What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

30amp 240v----> 2 15 amp 120v

hey guys...i have an unused 30amp dryer receptical available. i was wondering if i could run 2 12 gauge wires to each hot leg of the 240v and make two separate 120v outlets. each outlet will only run a 1000watt ballast and a fan.

my questions:

is this ok to do ???

would i need to remove the old 30amp breaker and install 2 separate 20 amp breakers?

i thought i could just get a light box and run everything off the dryer receptical but unfortunately i cant swap out my 120v ballasts for 240 v ballasts and i refuse to buy new ones as these are only a couple of months old.

David762

I'm assuming you're in USA,

I'm assuming you're in USA,

with 3 large flat-prong sockets in a Y pattern, so that is actually 240 VAC 60 Hz 2-phase, and between any 2 "legs" of the circuit it's actually 208 VAC and a "floating" return circuit instead of an "earth" ground.

To do this properly, you need to go back to the breaker box and replace the 240 VAC 30 Amp breaker with two 120 VAC 15 Amp breakers (30A / 2 = 2 x 15A), presuming the household load is otherwise fully utilized. If not, or you have a light energy "footprint" you could use 120 VAC 20A breakers. You will need to run no smaller than 12 gage 3 wire romex for those 20A circuits, or 14 gage 3 wire for 15A -- DO NOT forget the earth ground wire(s) from the breaker box to the new outlets! The grounds are generally all tied together behind the breakers, and to earth ground.

You could do this yourself, but since you have asked here, I would recommend calling in a professional electrician instead.

hey guys...i have an unused 30amp dryer receptical available. i was wondering if i could run 2 12 gauge wires to each hot leg of the 240v and make two separate 120v outlets. each outlet will only run a 1000watt ballast and a fan.

my questions:

is this ok to do ???

would i need to remove the old 30amp breaker and install 2 separate 20 amp breakers?

i thought i could just get a light box and run everything off the dryer receptical but unfortunately i cant swap out my 120v ballasts for 240 v ballasts and i refuse to buy new ones as these are only a couple of months old.

actually....looking into what PK said, if its just a matter of switchin cords im just going to get a plug n play light controller and go from there. no reason to risk biting off moe than i can chew. at this point my only concern is making sure its just a swapping of the cords as opposed to doing something internally to the ballast in whcih case i'll be back to square one...

thanx for the reply guys

David762

Your ballast is switchable if there are 2 power cord sockets.

Your ballast is switchable if there are 2 power cord sockets.

Some are not, or are not internally switchable. Many ballasts that are rated for 120 VAC or 240 VAC are specifically Single Phase, not Two Phase.

I found that out the hard way when I tried to run a 240 VAC (1 phase) welder from a dryer outlet. The local power company actually has to run 240 VAC separately from the nearest transformer at the street to a separate 240 VAC breaker box at the house. That takes involvement with the power company AND a certified electrician.

actually....looking into what PK said, if its just a matter of switchin cords im just going to get a plug n play light controller and go from there. no reason to risk biting off moe than i can chew. at this point my only concern is making sure its just a swapping of the cords as opposed to doing something internally to the ballast in whcih case i'll be back to square one...

thanx for the reply guys

cheeched

Most if not all homes are equipped/wired from the utility co. transformer with 1-phase 120/240v sys..
So no, you don't need to contact the power co...I do recommend a certified electrician, if you have absolutely no idea wtf you're doing..
And yes, swap out the 30amp with 2 single pole 20a breakers..Why cut yourself short by installing 15 amp breaker with 12gauge(20a rated wire)..Just don't use more than 80% of the 20amp circuit..

Last edited:

mdk ktm

yeah id say getting a 240 power cord would be your best bet. And then you would draw less amps, and could run more lights... I have never had a lumatek though.