What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Afghan breeding project

G

Hiya folks

I'm sure you remember the Purple Afghans I grew last year, here's some pictures to jog your memory:

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

I started 8 seeds and got 4 females and 3 males, 1 didn't germ. There were two green males and two purple ones. Three of the plants yielded 29 to 32g each, the fourth was a green pheno and had always been a runt, this was my first run in coco and I was very impressed with the yields for a 250w HPS and 2 1.7 litres of coco. The finished buds were beautiful, intensely coloured, the green pheno was pink on the lower buds, all the females had a similar potency and taste, being sweet and hashy, reminded me very much of 'squidgy black' afghan/paki hash we used to get in the 90s on the UK. Surprisingly, there was almost no body stone, the effect being felt mostly in the front of the head and at first onset felt like your forhead was turning into ice, a feeling I like very much! The high is dreamy, floaty, mellow and relaxing, very pleasant to smoke day or night, perfect for long summer afternoons.

G

I had a cloning problem at the time and never managed to keep cuts, but I did chose one of the three males and pollinated all four females and made small batches of seed. It was pretty easy to chose the strongest candidate from the three males - two were typically lanky, lacking in brancking and tall, the third was shorter, more compact and with very strong branching, he had the same structure as the females and I was surprised when he showed himself to be male. Anyways, I ended up with four batches of seed, one from each female.

Male:

P1010012.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Typically lanky, tall male:

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

My chosen keeper male:

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Unusually strong branching for a male:

P1010012.jpg

I chose the seeds from the pheno pictured above (PA #4) and started a small batch a few months back. After starting them 12/12 from seed I had a mishap and killed most of the seedlings, only 2 survived. Luckily, they turned out to be male and female and both appear to be very similar to the purple pheno that mothered them, as they have inherited her intense purple colouring on her leaf veins, stems and petioles, the green phenos did not have this purpling in veg.

My second generation PA mother, she has intensely purple stems, petioles and leaf veins:

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

PA male clone:

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

The PA male father, he also has the deep purple colouring on stems and petioles, I have high hopes that crossing these two plants will produce mostly purple offspring:

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

Female clones just potted out on Friday:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

Took some more clones too and popped them in my bubble cloner:

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

So let me be clear, these are the only 2 plants to survive, so not really selection going on here, but I have more seeds in reserve and I'm going to thoroughly stress test both these plants tto try and reveal any lurking unpleasant traits such as intersex and hope a few folks will test grow some of the seeds I make by crossing these two and that will indicate whether I made a good choice in using these particular parents. I can always go back to the seeds and find alternative parents. So what's where this project is so far, all comments welcome!

A

Aerokush101

SIMPLY PUT, the purple afghan is beautiful. I would hit on her if she was your girlfriend.

Let me get a chair, this is gonna be good.

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
yeah I remember this purple. Been wondering where you went. You always have something interesting going.

bpb

sounds like a great project gonna sit back and watch heres a pic of a afgani cross i did in 07 wasnt purple but was good would definately grow afgani again

elsocio

Hola Ganja Pasha, he germinado 17 semillas de purple afghan regalo de alfred, segun comenta alfred son de buestra linea, si no molesto me quedare por aki y esta noche pondre fotos de como estan.

Un saludo.
El Socio.

S

ScrogHog

Ganja Pasha said:
Hiya folks

I'm sure you remember the Purple Afghans I grew last year, here's some pictures to jog your memory:

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

I started 8 seeds and got 4 females and 3 males, 1 didn't germ. There were two green males and two purple ones. Three of the plants yielded 29 to 32g each, the fourth was a green pheno and had always been a runt, this was my first run in coco and I was very impressed with the yields for a 250w HPS and 2 1.7 litres of coco. The finished buds were beautiful, intensely coloured, the green pheno was pink on the lower buds, all the females had a similar potency and taste, being sweet and hashy, reminded me very much of 'squidgy black' afghan/paki hash we used to get in the 90s on the UK. Surprisingly, there was almost no body stone, the effect being felt mostly in the front of the head and at first onset felt like your forhead was turning into ice, a feeling I like very much! The high is dreamy, floaty, mellow and relaxing, very pleasant to smoke day or night, perfect for long summer afternoons.
Fucking spectacular

P

perakko

interesting project indeed!

i'm sure some greedy pollenchuckers would be making a lotta bucks with a purple afgan landrace but i know that's not the case in here!

now let's see how they do outside?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've got two plants from the original batch of seeds growing out now at around six inches - nothing unusual to report so far, but they look classically Afghani so far - with green stems up to now, but it's early days yet.

What´s up brotha!!!!???

I´m searching you bro hahahahaha, ¿ arrive my pack?

If we can help you, in spain we are a lot of people that growing your genetic.

Some pics of my last pregnant pruple afghan mum!!

This pheno was spectacular, with a very lemon odor, a lot of lemon odor, this planta could called Purple Lemon Rocks heheheheh.

When i harvest the seeds i share this with amount of people, now i have two purple afghan in flowering time. One will be a supreme mother, because the structure, color and smell are unbelivable.

Friend, if you need some pollen or any female to pollinated with your pollen please let me know, i´m glad to help you :wave:

G

Thanks for the interest guys!

Hola Alfred! Yes, the package did indeed arrive, many thanks indeed and very sorry I forget to let you know. The Petrolia will probably be the first one I start as I think it is an old Afghani IBL and should be ideal for crossing to the PA. Very glad you enjoyed the PA and many, many thanks for making seeds and sharing them around, with a little generosity from us all, everyone can benefit, the community helping itself!

Alfred, I have been intrigued by your PA plants, they are quite different looking to mine, always interests me how genetics grown with different methods and environments can produce different expressions. Alfred's PA has more visible resin than mine did and looks to be a more 'indica' expression - probably closer to the way this line grows naturally in Afghanistan than the way mine looked, one day I must come to Spain to see for myself how this beauty grows under the Spanish sun, that would be a perfect holiday! Also interesting that your lady had a strong lemon taste/smell, I didn't have any lemon or citric flavours or smells from mine, they were all sweet and hashy, could be just differences in environments responsible for the difference.

Hola El Socio, thanks for saying hello, hope you enjoy the plants and find many purple ladies. I am not sure how many will be green and how many purple, originally it was 50/50 but I selected purple parents to make the seeds I gave to Alfred, and he selected purple parents for the P3 generation you have, so I would hope the ratio is higher now and there are mostly purple plants. I would love to see some pictures, please feel free to post some!

No habla espanol, so let google translator mangle my words into Spanish!

Gracias por decir hola, espero que disfrute de las plantas y encontrar muchas señoras púrpura. No estoy seguro de cuántos serán verdes y el número de púrpura, que originalmente era 50/50, pero he seleccionado púrpura a los padres a hacer las semillas que he dado a Alfred, y púrpura padres seleccionados para la generación de P3 que usted tiene, por lo que esperamos la proporción es más alta y ahora hay mayoría de las plantas púrpura. Me encantaría ver algunas imágenes, por favor siéntase libre para enviar algunos!

That goes for Elevator Man too, love to see some pictures of your plants sometime, I'd love to see many people contribute here, either with pics on reports on the Purple Afghan or of any similar coloured plants, Afghani or otherwise, it;s all about sharing knowledge isn't it?

Last edited:

dkmonk

Awesome glad to see your doing some more work with probably the most unique buds ive ever seen. Good luck can't wait to see some test grows. Any other crosses you planning to make?

G

Hiya dkmonk. My PA male is gonna be used to pollinate a couple of other cuts, just for fun and experimentation. The first cross I'm gonna make is to my exceptional Mexican lady I found from bagseed.

G

hi bh if i see any plants while i'm in lanzarote i'll photograph em for ya ,,,anyone know if theres a ferry/boat to morrocco from lanzarote ?

G

Hiya hazy, enjoy lanzarote, if ya see any bright magenta/purple plants over there, they might just be from me! lol

The ferry to Morocco goes from Algeceiras, but they have loads of dogs and narcs, not easy to bring anything back. When I went to Morocco, we drove there from Tunisia in an old Peugeot and scored some amazingly sticky hash, I put it in the fridge back in Tunisia and it was still sticky as fuck after an hour cooling down. I smoked a big bowl for breakfast then fell off a scooter onto my arse doing about 20mph and just got up and laughed, it hardly hurt at all - until the hash wore off and it stung like hell so I spent the rest of the holiday caned out of my tree cos my arse was sooo sore. Great hash tho.

Last edited:
Yes brother, in 30 minutes i´ll show the PA that i have growing. The green pheno are begining to show purple flowers... then, no is green pheno heheheheheheheh. I love the odor of this strain.

Friend, i live in canary island, near morroco. The weather is totally tropical, we can grow all the year. My PA flowering outdoor with very high temepratures around 25 - 30º and it turns purple !!

Hola elsocio!!! :wave:

Peace and love!!.