What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DECARBED OIL NOT TURNING TO LIQUID - HARDENING WHEN COOL

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Hey peeps, hope all is well. So i had a bunch of left over stems and bud I had kiefed out using dry ice, and i wanted to see if I could get anything else out of it to make edibles. Basically let it soak in iso for probably over a week. I honestly forgot I had done it.

Anyways, I purged most of the alcohol out in a pyrex dish over a boiling pot of water, they proceeded to start decarbing some of it to make gummy bears. I put about 20 grams or so and around 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a glass jar, then in a bath of oil that ran between 250-260 for probably like 20 or so minutes. As I was stirring i noticed a lot of still most sludgy oil collecting at the bottom of the jar, and once the c02 bubbles stopped I removed the jar and let it cool.

Once it cooled down after a few minutes, there was like a solid layer of really hard oil(or something else) at the bottom of the jar. Never had this happen before. I am assuming it was something to do with the oil I used, I have never done that method before.

Anyone have any insights on this? These are just dummies for myself. I like taking them at bed time, really helps me get a solid sleep.

Thanks in advance!

aod

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
You probably have a lot of plant matter to oil because of the starting material.

If you winterize and filter well it might help.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Durrrr - did not even think of that. Will get that redissolved and thrown in the freezer tonight.

Thanks, Chunky!

aod

White Beard

Was it sludgy and full of plant matter when you added the oil, or did you filter it?

2 TBSP doesn’t sound like near enough for what (I think) you’re trying to do. When adding scavenged goods to butter, lecithin is pretty much essential or what you describe will happen. Happened to me. Try it. Come from soy and another plant. Get the other, not the soy.

Are you going to remove the MCT oil from the goo before you winterize it?
The winterizing MAY be affected by *actual* oil in the process.

(never really understood why some refer to concentrates as oil...on its own, this is like the least oil-like stuff I know of)

Anyway, hope this is useful

gr866

Veteran
This is what I am using as an emulsifying agent.

Now Sunflower Liquid Lecithin

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Iso... :(

Yes, the previous posters are correct, your long soak has pulled waxes and plant matter along with the good stuff. Re-dissolve in alcohol (please use ethanol this time, it'll remove at least a bit of the iso) and then winterize. You'll have a MUCH cleaner product to work with. :)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey peeps, hope all is well. So i had a bunch of left over stems and bud I had kiefed out using dry ice, and i wanted to see if I could get anything else out of it to make edibles. Basically let it soak in iso for probably over a week. I honestly forgot I had done it.

Anyways, I purged most of the alcohol out in a pyrex dish over a boiling pot of water, they proceeded to start decarbing some of it to make gummy bears. I put about 20 grams or so and around 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a glass jar, then in a bath of oil that ran between 250-260 for probably like 20 or so minutes. As I was stirring i noticed a lot of still most sludgy oil collecting at the bottom of the jar, and once the c02 bubbles stopped I removed the jar and let it cool.

Once it cooled down after a few minutes, there was like a solid layer of really hard oil(or something else) at the bottom of the jar. Never had this happen before. I am assuming it was something to do with the oil I used, I have never done that method before.

Anyone have any insights on this? These are just dummies for myself. I like taking them at bed time, really helps me get a solid sleep.

Thanks in advance!

aod

ISO is polar, but not by much at a dielectric index of 17.5, so take a look at the longer chain, higher boiling point constituents, that can be extracted with long soaks in isopropanol.

The decarboxylated cannabionoids are about C-22 and are liquid after decarboxylation to lose the COOH group.

b-Carotene is C-40, and both Chlorophyll and Pheophytin are C-55, so their melt points are significantly higher.

As noted, there is also an admix of plant waxes involved, which a long soak in Iso will also extract.

Sooooo, as also noted, redissolving it in hot ethanol at around a 10:1 ratio, and then winterizing the solution to see what is good and what precipitates and filters out, would be my best suggestion.

Check out QWISO and QWET to minimize extracting the longer chain molecules in the first place.