What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chilling w/a summer ice cream thread.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

For starters it seems tempers continue to flare in the political threads, wished I could buy you all an ice cream cone, cold & sugar have very calming effects when combined. Take my word for it ;)

vX0wioR.jpg

A waitress could make a terrific blunder & piss me the flock off trying to play catch up in getting the food out properly, she might then redeem herself by bringing me an ice cold coke/pepsi, and w/o my asking, the smart one's knew this trick.

Cold & sweet, better than puffing on a cigarette furiously.

Anyways, back to ice cream, just like donuts there are local & national favorites. I think most east coast toker's might back me up in crowning Carvel Ice Cream the king of the soft serve product, Carvel was a true cream product, not water added as filler with his famous 'airless ice cream pumps'. Yup others inject air into their product to expend it's size, not Carvel.

They made 'Flying Saucers' (ice cream sandwiches) with the vanilla or chocolate soft serve, they carried scoop ice cream as well, and most famously were their ice cream cakes (Fudgey the Whale).

Another great east coast chain imo is Friendly's, burger restaurants, scoop ice cream, and awesome shakes that at one time were named 'Fribbles', wonder if the name still stuck.

I'm droolin' now, as a type2 diabetic this is off my menu.

Green Squall

There was a Friendly's restaurant here for my whole life and they up and closed with no notice to the workers last month. Everyone was shocked because the place always did good business and never had a lack of customers. Friendly's has unfortunately been in trouble for a while now and I think its the end of an era.

Now for a success story. Any Masshole's know Richardson's Farm? Excellent fucking ice cream who supply many businesses around the state. Oh, and they are located right next to a mini-golf place and driving range - so get baked, hit some balls and enjoy an ice cream!!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was a Friendly's restaurant here for my whole life and they up and closed with no notice to the workers last month. Everyone was shocked because the place always did good business and never had a lack of customers. Friendly's has unfortunately been in trouble for a while now and I think its the end of an era.

Now for a success story. Any Masshole's know Richardson's Farm? Excellent fucking ice cream who supply many businesses around the state. Oh, and they are located right next to a mini-golf place and driving range - so get baked, hit some balls and enjoy an ice cream!!

right on GS, wow, what a coincidence me even mentioning Friendly's just to hear that they closed down over there & may be in other trouble, the one in Hartsdale NY in a strip mall was always hopping, w/a small mutiplex next door the after movie crowd was an after supper bonus.

Haagen Dazs (founded in The Bronx) ice cream parlors have popped up and decent prices, and then Ben & Jerry's, damn I got resentful of a $7 double scoop cone when I wasn't type2 earlier.

The old standby of course being Baskin-Robbins, they're coast to coast as I recall.

shithawk420

Veteran
WHAT!!???i thought Haagen Dazs was dutch or something?Now that i recollect they named it to sound fancy or something to make money.i do like their triple German chocalate or whatever its called. Culvers is pretty good too.

i got an icecream factory 500 ft from me in my small town.when i was 5 or 6 the fucking owner was coming from the bar and hit me on my bike.shoulda sued the shit outta him.Its good icecream.ill give them that.but i hate going past the goddamn place.fuckers

dddaver

Veteran
I'm almost 63 and Friendly's was my first job when I turned 16.

Toasted Almond Fudge. YUMMO! They had a name for their deluxe sunday. Don't remember the name but I remember my buddies father used to come in every Wednesday night and have one.

I remember a black guy came to the window one Saturday and ordered Strawberry in a sugar cone. Then he said, "I just love to let the ice-cream melt in my mouth and suck on the Strawberries." Pretty sure he was toasted. Kind of a weird thing to remember. It was just the enthusiasm and the way he said it. Hilarious.

I finally quit when I wouldn't cut my hair and got tired of pushing it behind my ears.

Friendly's was always plagued by bad management. Back then, they used to collect all the tips, divide them equally among ALL the employees, then pay the difference up to the minimum wage. So no one was actually being tipped except the company. Also causing the government to make a specific law making that illegal. But back then I didn't care...or know at first. I was 16 and it was a job.

Cantharellus

I went into a bar last night which is something I rarely do. Totally baked. Watched the bartender making grasshoppers and pink squirrels. I never knew what they were but I had a taste and it was really good.

packerfan79

Veteran
Can't beat Thriftys ice cream, been getting them since i was q kid, back when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth. Ha ha.

St. Phatty

Not as much of a crowd pleaser as that first pic, but I suggest these for ice cream tools -

* A sturdy bread knife, with serrations etc.

* Big bowls

* Hungry customers

* 2 to 4 cartons of favorite ice cream

You cut pie shaped pieces of the frozen ice cream and give everybody a piece of each flavor.

Kids get big pieces, women concerned about their figures get maybe a spoon-full of each one, diabetics get nothing.

Definite crowd-pleaser. :woohoo:

Personally I think the essential flavors are -
Vanilla & Caramel
Chocolate
Peanut Butter
Berry Something, e.g. Blackberry Cheesecake.

I think it's interesting how a little bit of Salt helps to bring out the flavors in ice cream, e.g. caramel and chocolate.

Green Squall

I really miss ice cream since dairy doesn't agree with me anymore. Luckily I heard about something called Nice Cream. Is it as good as the real thing? Hell no, but its better than nothing.

EDIT - Well I'll be damned. You can buy non-dairy ice cream at the grocery store. Who would've thunk?

Ingredients

• 4 bananas broken apart and frozen in airtight container overnight
  • 2 tbsp cacao powder
  • 2 servings vanilla protein I like Nuzest
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Instructions

1. Add frozen bananas and almond milk to high powered blender to blend (the key is to use as little liquid possible to create a thick & creamy consistency)
  2. Once the texture is somewhat smooth, add in protein powder and cacao powder to blend
  3. **I also love adding a few shakes of Cinnamon for a sweeter flavor. Other additional flavors may include fresh mint leaves, powdered peanut butter, frozen strawberries
  4. Blend until a very thick consistency
  5. You can eat immediately or put in small ramekins (portion control) and use plastic wrap to put in the freezer
  6. When ready to eat, take out of freezer and let defrost for 15 min beforehand
veganchocolatenicecream.png

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Friendly's closed shops around here in Ohigho years ago.

I did notice a few of their ice cream cakes in a local grocery store a couple of days ago.

They must be operating but from where I do not know.

Oh yeah and Ben and Jerry's is totally worth it S4L!

Green Squall

Friendly's closed shops around here in Ohigho years ago.

I did notice a few of their ice cream cakes in a local grocery store a couple of days ago.

They must be operating but from where I do not know.

Oh yeah and Ben and Jerry's is totally worth it S4L!

Massachusetts based company. They filed for bankruptcy in 2011 and have been closing locations since.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Having a hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli’s in San Francisco is one of the best for me.....

St. Phatty

I'm neutral on the presence of cream. Thanks for the recipes for cream-less ice cream.

Ice cream can play a similar role to White Widow and some other strains for me - it settles the stomach.

I would go so far as to say Ice Cream is Drug-like, for me.

Helps me fall asleep sometimes.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
love home-made vanilla ice cream. dad used to soak Grape Nuts cereal in the milk for a day or two before he would crank it up. adds lots of flavor and softens that shit up so you don't break a tooth while eating ice cream...:biggrin:

dddaver

Veteran
I just bought a 1/2 gallon of Friendly's Mint Chocolate Chip here in Florida a few days ago.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm neutral on the presence of cream. Thanks for the recipes for cream-less ice cream.

Ice cream can play a similar role to White Widow and some other strains for me - it settles the stomach.

I would go so far as to say Ice Cream is Drug-like, for me.

Helps me fall asleep sometimes.

awesome, there might have to be an an Ambien flavored ice cream to rock me off to sleep though....... :dunno:

EDIT:
Hey dddaver, found this below on the net, depending on age of it a lot of stores open yet. I checked the Friendly's website & found the huge majority of stores open in the NE states & a few in FL, sorta makes sense as to how many NY'ers live there :good:
I just bought a 1/2 gallon of Friendly's Mint Chocolate Chip here in Florida a few days ago.

A total of 380 Friendly's are spread across Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia.

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
what does it for me is a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a single, pristine glazed donut sitting right next to it! :faint:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
what does it for me is a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a single, pristine glazed donut sitting right next to it! :faint:

ever fry that doughnut in butter, slide it (and melted butter) out onto plate & drop a scoop of ice cream on top of it? me neither, but i'm going to tomorrow. pix to come! :woohoo::biggrin: