What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats the longest you've reprocessed your perlite?

T

tokinafaty420

Do you grow in straight perlite?

I never have so I cannot imagine digging through potting soil to retrieve the stuff.

T

tokinafaty420

Just want to say anyone else who is thinking of using nothing but perlite to watch out for the big brand bags. I noticed that they are starting to include their salt based ferts in with the perlite itself now. Makes absolutely no sense considering most people would couple it with the same brand of soil, which in most cases contains even more of those salt based ferts. Talk about setting people up to burn their house plants. If you think MJ can be a bit touchy you should see what else people like to keep in their households. MJ has a cast iron stomache compared to many other plants.

T

tonto

I use a hopper to separate the roots (think metal net) and then boil the perlite at least 5 minutes to kill microbes and rinse. Perlite better than the new stuff.

thanks, is there any salt build up, ph problems or yield change as you reuse it?

_Dude

LOL, ride it till the wheels fall off mate. I'm going to be switching to perlite soon and I didn't even know you could reuse it. So thanks. :)

CaptainTrips

Just want to say anyone else who is thinking of using nothing but perlite to watch out for the big brand bags. I noticed that they are starting to include their salt based ferts in with the perlite itself now. Makes absolutely no sense considering most people would couple it with the same brand of soil, which in most cases contains even more of those salt based ferts. Talk about setting people up to burn their house plants. If you think MJ can be a bit touchy you should see what else people like to keep in their households. MJ has a cast iron stomache compared to many other plants.

Yeah, ive notice miracle grow perlite is nuted! Are other companys doing this? Been a while since ive bought perlite since i don't use much, I bought the huge green bag from home depot last time.

straight perlite rocks! been using this mix for a little over 18mos with no pH/nute/microbe problems. Before that i went 21 mos with a different mix again no problems. This stuff makes your roots EXPLODE with growth. There is a huge amount of surface area on 1 grain of perlite. This holds tons of air and to a lesser degree water. With ample watering you will see root growth at an unthinkable rate. Supercharge your perlite by adding mycorrhizae and see uncanny root growth! The only downsides to perlite are the fact that it floats, if allowed to get too wet the white color can cause green algae to grow, and the fact the the dust is VERY harmful to your lungs. Please use a breathing mask when rinsing perlite or opening the bag for the 1st time.
I wouldnt/dont worry about using miraclegro brand perlite, the added nutes are very small:

Total N 0.04%
0.016% ammonia N
0.024% nitrate
available phosphate 0.01%
souble potash 0.06%

this is right off there bag

Latest posts

Latest posts