What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HID, HPS, MH, CMH lamp...POLARITY

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey been searching for a definite answer on how to safely connect electric wiring on any of the aforementioned lamp systems. We have phase, neutral and ground here. I am wondering if phase and neutral cable on the lamp socket can be exchanged!? Does it matter in which direction electricity flows through the lamp? I know it's working both ways but would like to know are there problems or dangers doing it one or the other way. Electricians here? I took a voltage detector and used it on the cable coming from the ballast going to the lamp and its signalling power on the phase and the neutral cable. Why is that? I always thought the neutral cable should carry no power.

T

Teddybrae

So your power supply is AC! Alternating current. It uses both circuits alternatively but needs the third ... an Earth ... for safety. Yes the circuits are exchangable for lighting.

If you're using a long lead from your supply you might need to drive in an earth stake close to your grow room. Is the grow room far from your meter box?

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So your power supply is AC! Alternating current. It uses both circuits alternatively but needs the third ... an Earth ... for safety. Yes the circuits are exchangable for lighting.

If you're using a long lead from your supply you might need to drive in an earth stake close to your grow room. Is the grow room far from your meter box?

Hey thanks for answering. So you say it doesn't matter which phase goes to the tip of the lamp socket? Over here electricity cables always come with ground/earth cable added. And yes we have an ac system across the country.

Last edited:

enzymesexudates

Use the hot for the tip of the lamp socket just for safety reasons. Threaded section would be the neutral, More chance of touching the threaded socket and a ground source and completing the circuit across your chest from arm to arm if the hots on the thread.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use the hot for the tip of the lamp socket just for safety reasons. Threaded section would be the neutral, More chance of touching the threaded socket and a ground source and completing the circuit across your chest from arm to arm if the hots on the thread.

That would actually be right, but as I said, from the ballast both cables have voltage on them.