What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

G

Ok Dr_D
Quick question what size of pump would be good to run a bin that holds 18 gallons?
Or should i go smaller size bin? I want to run 2 of them.. with 2 or 3 plants per bin.. Please let me know as i want to get this made tonight... Also pet store i can get airstones yes? Well a different selection than at wally world.. Also do you put the cuttig in a smaller net pot then put that into the final bigger net pot..? Ohh also would i thelp to put the airstone on a base in the bins to get it closer to the top iof the bin? Sorry for so mant questions..Thanx and ill be back later today..

Sack's First Outdoor Grow
LQQK see.. All new updates
Sack's Bubbledust Outdoor Grow
Sack's Cappuccino OD Grow
Sack's Limon OD Grow

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey sacko i use a 100 litre air pump on one bucket so u will need a good size pump(best with 2-3 outlets)...how long u thinkin of veggin for?? i think three plants woulld go ok in that size tub with a short veg time...i go two weeks max. but it cud get cramped with three plants if they get branchy. im sue u willl be able to get airstones from the pet store..and they are best at the bbottom of the tub/bucket, u put ur clone straight into the 6 inch pot(thats wot i use) uthen have the water level over ht ebottom of the pots so the roots get time to ome out into the water....good luck

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
chhers for the 20 quid enviros mate...gonna get one tomorrow.... thanks dude....ima get a truncheon next week too, brand new 55 quid, thazts a price i lkike!
Bolan, I didnt say before, but those round airstones came from a growshop.....
Well I changed the nutes out last night...and then i got a fecking leak from the level indicator.....Ive just read my hot glue sticks lavbel and it says theyr no good where it with be in contact with water....how shit is that.... hot glue hould be water tight...Dammit, So I had to swap for thebucket without a level indicator and stick a peice of aluminium taoe on the inside at the water line for matey boy to know where to top up to. anyopne got any suggectuions....
Before any1 mentions bathroom silicone, its no good coz it rots in the nutrient tunrs to snot, this i discovered on my 1st bucket last year! I wonder if a bit of araldite would do it(epoxy resin) im really pissed off about those glue gun sticks.... ill get that new catalougue ordered I only got one a couple ofweeks ago but it must be the older one then?? what colour is the new one Dr??? the latest one I have is a yellowish orange colour.

Guvnor

:wave:

Harry - Epoxy resin will do the job mate, or a few blokes on site use plumbers putty?, believe thats what its called.
Thought of using a float valve in a larger container/res-to constantly keep the water level,will require a water pump. Like what you'd set up in a recuirculating system, only with the one bucket. May seem like alot of hassel for the task?
Hope this helps harry

Using the bubbler line at the moment, only decided to use it to stop my airwands becoming engulfed by roots-which in turn stops the bubbles in my bubbler-abit counter productive. I didnt get mine from growell but its all got to be the same gear- I may try what harry said about attacking it with a needle.
But from what you fellas have been saying it looks like i'll be better off sticking to wands and stones, since some of the airpumps i use only have one outlet i may try coming off with a length of air-line the a tee into 2 stones. Using two or more stones in one bucket is really the only way I can see tackelling the root problem-But i'll never win any awards for my brain-power, so maybe someone can come up with something. But buying double outlet pumps for one bucket could be APITA.

Oh Yeah, everyones pictures are looking top class- hope ya dont mind me posting a few pic's up soon of my new run and system doc- Stuck sensi star cut in the bubbler a couple days back, roots should be out the net pots soon.

All the best Farmers

Guv'nor :joint:

Last edited:
Dr. D, is that dried out top bud some sort of budrot? I had a superdense top bud go like that on me too.

375mold3-med.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. D

Veteran
Benito hi man, u got t spot on mate..i thought id cut off the dry bud from the hanging lant last night...and good job i did too wen i cut open the main bud blamo!! fuckin black/grey mould diff to the white/grey stuf im familiar with now i kno how the water supply was cut off to the main buds it hadnt really spread allot but it was right inside the bud on the stem i chucked away bout an eigth and froze another few grams for bubble...i was a bit pissed off but with buds that tight wat can u do?

Mary Mary

You have some gorgeous plants going there!

Sorry to hear about the mold. My last crop had some of it also. Didn't even see it until after harvest. I have since learned, as it appears you have, that if the bud starts dying on the live plant it's probably mold.

Since then, I've increase circulation and decreased humidity. I'm sure hoping one of those things will help. But then again, it could be I'm getting too greedy and letting the buds get too thick?? :chin:

All the best,
Mary

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey there all, im having a few problems with temps in my grow at night and was thinking that one of those air pumps that sits in the DWC may warm the water enough to stop any problems with it getting too cold.....also gonna wrap something around the bucket for insulation.
Peace

But Rot, Damp Off and Stem Rot(when Cloning) the deadly trio for me. Yhay picture i posted above cost me like an ounce off a three ounce cola :pointlaug :yoinks: :badday:

That was in wet weight though...

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
Bud rot sucks, i have delt with it alot in my past 3 grows, i detect it by a dying leaf coming out of the bud, if i see one sure as shit , spread tha bud apart and BAM! bud rot. I m going the dehumidifier route and i also have vastly improved my intake /exhaust and overall air curculation. Well see what happens, right now im fighting the BORG (MITES) they suck!

BONZ

Bonzo

Veteran
I can relate Benito this bueaty was claimed by rot:

And the real bummer was it set in at a very early stage and hit alot of the smaller buds as well so i had no choice but to chop her.

Just out of curiosity ,what strain gave you a 3 oz cola?

peace

bonz :wave:

Last edited:
:chin: I kind on knew I was going to get called out on that one, I was pretty high when I posted that bold claim :pointlaug

That 3 OZ was like 5 seconds after chop weight so that is like what I call "fisherman" weight sorry.

The strain was WYD. I've been doing this to my plants
to maximize space and to stop them from getting burnt on the HPS(sort of like am ugly scrog without the chicken wire thingee. And sometimes this happens.

But sometimes this happens too

Oh I don't want to highjack this thread more then I already have sooo...to get back to the subject of bubblers, the big bud next to the jameson bottle was grown using a crappy Emily's Garden...the simplest of the bubble newbie method...so don't let the guys at the grow shop try to sell you on some expensive NFT or Aero system...unless you got the cash and like to mess around...you can grow fatties, cheaply and easily.

know_one

how much light through top?

how much light through top?

Hi Dr. D
I love this thread and the simple set up.
I started this new grow yesterday and have a question about how much light can get in through top cover.
I have the outside of bucket covered so that no light can enter from sides, however, the top is just the lid that came with bucket and is not completely opaque.
How much light can safely get into bucket without causing too much algea?
Thanks.

5 gallon bucket with top cut

with screen added

after adding pellets, airstone, and cuttings.

top view

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey all true i was lookin at those submersible air pumps, onlly problem being wen the roots fill the bucket they cud engulf the pump...i also thought it may let off too much heat sat in such a small amount of water...is u temp ok with lights on? if so it will more than likely get hotter with lights on and that will cause problems root rot etc. id go for a heat mat then set it to go on wen the lights go off a 12 x 12 inch heat mat is quite cheap and only 12 watt.
Hey know one if u can get some aluminium tappe and cove rthe lids with it that will block out any light. Just to be sure, u dont want any light getting in...be sure to post some pics of ur grow here or give me a link to to grow thread...peace

1977m

hi to all..whats are the optimal temp for flowering? and whats the lowest...i dont want to freeze my babys in cold mouths hehe...for now im having between 17-19C with lights off and 21-25C with lights on...should i make some changes??
tnx:)
1 more q...
how about temperature of water&nutriens?
tnx again

Last edited:
B

BuzzBoy

that sounds great to me 1977m :) water should be around 70 fahrenheit if im not mistaken, and definitely not 80 or more. hope im not passing false information im just going by what i remember and im high and tired.

Mary Mary

:wave: Hi all,

My understanding is the same as BuzzBoy. 80's is a little too high and 68 is about the minimum, during lights on. Lights off I'm not sure it matters that much. I also like Dr. D's idea about the hot pad, maybe wrap it around pot (electrical possibilities?).

I also saw several entries about the air pump in bubblers. Where I come from, they recommend using the larger of the two pumps Wal-Mart sells (in the pet/aquarium section), with their air stones. Their tubing is clear and you really need black. I got mine where they sell sprinkler/drip systems for the garden (Home Depot). It's what I use, cheap, available, and easy, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure you could do better, but why? It works.

They also recommend wrapping the buckets (lids also) with some sort of light shield. Light in the res will cause algae to grow which will kill the plants. I use black/white plastic. I would guess this would help insulate the bucket to keep the temp fairly constant and not effected by lights/night temps as much??

And those are my thoughts on the matter, for what it's worth :2cents:

All the best,
Mary

Last edited:

1977m

tnx Buzz and Mary...so; no less than 68F (20C) for water in tank..now its around 21C...just on the start of the "day" is around 19C(66F)...air temp...is 16-17C(60F-62F) too low for "night"?
tnx...&stay high
btw...for tank i use a 25liters picnic cooling bag..:))..so no need for insulation... airpump&airstone is missing in there...will buy as soon as possible...

know_one

Thanks for help concerning light through top.
I'll start a thread and post pics of grow as it progresses.

Dr. D said:
Hey know one if u can get some aluminium tappe and cove rthe lids with it that will block out any light. Just to be sure, u dont want any light getting in...be sure to post some pics of ur grow here or give me a link to to grow thread...peace