What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trumps wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Does the site have the ability to filter out "bad" words as they are posted? Sure there is still an insult but instead of the actual word you get ****. Perhaps doing that will ween people from using that type of speech without gagging anyone.

thats a terrible idea, we are not a kindergarten. people just need to grow up and not insult each other when discussing issues.

anyway, in the end this thread is divisive and off topic, basically a political fuck fest. i'm sure it will be binned forthwith. there is always a few who can't discuss these things like adults and have nothing to say. so they spout insults.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
We have a similar situation in the UK with illegal immigration, even though the UK is comprised of a number of islands, and there is quite a body of water between the UK and mainland Europe.

If the larger islands are added the coastline, as measured by the standard method at Mean High Water Mark, rises to about 19,491 miles (31,368 km). According to the CIA Factbook, the length of the UK coastline is around 12,429 km or 7,723 miles.

To those calling them "illegals", How can a person be illegal? Every single one of us in an "illegal" everytime we smoke cannabis.

We are allowed to have differing views on immigration, but this thread is about the Wall. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that a wall will not work to stop unwanted immigration in any way.

"You show me a 10 foot wall, I'll show you an 11 ft ladder."

Off topic: You CANNOT see the Great Wall of China from Space with the human eye.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/workinginspace/great_wall.html

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
From my understanding, it's not the person that's illegal, it's the act of entering a country/state illegally that is illegal.

I'm currently embroiled in trying to get my own wife into the UK legally, since she is a foreign national, and believe me it really is not easy. It would probably be easier just to pay some people smugglers to get her in, but I don't want to risk that, so am determined to do it the legal way.

Wendull C.

Veteran
To those calling them "illegals", How can a person be illegal? Every single one of us in an "illegal" everytime we smoke cannabis.

We are allowed to have differing views on immigration, but this thread is about the Wall. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that a wall will not work to stop unwanted immigration in any way.

"You show me a 10 foot wall, I'll show you an 11 ft ladder."

Off topic: You CANNOT see the Great Wall of China from Space with the human eye.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/workinginspace/great_wall.html

Easy, illegal alien. A person who emigrated to another country in violation of that country's laws. Period.

My point was the act is illegal, not the person. I am Puerto Rican(automatic US citizen) but have been called an illegal many times in my life. It's extremely derogatory and implies that a person has zero basic human rights.

As I said, if you use the action to define if a person is illegal, then everyone on this site is an "illegal" due to our use and handling of Cannabis.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I bet this guy just wants to make the mexicans build the wall first. And they might think about this if he continues his mandate like he started it.

Wendull C.

Veteran
In our country, the US, all people whether designated illegal or not, are all protected under our Constitution.

Once here, all people share the same rights as those born here. I don't understand saying that illegals have zero human rights. Just look at the border patrol changing diapers and heating burritos before being forced to let the illegals walk with nothing more than a court date. Then they can come to California get a driver's license and become part of the welfare state if they so choose.

So the whole they don't get welfare comments or have zero human rights rings hollow with me.

Take a look at how Mexicans treat their illegals and tell me the United States treats people with zero human rights.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wonder how that logic would go over with American Indians like the Cree. The European was stronger and more advanced, you had no border so they came and took over. Deal with it.

Have to agree on the lazy Americans. Lots are second or third generation children of immigrants too though. Not as hungry as the original border hoppers.

I am not blaming illegal immigrants exactly, they are hungry and the US is a big buffet with an open door. No need to hate them or the 'fat fucks' who use their labor and do not want to work in the sun all day or get paid shit wages. :tiphat:

There are machines that can pick produce, they just cost more upfront than illegal Mexicans, so no push to change. Houses got built before illegals were doing most of it, lawns mowed, etc.

The wall might be good for stopping or at least slowing repeat offenders of the criminal type( deported multiple times). Stopping the economic reward is the only way to stop the other 95%. E-verify or similar.

The reason there are millions of illegals in the US is because the government is corrupt and complicit in letting them stay and work. Repubs and Dems, Reagan had the first amnesty which caused millions more to come. He blamed the dems later as if he was clueless that they might not follow his enforcement plans. right...

You I like. The others, not so much.

Agreed re: Native Americans. The stronger civilization won. I much enjoyed reading Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel, as well as the follow up, Collapse.

Many up here complain about immigrants and the Syrian refugees. Short sighted people, I think. It is estimated we need to increase our population three fold within five decades to stay relevant on the global stage and avoid territorial encroachment. Current population expansion estimates dictate we will never reach this goal without an influx numbering in the millions.

It will change Canada irreversibly, but with the Russians planting flags on our land, claiming our resources, what other course is there? The energy resources (and shipping routes) of the Arctic can fuel our rise as a northern powerhouse, or we can dither and watch others eat our bread.

Wendell C, I am from the Southern US, so it may be different. The word is used as a worse replacement for other racial slurs about anyone of Hispanic or Latino descent.

I bring it up because how would you be like to referred to as an "illegal" just because you smoke cannabis. Do you deny the fact of how cannabis users have been treated for decades because of their breaking the law?

Classifying something as illegal in this country has lead to all sort of abuses of power. Why classify an entire group people as such?

This is all a bit off topic for this thread so I will leave it alone.

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
I get where you are coming from.

I grew up in southern California. When I lived near Los Angeles where I was born my name was white boy through my freshman year before I moved to an area that was mostly white boys.

I am a legal citizen. When I smoke pot I am committing a federally illegal act but my status in the country is legal.

Someone who came here illegally has no legal status and is therefore illegal.

I see the tactic of calling illegal aliens "migrants" as a way for the open borders crowd on both sides of the political isle to stifle dissent to their policies.

It's clear Wendull that you use the term in a benign way, I am just point out there are many who use it maliciously. That maliciousness can lead to negative outcomes for legal citizens as well as unwanted immigrants.

I do find your distinction between an illegal citizen breaking federal law by entering the country and a legal citizen breaking federal law by consuming cannabis to be a bit arbitrary.

We are both committing "crimes" and both face the lessening of our rights and reputations compared to others who do not practice civil disobedience out of sheer necessity.

Last edited:

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Imo, being a criminal is as American as apple pie.

I would have to imagine a large percentage of the folks in this room would also be considered "criminals". Being "civilized" means there are gonna be "criminals", right?

Alls Im saying is we should not be so quick to pass judgement.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged"

geneva_sativa

Root of the problem is a corrupt monetary policy. This engenders vice and irresponsibility.

Every problem highlighted in this thread is related to this issue.

Artificially low interest rates, unaccountable government spending, wars for resources to prop up the illegitimate state, all can be traced back to an unsound monetary policy.

810FireFarm

The Mexican wall will be a chain-link fence with barbed wire

The Canadian wall will be made of finished fine Oak planks with welcome gifts and a greeter

810FireFarm

joking of course, its terrible whats going on with our "leaders" these days. way over here in Michigan we just sorta laugh it off and keep going, we have enough trouble in Flint and Detroit, and the President obviously wont/ doesn't spend time round here

Status
Not open for further replies.