What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

People who live in areas that have legalized medical and adult recreational use...

M

moose eater

Thanks everyone for these great response, I am grateful. But I was mainly wondering if local LEO ramped up enforcement of other minor infractions, that before legalization they simply ignored, so as to make up the shortfall in revenue that they no longer receive from the fining and prosecution of cannabis?

As stated near the bottom of my first reply, the Police here (Troopers and local) have for a long time tended to pigeon-hole certain vehicles, etc., and find ways to justify a stop for the purpose of what they refer to as pro-active policing.

Some of this has been tapered, or taken a step back, often as a matter of threats or reality of being taken to task. But they were engaging in this LONG ago, whether weed was legal, decrimmed, etc.

I'd give specific examples of embellished reasons for 'justified' stops, but it would be another half-page.

I'll add that a higher ranking officer in the State-wide Major Crimes unit boasted to me well over 20 years ago, that he could find a legit reason to pull any vehicle he desired. We knew each other socially for other reasons. I replied, "then what you're saying is that the 4th amendment is moot, by virtue of precedent and regulation. How does it make you feel to know the oath you swore has been turned into (silly putty)?"

So no, I haven't noted any increased efforts to enforce minor issues. They were already (selectively) doing that.. long ago.

X

xavier7995

My first car was a big Toyota space van, i had either long hair or some short weird colored hair and a big system that i always cranked way up. Got pulled over weekly. Every single time they would haul me out to search the car claiming it smelled of cannabis. Kids in polo shirts and old ford taurus' didnt get hassled, lesson learned.

...and now my middle aged ass wants my crappy old van so bad. Mine got bequeathed to some hippies headed to California, hope its still out there cruising around getting pulled over. Enjoy them subwoofers dudes.

Edit: i would imagine small towns still suck and they are probably trying to make up that lost revenue. Its why i stick to interstates when driving. They have always hassled out of town folks though so i dont see it as a real increase.

EsterEssence

Veteran
In Cali where I live people moved here to grow, and went totally nuts with the amount and size of greenhouses, thousands of plants, on the 5th of June they came in military style with 700 cops and all kinds of swat vehicles set up there command center at the high school, a so called drug free zone, and busted 118 places. In my opinion both sides went way to far. The people who moved here just to grow took advantage of our valley, and the cops going crazy, making it difficult for small mom and pop organic grows. So to put it mildly it is a total CLUSTERFUCK...

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
In Cali where I live people moved here to grow, and went totally nuts with the amount and size of greenhouses, thousands of plants, on the 5th of June they came in military style with 700 cops and all kinds of swat vehicles set up there command center at the high school, a so called drug free zone, and busted 118 places. In my opinion both sides went way to far. The people who moved here just to grow took advantage of our valley, and the cops going crazy, making it difficult for small mom and pop organic grows. So to put it mildly it is a total CLUSTERFUCK...
That right there is the story!

thailer

Thanks everyone for these great response, I am grateful. But I was mainly wondering if local LEO ramped up enforcement of other minor infractions, that before legalization they simply ignored, so as to make up the shortfall in revenue that they no longer receive from the fining and prosecution of cannabis?

a good chunk of the revenue from the tax on the sale of cannabis goes back to the LEO for programs like drug education and i think it funds stuff like drug court which is more for people who are addicted to hard drugs. i don't think they're losing any money but probably getting more now.

CaptainDankness

I'd say no, even before they decriminalized in my state the cops were targeting meth and heroin more than anything else. I live in a small town and our cops seem to only harass tweakers and junkies so I stay away from them. I see the chief in town he says "hi" to me.

As long as you don't look like a junky and don't cause any problems, you should be fine. Kind of helps to be a little friendly too, a cop will never fuck with you if he likes you. Of course, I was growing weed before any laws changed and got away with it, maybe white privilege? :laughing: