What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial How to Make Full Melt Dry Sift!!! photo essay

mofeta

Veteran
Post number followed by actual information about your method in the post:

1) Carding only breaks up contaminants further
I made this in less than a minute. No carding. No cleaning. Nothing.
I am getting something in the area of 2g per ~30 second run

2)No info

3)Dehuey

4)cost me a grand total of $26, and I can bang out large amounts no problem at all.
I have not seen my method anywhere on the internet,
This was made from OUTDOOR trim. No nugs. It was done in my living room. Not in a damn walk in freezer.

No carding.
No re-sifting.
No dry ice, a/c blasting in the house, no machines.

One drop, ~30 seconds at a time. I get this product, and a 2nd grade that is near as good as this, all without sacrificing yield or quality.

Everytime. No machines. No electricity. No vibrations, nothing.

5)no info

6)my method is cheap. It requires no machines and no expensive gadgets. You can make it at home

7)i'm using outdoor trim from a buddy. I didn't do it. I didn't use a hash strain, etc. etc.
will still do it when stuff is slightly wet

8)no info

9)no info

10)no info

11)no info

12) no info

13) no info

14)I can do this for less than 30 bucks in under a minute

15)You can separate trichs from leaf matter simply by TOUCHING It

16)no info

17)no info

18)no info

19)no info

20)no info

21)no info

22)no info

23)no info

24)no info

25)no info

26)no info

27)no info

28)no info

Sorry that took so long, I had to talk on the phone for a few minutes.

Now I'll think about what you have posted and get back to you.

OK I'll try to be more clear for you.

Cool thx a dillion

No, the purpose of breaking it up is to access the heads in the interior of the bud, the contaminants are a consequence of breaking it up, but not "on purpose".

So to summarize.. you know you're doing it.. yet do so anyways. Gotcha'.

Well, if you mean "remove" when you say sift, then the answer is yes. Sam does.

So do I. Why hasn't anyone else chimed in with something nice in the way of a scope shot with this method? If it's as good as b.man.. it's still not anywhere near 99.9%. Mine is. Sam probably has a better method than I do. I never said he didn't.

????????????? You must have a non-standard definition of the word usable. Or do you define usable as those heads that are recoverable by your method?

It has nothing to do with my method. The fact that you are purposely and knowingly/willingly breaking up contaminant and plant makes no sense. You're after the resin heads on the inside of the bud.. the ones that are so small that when you do recover them, are also falling through with said contaminants? This is why you cannot break up buds and sift it to that purity w/o a method like Sams. A box will never do so.

If all it works on is trim, not much.

It works on either. But that's not really the point.

How much is the tumble machine? I find it troubling that people are forking over what.. 200 bucks? More? Less? Didn't look.. to make that quality sift. Most of it doesn't even melt.

That's not cool. I have no interest in making money off of you. Just more surprised I guess.. that with all the people doing this.. nobody has really figured it out yet.

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
Haha had no idea an argument had stalemated. I'll offer my input: DSW you gotta figure there's probably 5,000,000 trichomes on a plant head to toe, 4,000,000 of those are in and on the nugs...Very good trim can get you very good hash but when you want a kief bowl and you got an 8th to grind for it...Bubbleman has the method. Start with as many trichomes as possible...micro-sticks and stems included...and get as many back as possible, absolutely pure.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I am very careful to not break up the raw material before i tumble it, buds or trim, I let the tumbler gently drop the trics so I can collect them, and clean them up...

Haha had no idea an argument had stalemated. I'll offer my input: DSW you gotta figure there's probably 5,000,000 trichomes on a plant head to toe, 4,000,000 of those are in and on the nugs...Very good trim can get you very good hash but when you want a kief bowl and you got an 8th to grind for it...Bubbleman has the method. Start with as many trichomes as possible...micro-sticks and stems included...and get as many back as possible, absolutely pure.

You can do that with my method as well, I am just not a fan of doing it. The problem is that more than likely the bud you bought to smoke isn't dry enough to break it up properly to get what you want out of it.

That's why I use a dehumidifier. Couple hours in a paper bag and that bud will poof quite nicely.. the longer you leave it, the better it'll be. Break it over my screen setup and it will give you what you want, and still better than the box.

I am just not an advocate of buying a sack to break it up into kif. If you want something to smoke either just make some from your leftovers or buy it. That's just me.

Also, a set of screens is less than 60 bucks. How much is that bubblebox? Nuff said.

Cheers.

Thx Leggend for keeping us inspired with your great work and great pics! Can't wait to start Dry Sifting my self, already so happy, with the set of your Bags, and your Ice extraction method!

Gubar1

Can 95% heads be achieved with outdoor that has sand particles visible to the naked eye? Is clean indoor buds or trim needed?

neongreen

Veteran
I've used an unused one inch wide paint brush and alcohol to clean screen frames...works just fine.

but also keep in mind that resin dries much slower than the plant material it's attached to.....so if you try to dry sift plant material that was harvested and dried a month or so ago, then you will clog up your dry sifting screens much faster (and yield less) than those who (correctly) dry sift plant material that has been stored for more than several months as the resin will not burst and smear on the mesh as easily. Although if the material is frozen and the dry sifting is done in a low temp/low humidity room then you can dry sift relatively recently dried material.

Will the resin dry enough if the buds are left in jars to cure? If not, what is the best way to dry out the resin? It's not really practical for me to leave harvested plants hanging up anywhere to dry for more than two or 3 of weeks.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Uhh.. i'm confused. Who would introduce contaminants on purpose just to clean it? That's what you're doing when you break up buds in a grinder or by hand. You realize how tall a capitate stalk really is, man? We're talking tiny. And brittle. And i'm talking about TALL ones. When you start grinding up bud.. do you really think you're gonna be able to sift out all the miniscule items/fragments/etc. of stems and green you just created?

SURE I CAN EASY.

I doubt that. I can clean dirty sift as well. Probably not as good as Sam can. But the idea that nobody else can pull such a quality is curious to me. And 40 minutes?? Again, i'm doing this in 30 second increments if i'm doing it on a good day.. maybe 45 seconds if the product is incredible. How can people think MINUTES are required to separate MICROSCOPIC particles that are either frozen/dried on purpose to be EASIER to remove? Isn't that being somewhat backwards?

SURE IT IS, BUT I CAN USE MANICURED BUD AS A STARTING MATERIAL AND GET PILES OF CLEAN HEADS TO CLEAN A LITTLE MORE SO IT IS FMCD.
I CAN START WITH MANICURED BUDS, OR SHAKE AND DO WHAT YOU DO TO IT, BUT A KG AT A TIME INSTEAD OF A HANDFULL OF SHAKE.

There is more usable resin on leaf than in buds, as again, in order to get to those in the buds means destroying a lot of plant matter along with it, as evidenced by this thread.

WHERE DOES SHAKE COME FROM? DESTROYING PLANT MATTER...
SOMEONE HAD TO MANICURE TO MAKE THE SHAKE, YOU OR SOMEONE. I DO NOT HAVE TO MANICURE, BUT IF DONE OF COURSE IT YIELDS A CLEANER RESIN THEN WHOLE PLANTS.
AS FOR MORE RESIN IN LEAVES THEN BUDS, WELL THAT IS NOT TRUE FOR SKUNK #1, THE FLOWERS ARE WAY MORE THEN THE LEAVES AND THE RESIN IS WAY WAY MORE FROM THE FLOWERS VS THE RESIN FROM LEAVES, I DID THE SEPERATIONS. NAYBE YOU HAVE A REALLY LEAFY RESINOUS VARIETY THAT YOU GROW FOR LEAFY RESIN, BUT I LIKE HIGH FLOWER TO LEAF RATIOS, NOT HIGH LEAF TO FLOWER RATIOS.
-SamS

And what's up with the yield from the machine? 1.6g? Really?

I'm getting that per 30 seconds almost. Over and over and over. No carding, refining, anything. Those shots I posted hadn't been touched after the first run. I can make it better. No need, really. It's already done.

$26. Wonder what I could sell it for.. hmmm... except i'm not here to get rich off of anyone.

Never sold any 99.9% but I have given away Kg's in my pipe's sharing with thousands over the years...

-SamS

Yeah you can do whole buds with my method as well, i'm just not a fan of it.

Sam, how do you separate/differentiate between sessile stalked trichomes and capitate stalked if you're grinding up entire plants?

Isn't that basically impossible?

That's another reason I am not a fan of doing it the way you are.

Also, what are the black specs in your pictures of resin? I was told by a botanist that's basically complete breakdown/degradation.

?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I can separate sessile stalked trichomes and capitate stalked easy.

Show me which picture?

-SamS

Sam, how do you separate/differentiate between sessile stalked trichomes and capitate stalked if you're grinding up entire plants?

Also, what are the black specs in your pictures of resin? I was told by a botanist that's basically complete breakdown/degradation.

?

Never sold any 99.9% but I have given away Kg's in my pipe's sharing with thousands over the years...

-SamS

Bless Ya bruddah. At the 2013 Cannabis Cup in San Bernadino, I was blessed with a full bowl of what I believe was FMCD dry sift made and stoked by the artisan Frenchy himself. I will eternally remember that blessed moment. One can easily make a strangers day, week, or even year via sharing sacredly artisan-crafted, ancient technique of dry sift FMCD.

Much thanks, love and blessings from my fractal-temple-conduit-spirit-seed to yours.

SoulSynergySoil

?
The separation of capitate stalked and capitate sessile trichome heads seems to be a rather simple process according to this excerpt from "Marijuana Botany" written by Robert Connell Clarke:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_aK7dTNS1qkC&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq=micrometre+capitate+stalked+vs+capitate+sessile&source=bl&ots=A-JhDy82E1&sig=xN3iIYZWjcMtZVqpTlOI9VADZls&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SV6fUuOQDMfHiwK_hIDYBg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=micrometre%20capitate%20stalked%20vs%20capitate%20sessile&f=false

Capitate sessile trichome heads typically range in the size of "40-60 microns in diameter" whereas capitate stalked trichome heads typically range in the size of 60-120 microns. Deliberately, thoroughly, carefully, and intently sift keif over a ~70 micron screen to separate capitate stalked from capitate sessile trichome heads and obtain a more pure keif. This sifting can be done via pressurized water of a pump sprayer and bubble bags, vibration/movement and silk screen frames, etc.

This is how I've purified my FMCD in the past, I will post pictures when I'm settled at home.

Much love and blessings to one and all,

SoulSynergySoil

stikypete

Is Sam using a gold panning motion (circular motion) to separate stalks and heads? any updates form anybody on getting this magic step #3 down. I don't think it involves carding or does it? the fact he does it so quick is deff a different method then carding screens.

Latest posts

Latest posts