What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crossing a IBL with a Landrace?

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
What would be the outcome of crossing an IBL strain with a common Landrace? of course it would be a F1 hyrid, but how stable would the offspring be? would it take more work to stablelize it then say crossing random plants like most of us do? I'm curious because I happen to get lucky enough to get ahold of some nice Landrace strains and I want to do some breeding in the future with them. I figure they would be the best to use in a breeding project. What better would it be then to cross it with a IBL. They say that IBL's are pefect for F1 seed stock. Any info is well appreciated.

TAG-monk

A F-1 is as stable as is parent are. You cant really have more stable then landrace, or at least cleaned up landrace. Do you have any idea of the IBL you want to use? In the days we live in, IBL often only represent true-breeding for a single trait. The most stable modern IBL that i can think of is the skunk, which can even be seen as an "americain landrace" because of its stability. Other then that,..you dont have to worry...you dont have to cross with a skunk to have a nice stable hybrid...in fact the SDIBL looks like it could be interesting Hum.

I should say that even some landrace can even have been a F1 in the past...and then stabilised for centuries by the local farmers.

Last edited:

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
The IBL's I had in mind so far are Deep Chunk, Kodiak Gold, Sour Diesel, and maybe Burmese. I would say Deep Chunk and Kodiak Gold would be my pics because I'm going to be crossing it to a 100% Sativa. I would first grow out my landraces and see what kind of traits they carry. Then I would see what IBL's have the same traits.

Last edited:

Reign of Terror

an ibl is homozygous, and the landrace isnt, its not the most uniform thing, like nepalese strains are breed for resin, but they arent breed in a controlled way, thus you would have to breed and select yourself a couple of generations to get better results

crossing a homozygous strain to a herterozygous strain = a homozygous dom strain

Reign

for example, haze, is an ibl, but it isnt stabilized, there where no slected phenos breed out. so if you crossed that to the stable and ibl deep chuck, deep chunk would be dominate in the cross

Last edited:

TAG-monk

Oh, then i was right, you dont have to worry. The DeepChunk is a landrace, the burmese is a landrace(if its pure....of course). And the kodiak gold looks massivly inbred, by reefeerman, someone we can thrust about breeding knowledge.

But i must say that Sour Diesel IBL x Pure landrace sativa would be fantastic....the SD beeing mostly sativa, crossing it with a pure sat would give sativa dominant high and a crazy effect.

ROT- Youre right, this is why i have specified "cleaned up" landrace.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I'm sure I would have to do a few crosses in order to get what I wanted. I don't expect to just cross the two together and get a 100% stable strain.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
TAG-monk said:
But i must say that Sour Diesel IBL x Pure landrace sativa would be fantastic....the SD beeing mostly sativa, crossing it with a pure sat would give sativa dominant high and a crazy effect.

That would be a nice cross. If I ever can ahold of that Sour D IBL I might think about that. I'll probally do a few with a few IBL's. I have 3 Landraces to work with, all Caribbean Sativas.

TAG-monk

So what it is? Landrace doesnt mean seeds you've collect in the jungle. A strain is a original LAND, race, until it has been hybridised, period.

TAG-monk

Ive just seen your edit.

QUOTE for example, haze, is an ibl, but it isnt stabilized, there where no slected phenos breed out. so if you crossed that to the stable and ibl deep chuck, deep chunk would be dominate in the cross

That is just untrue. Dominating trait dont have anything to do with that. And the haze is as stabilised as it will ever be. Its and orginal 4-WAY hybrid that is past the F10 stage right now. Maybe i dont understand what you are trying to say....but i know iam right.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Well I'm not sure they are stablelized but they are from the Caribbean. One from Jamaica, one from St.Vincent, and one from Barbados. All are 100% Sativas according to the person I got them from. He said they are originally from the Islands so I consider them as Landraces. I don't know how stable they are. I won't know until I grow them out, which will be later in the future. I'm just trying get some info now.

Last edited:

Reign of Terror

TAG-monk said:
Ive just seen your edit.

QUOTE for example, haze, is an ibl, but it isnt stabilized, there where no slected phenos breed out. so if you crossed that to the stable and ibl deep chuck, deep chunk would be dominate in the cross

That is just untrue. Dominating trait dont have anything to do with that. And the haze is as stabilised as it will ever be. Its and orginal 4-WAY hybrid that is past the F10 stage right now. Maybe i dont understand what you are trying to say....but i know iam right.

lol you are right, im such a jackass, but how is it a 4 way, i thought it was thai x lumbo gold x mexican

TAG-monk

Where i said your a jackass? i disagree but nowhere i have lacked of respect for you.

Original Haze is Thai, colombian gold, acapulco gold, south indian kerala.

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
if you crossed Deep Chunk with a unstabilised land race it would obviously be Deep Chunk dominant. look at it this way deep chunk only has ONE pheno. these landrace's have been bred as they see fit in the wild. im growing out a cross of nevilles haze x deep chunk. the nevilles haze being the mother which usually mean's they take more after the mom. but not with ibl's

TAG-monk

Hum, its getting interesting.

If we go and extend this theory a bit..... lets take and skunk x haze F1 hybrid,..and cross it with, let say, deep chunk. You all think the deep chunk will dominate?

And no, they dont take "more after the mom", it really is 50/50, unless a trait is dominant, wich always happen. But maybe we have to consider hybrid vigour here too.

Latest posts

Latest posts