What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Afghan breeding project

G

Hi esbe, good to hear you obtained some more seeds from Ghana, would like to try those one day, I've always wanted to find something similar to the 'Accra Skunk' Zamalito had and that came from Ghana.

That plant of EM's is a real stunner, so I feel I have to post a nice one of my own to ameliorate the inferiority complex looking at that plant gives me!

DSCF0052.jpg

Ganja Pasha said:
Hiya kenned, I know very little about the Jahwi's, even esbe who is the source of these seeds doesn't know much. I think they are seeds brought back from Ghana by the son of a Danish diplomat a few years ago.

Hiya African herbman, I hope the PA x Mexi is as good as I hope, the plan is to make an IBL with the high of the Mexican, but a bit shorter flower time and hopefully the purple colour of the PA. The Mexican produces male flowers all the way thorugh flowering, not that many, and I think they are sterile, there was a full-blown hermie from the same batch of seeds to, so there is definitely an intersex trait there that needs to be dealt with in the subsequent linebreeding, the fact the original female has these nanners probably means backcrossing to her would be a bad idea, we shall see.

I'm not very impressed with the Purple Afghan pheno I have test flowering, doesn't look to be the purple pheno, although some purpling is slowly appearing on the calyxes, and although she is at 37 days of 11/13, she hasn't produced much bud so far. She has been pollinated which won't help, but I expected more from her, the jury is still out of course as she has time left, but I'm not impressed yet. She is flowering under a 65w CFL so not expecting big yield, but I expected to see more bud formation than she is showing so far.

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

I was thinking the same thing mate, if it were me I would try make it Mexi dominant with the PA's influence in the flowering department. My first thought would be backcrossing to the Mexi mother but male flowers you say? Hmm, so no backcrossing. Maybe make f2's and breed Mexi dominant phenos? Maybe you'll get lucky and find phenos that exhibit sativa high with indica bud structure and short flowering. Oh, and that lovely purple.

Is that a Mexi x PA tester above?^^^ Sorry for asking, just a tad confused...
Regards

G

Yup, linebreeding and selcting the Mexican dominant phenos. The Mexican has huge buds, if I could add some more density to them it would yield even more massiely than it does, and if I can also add the purple colouration of the PA, that would be a beast of a strain imho.

Nope, that's a PA clone, due to my recent security concerns the work got set back a few months because I had to toss all my plants and most of my equipment, so I'm still at the growing out different females to find the best one to make the next generation on the road towards stabilising for the purple colouration. I like the male I have, he has several good traits, but I really have no idea of he passes on the purple trait until I grow out some of his progeny. The idea behind using him to make a load of hybrid seeds is that I can get a few folks to do test grows and if they find purple phenos, I know I have a male that does pass on the purple trait, if not, I'll have to find another male! This is gonna take a while with my resources, but I'm hoping plenty of folks will lend a hand with the test growing.

muddy waters

but I'm hoping plenty of folks will lend a hand with the test growing.
Well brother you know where to find me :)

Also just thinking out loud with you-Bud density (re: Yucateca hybrid) would probably be a good criteria for the F2 more than the F1 gens... F1 I would concentrate on potency--that's just me.

Kenny Lingus

Thx for the answers and info Esben and BH! Jahwi's Joy seem joful enough don't it?!?

I'm ready to test Ghanesian ganja and purple pot any day guys. You just holler out at me!

(Will have a few Sour Bubble bx2 infused eggs for friends to break after the summer....)

G

Ah, I have two great guys to help me! Kenny, Muddy, I'll be a hollerin' in about 2 weeks.

Muddy, I concur, sort the potency and effect first, then once that trait is stabilised, I can worry about the secondary concerns - colour, density, taste, flower time. It will probably take a longtime to get to where I wanna take this line - a killer purple sativa IBL. To be honest, given the massive yield of both the El Yuc and PA, I doubt I'll have to do much selection as regards bud size and yield. I think the challenge will come in selecting out the intersex trait of the El Yuc but keeping the amazingly speedy high intact.

Kenny, the Jahwi's is a lovely plant, and despite how wild and crazy it is, it is actually flowering fine indoors now, whereas the Thai is looking like it isn't maturng and won't finish. Sour Bubble infused eggs, those sound intriguing! Please tell us more!

I would love to make a trip to Scandinavia this autumn, go see esbe and the other Danish legend with a pipe in Jutland, then swing by and see Kenny, and maybe finish off way up north and see my fellow sativa freak herbalistic. I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights and the Midnight Sun, and I was born in bred in a land of mountains, lakes and cold weather at 54N, so I reckon I would feel quite at home in Scandinavia.

K

kenned

Well, I can tell you what I know about the Jahwis joy...
But the seeds is not from the on of a danish diplomat... Its from a danish guy that has a company down there..

They dont do any kind of selective breeding, just throw out some seeds in spring, hope some makes it and then come back in autumn...
From time to time I have a chance to talk to jahwi (the guy who sends the seed from ghana) but he can't really tell anything about the grow pattern, flower time or anything..
Except that its pure sativa, and grow quite tall outside... (of course, hehe)

Some time ago he send me a little plastic-bag full of jahwis joy, small-medium seized, all dark seeds. But with a very low germination rate...

A fellow danish grower here on IC just finished a grow with a Jahwis joy... think he's called JRW...

Well, thats all I remember...

Good luck with the JJ...

Oh, by the way... i grew up in Jutland (jylland in danish), close to germany... lots of beautiful areas..

take care,
kenned

G

Cheers kenned, at least we know the Jahwi's Joy is straight from Ghana and hasn't been hybridised or polluted, the one I have is wild indeed!

G

What's the potency like on the Black Russian? Is is Blackberry x AK47?

I've smoked a Blackberry cross before and it wasn't that potent and had a vile taste. What's the BR taste like?

T

TheOneWill

If you plan selling them at a seed bank let me know. They look amazing.

Kenny Lingus

pop by bh. expensive country, but cheap fares from major airports in uk. (Midnight sun is pretty far up (or down) You need to reach the polar circles, and it lasts until the end of july on the mainland. In the polar area round late September sometime.

Northern light can be seen anywhere away from the suburban lights.

C

crownedsparrow

I will help you out pusha however possible. very interesting! good luck!

G

Ganja Pasha said:
What's the potency like on the Black Russian? Is is Blackberry x AK47?

I've smoked a Blackberry cross before and it wasn't that potent and had a vile taste. What's the BR taste like?

The ones i have are a great day smoke. Hell anything crossed with the Cherry Pheno of AK-47 is gonna be good smoke. I still cant post pics yet but once i get over 25 post(i think) ill post some pics of my Black Russians. You can see a 2week 12/12 one in my gallery. SWIMB will have some done end of July so SWIM will put up some harvest shots.

If you put any of those up for sale let me know. Ill cross the males in to BR and the male BRs into the females from yours.

Gotta love the purple!

G

Ooh, Cherry AK, I was lucky enough to sample that once, my friend also had the Cherry Slyder cut which was more potent, but the Cherry AK was tastier and bigger yielding.

I'm working on making PA seeds, but sadly the female I've got currently appears to be the green/pink pheno, so I'm gonna have to start more seeds.

G

Hiya folks

Just a quick update. I have three PA clones flowering under an experimental 25W LED array. The array has 13 high power LEDs:

7 x CREE XR red
3 x CREE XR-E P4 White
1 x Luxeon III red
1 x Luxeon III royal blue
1 x Luxeon K2 Warm White

Seems to be working a treat, took an hour to construct and the heatsink is barely warm to the touch when it's running, you can place it within a couple of cm of the plant and it won't burn them, the plant can touch the LEDs themselves and not burn even.

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

Last edited:
G

Here's some better pics that show the colour of the light properly, it looks purple/red to the naked eye.

DSCF0002.jpg

Same shot but with flash:

DSCF0001.jpg

I added the CDs to the pots to reflect back any light so it's not wasted, as you can see by the reflections on them, and the light patches on the lowest leaves, a fair bit of light is penetrating down that far, so light penetration is as good as my 250W HPS, much better than fluoros, so hopefully the bottom buds should be quite chunky.

DSCF0008.jpg

Resin production is good, despite the light not producing any UV, I'm gonna add some UV LEDs before long, see if they increase resin production.

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

Last edited:
G

i read about these somewhere it may of been urbangrower mag ,i'll find it out :joint:

G

I can post all the info and links if ya like, I've done 6 months of hardcore research into the required spectra for photosynthnesis and LEDs, took me an hour to build this light, so if I can, anyone can! lol