What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Demographics, Gender and The War for Legalization

dddownlowww

Grim's description of his Ayahuasca trip is all the deterrent I'll ever need. It is a fascinating history. Did you know that Heroin is a brand name? Bayer Heroin. Our country is crazy.

Since George Will is writing about legalization, does that mean other non-brainless conservatives are allowed to endorse it? I hope so.

Cymbaline

Thanks, fatigues - well done.

Something else to ponder - those boomers who tried back in the 60's - as they start to retire and don't have to worry about keeping their jobs are going to start to wax nostalgic. An ache in the bones, some extra time on their hands, maybe a little puff would do the trick - and they're not going to want to try to find the local source - they will want it delivered!

The waiting is the hardest part....

Herbasaurus

ICMag Donor
Always interesting that so-called "conservatives" rant on about gov't interference in their lives and businesses but consistently want the gov't to interfere in everyone else's sex and lifestyle choices.

j6p

I think the path of least resistance on this is to defer to the States and rechedule MJ off of Schedule 1 by an administrative order. Politically, it's the easiest and safest path and it can be sold to Republicans in the South as a means of "protecting" their populations from legalization at the hands of the liberal states.
This is the way I see it happening as well. Removing Cannabis from US Schedule I for medical reasons would be most politically expedient, since "medical" would minimize conflicts with the Single Convention treaty, and would also accommodate the state MMJ laws. Then with MJ off of US Schedule I, states could choose to legalize MJ and/or grow hemp, with low risk of federal pressure.

The demographics ring true; thanks for posting this.

phrike

And I can tell you, he sure as HELL didn't see the 12 point jump in support from women coming. Nobody saw that coming. It may well be that the reason nobody saw it is that it isn't true: we may be seeing a rogue poll when it comes to gender and Gallup's 2009 data.

I tend to think it's mostly a real poll, and that there is something else at work. What, I'm not sure yet. I'm all ears folks.

I will speculate that the female tendency to be caregivers, and to be more compassionate is at work here. Now that many states have MMJ programs, women may be seeing MJ for the medicine it can be. Almost nobody sees alcohol that way, except perhaps up to one drink a day for mild stress relief.

And how many older women in particular are seeing their husbands and friends suffering from painful and terminal diseases such as cancer ? And how many might be realizing how MMJ is a compassionate treatment option ?

Perhaps compassion also comes into play when women see otherwise law abiding sons, grandsons etc. have their lives turned upside down for mere MJ possession...

Yes I'm now thinking/hoping that the end of MJ prohibition is in sight, and may happen faster than expected. I think once it ends in the US, it will end most everywhere in the world in short order.

G

grasspass

One factor I didn't read about , is that senior aged people are more likely to vote, compared to younger people.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I'm a Boomer and I smoke and inhale too. I've been doing it since the sixties. I know a lot of people between 50 and 70 that smoke most of them grow too:smokeit:, why does everyone think the generation that sorta started the whole thing would ever stop smoking. I bet there's plenty of old closet smokers out there too. :smoweed: Oh yeah we vote to as should all of you.

Last edited:

fatigues

Veteran
One factor I didn't read about , is that senior aged people are more likely to vote, compared to younger people.

Well, it's there! It's in my second post in the thread.

So the advancing demographics in the age graph assist us in three ways:

1) the people who have the least experience with marijuana -- and are the most opposed to it right now - seniors - are dying. Their opposition to legalization of marijuana ends;

2) dying seniors are in turn replaced by aging baby boomers, starting in two years time as they turn 65. Those people have experienced marijuana in far greater numbers in their youth (you know Woodstock - the 60s?) and are as a group far more supportive of legalization. They are also, as seniors, the demographic that is most likely to vote, so politicians pay far closer attention to them; and,

3) - the people streaming IN to that line who are now in the early and mid-teens are also trying marijuana in significantly large numbers.
Interestingly, the gender divide in a conglomeration of recent polling results in Cali is mirroring the gender gap based upon prior experience with Marijuana.

Men 54% Yes (53% with prior MJ experience)
Women 44% Yes (42% with prior MJ experience)

This would seem to suggest that the gender gap that Gallup indicates "vanished" remains real.

Of course, this does not take into account the so-called 9% undecided -- which I believe will break 2 for 1 for Yes. Most aren't undecided, they just don't want to say. It doesn't mean the same thing. Those who are inclined to keep their opinions to themselves on this matter are more likely to vote yes than no.

For the record, I do predict a Yes win in two weeks, with 53.5% voting yes.

And then the national hand wringing will begin. That hand-wringing and drug warrior blowback is a gift that keeps on giving to everyone outside of California, indeed, even those outside of the USA.

The issue will stay on the front page for YEARS to come. It's a battle that goes to those with a longterm view.:dance013:

When the constitution of the State is amended, there is nobody to bargain with. It's done. This will be the subject of court challenges and more headline news for years. PERFECT. Couldn't realistically ask for better.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
2) dying seniors are in turn replaced by aging baby boomers, starting in two years time as they turn 65. Those people have experienced marijuana in far greater numbers in their youth (you know Woodstock - the 60s?) and are as a group far more supportive of legalization. They are also, as seniors, the demographic that is most likely to vote, so politicians pay far closer attention to them; and,

Amazing it took a WHOLE generation to get the Baby boomer's to vote in Marijuana legalization... Well lets hope come polling time. But i myself predict this will win by a 60 percent plus for yes on prop 19. my initial guess is 67.7 percent

Lets see how presumptuous we are hehe

SCF

fatigues

Veteran
A little Threadnomancy here.

As of 7 minutes ago, the Parliament of Canada just passed Bill C-45, otherwise known as The Cannabis Act, legalizing recreational cannabis in every part of Canada.

This result was predicted by the numbers nearly ten years ago.

The numbers are also in favor nationally in the United States after the Presidential election in 2020 or 2024.

There are many people here on ICM who will celebrate that; others still who will not. Whatever the case, that Train is coming. Get your plans together.

jus'plain'gill

A little Threadnomancy here.

As of 7 minutes ago, the Parliament of Canada just passed Bill C-45, otherwise known as The Cannabis Act, legalizing recreational cannabis in every part of Canada.

This result was predicted by the numbers nearly ten years ago.

The numbers are also in favor nationally in the United States after the Presidential election in 2020 or 2024.

There are many people here on ICM who will celebrate that; others still who will not. Whatever the case, that Train is coming. Get your plans together.

The numbers don't lie. Great thread, 9 years in the making.

.jpg

Easy7

Veteran
On this site legalization is a problem for people who invested their entire adult lives on weed amd have no hope of going legit. They made a living on illegal weed, yet not enough to retire.

I lost more money than I ever came close to making off of weed. Thousands! Once a custi always a custi

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like old people for the most part but this pot thing is just sad with them. They got brain washed at a early age so there is that for an excuse.

Do not want to see them die but these stupid ideas need to die like right now.