy the humidity though

in your situation, I would also be exploring tropical ganja landraces such as the Manipuri, Highland Thai, and Kerala --- you're lucky to be able to grow them outdoors in land where they can show their true potential

CCCsilk

Aloha!

ngakpa - Thanks for chiming in. Yeah I just ordered the Kerala and Highland Thai :) Definitely lucky to grow these out. The Lebanese has issues with the humidity but I thought I'd give it a shot. Just making seeds this round. How does the Chitrali hold up to humidity? Are there some mold/fungus resistant phenos in that lineage? I love sativas but I always need something around to put me to sleep, and I find it really challenging to grow plants that provide that experience in this climate.

Funny how my complaints have reversed... 10 years ago I whined about only being able to grow squat, generally couchlock/stoned highs indoors hahaha

thejact55

Aloha!

ngakpa - Thanks for chiming in. Yeah I just ordered the Kerala and Highland Thai :) Definitely lucky to grow these out. The Lebanese has issues with the humidity but I thought I'd give it a shot. Just making seeds this round. How does the Chitrali hold up to humidity? Are there some mold/fungus resistant phenos in that lineage? I love sativas but I always need something around to put me to sleep, and I find it really challenging to grow plants that provide that experience in this climate.

Funny how my complaints have reversed... 10 years ago I whined about only being able to grow squat, generally couchlock/stoned highs indoors hahaha

To give my opinion of chitrali with humidity, i think youd find some phenos that did great for you, others definetely not. I grew two outside. One was 4' tall with rock hard buds and a million tight leaves. It would have most likely molded. The other was 9' tall with fluffier buds and pink pistils. She woulda done good. Growing more inside proved a huge range of phenos, so i think youd just have to find one that worked for you.

ngakpa

Veteran
Aloha!

landraces have a very broad genetic base, which is why they are so important

but plants like Chitrali and Lebanese originate in dry Mediterranean climates, so that's what they are best adapted to

(yes, Chitral is in the Hindu Kush, but the climate is defined as Mediterranean)

the fundamental issue is whether plants like Lebanese have genes to fight off diseases associated with humidity

it seems unlikely - most rain in Lebanon falls outside the grow season; Chitral likewise, and most water comes from irrigation

other thing:

the assumption that 'indica' = sedative is based on the vernacular taxonomy

that paradigm doesn't work so straightforwardly with landrace hash/charas cultigens

you can get sedative terps for sure but there is a lot of variation between plants

CCCsilk

@ thejact55 - Thanks for sharing your experience! Working with genetics developed in predominately arid regions, I figured I’d have to be really lucky to find something tolerant of 70%+ humidity. Your info helps keep me hopeful enough to maintain the pursuit.

@ ngakpa - Yes agreed. I’ve enjoyed both ends of the spectrum of experience from both ends of the common ‘indica’ / ‘sativa’ dichotomy. DJ Short’s F-13 is a prime example of a short, fast flowering plant that produces a beautifully clear head with little to no ceiling and no drag on the come down— an exceptional ‘sativa’ experience. Conversely, I had a friend share a cutting of something he said was labeled “California Hashplant” on the seed pack he received (freebie), and that thing grew out to over 14’ tall with super fluffy buds but man did it do a great job easing me into sleep at the end of the day.

F-13 was obviously worked heavily to achieve those results. The supposed hashplant was perhaps mislabeled but nevertheless provided an experience uncommon to those often associated with a plant of that stature. But, all that aside, my main point is a shared acknowledgment of truth: cannabis is not nearly as easily categorized as people often make it. This underscores the importance of both maintaining landrace genetics, and genetic diversity in general, and researching a wider spectrum of cannabis genetics so we can deepen our understanding of its compounds and associated benefits/risks.

brickweeder

Incredible thread, looking forward to watching those flower develop, and the subsequent smoke reports. The RSC gear looks very very interesting...may have to put the rest of my ace gear on hold...

CCCsilk

ALOHA!

It's been quite some time since the last update. And my... so many things have happened. Here's a quick overview:

Lebanese
All three have been put to rest. I used the two males to seed the one female + the Malana and two Kumaoni. I'm really curious to see the results of that hybrid. The males flowered very quickly: they dropped pollen just 10 days after being put outside in 12:45 / 11:15 photoperiod.

Malana
This girl is amazing. She's budding up beautifully and well ahead of Kumaoni. VERY resilient (more on this later) and, most of all, simply gorgeous to behold and smell. VERY sweet ripe fruit, like tangerine and mango, with a bottom end sweetness akin to condensed milk and a touch of hash spice. I can't imagine she'll bear poor offspring... She's just over 9' tall and about 6' wide.

Kumaoni
The tall one has fared well. She's well over 12' tall, quite stringy and thin, and barely flowering at this point. But she's taking a beating and not backing down one bit. Amazing resilience. I hope she finishes some time before December. The other hasn't held up too well. She's similar in structure and stature to Malana but many stems have snapped off, leaving only about the top half remaining. She's further along in development than the big Kumaoni but behind Malana. She smells exactly like turmeric.

Notes and some interesting happenings
These are, by far, the most resilient plants I've ever grown. During hurricane Lane, our farm received over 55" (1.4m) of rain in 4 days accompanied by some fairly strong winds. With the exception of one of the Kumaoni snapping branches, they took it all in stride and came out the other side thriving. They are beastly strong. No mold, no pests, no diseases so far. Our sheep have taken a liking to nibbling on branches and leaves that hang over the surrounding fence, and the plants just take the hit and keep going.

Photos
The first 3 are of the tall Kumaoni. I've left out the other Kumaoni because, frankly, she's not much to look at. Malana is in the next post.

Enjoy!

Happy growing!
silk