What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disable Java NOW!

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks Hammer :tiphat:

Ayo Skip,just wondering why at the bottom of my screen it says i may not post new threads? i dont remember it ever being like that before bud.
thanks.
peace-T-

LeeROI

That's probably good, but JavaScript doesn't need to be disabled. If you're running Windows you can go into control panel and look under installed programs (add/remove programs) to see if Java is there.

:yeahthats

Win7 calls it "Programs and Features"

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
What alternatives have WE got, is there sumthing else we can use instead of Java?

For windows... you can build your own using OpenJDK. This link says you can do it with free tools. (A big plus in the M$ world)

Otherwise, I believe you're stuck. M$ is my second operating system though, so I may be wrong... linux being my main. You have the option of OpenJDK or IBM's JVM on linux... only took 2 minutes to change mine.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

LeeROI

I uninstalled Oracle Java this morning. The only site I ever visit these days that runs Java (I think) is time.gov. The time.gov widget works fine without Java.

Mrgrowem

Theres a new update for Java. Version 7 update 11 build 1.7.0_11-b21 for WinXP. For other systems it may be different. It addresses this problem or at least its supposed to. May be better than removing Java ?

Update !!!

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security warned that a security update of Oracle Corp's Java software for Web browsers does not do enough to protect computers from attack, sticking to its previous advice that the program be disabled.

"Unless it is absolutely necessary to run Java in web browsers, disable it," the Department of Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team said on Monday in a posting on its website.

Last edited:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Mrgrowem

Unfortunately many security experts have already shot the new update down and are still recommending disabling or removing.
Here's the bad news: there is no "fix" for the bug yet. Here's the worse news: it is believed that malicious sites on the web are already aware of this security hole and are trying to exploit it.

CC

RB56

Veteran
I used to have Java installed because I knew I was using it in various ways. After this thread got my attention I realized I wasn't sure I was using it at all anymore. Decided to uninstall it and see if I ran into any "Requires Java" messages from something I wanted to do. So far, nothing.

It's always better NOT to have software installed that you don't use. It can be a security hole or it can slow the system down for no reason. We'll see what happens. I used to need to know this stuff.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I disabled Java over 2 years ago and not once have I hit a web site that gave me a pop-up. Not one single time.

The security issues with Java go back a long, long time and has been discussed on tech boards in-depth for a long, long time.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
I disabled Java over 2 years ago and not once have I hit a web site that gave me a pop-up. Not one single time.

The security issues with Java go back a long, long time and has been discussed on tech boards in-depth for a long, long time.

and in most cases they are java haters in those forums. there are a ton of pastey skinny wristed coders who absolutely hate java and will hate on it anytime they can. so if there is a flaw, they shit on it asap.

most used language still is java, and it gets better and better.

anyhow, u asshats who are like omfg disable. im willing to bet some of u same folks have facebook, u know that site? where people take photos of turkey burgers and make useless comments about nothing. imo uninstall if u are worried. cause other than that, your info has already been had friends.

and the turds in the same camp, probably post grow shows ya? but hey disable your java LOL