What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The War of 2020: the upcoming elections

Cannavore

Veteran
Neo-Liberalism mean everything for business including government ownership and fuck everyone else.

Neo-Liberalism means the economy is way too complex for mere humans to control. Only a free unregulated market can do what's right.

I wouldn't call it true government ownership. They use the government to form monopolies and oligopolies for private wealth and to exempt new competition.

The main points of neo-liberalism include:

THE RULE OF THE MARKET. Liberating "free" enterprise or private enterprise from any bonds imposed by the government (the state) no matter how much social damage this causes. Greater openness to international trade and investment, as in NAFTA. Reduce wages by de-unionizing workers and eliminating workers' rights that had been won over many years of struggle. No more price controls. All in all, total freedom of movement for capital, goods and services. To convince us this is good for us, they say "an unregulated market is the best way to increase economic growth, which will ultimately benefit everyone." It's like Reagan's "supply-side" and "trickle-down" economics -- but somehow the wealth didn't trickle down very much.

CUTTING PUBLIC EXPENDITURE FOR SOCIAL SERVICES like education and health care. REDUCING THE SAFETY-NET FOR THE POOR, and even maintenance of roads, bridges, water supply -- again in the name of reducing government's role. Of course, they don't oppose government subsidies and tax benefits for business.

DEREGULATION. Reduce government regulation of everything that could diminsh profits, including protecting the environment and safety on the job.

PRIVATIZATION. Sell state-owned enterprises, goods and services to private investors. This includes banks, key industries, railroads, toll highways, electricity, schools, hospitals and even fresh water. Although usually done in the name of greater efficiency, which is often needed, privatization has mainly had the effect of concentrating wealth even more in a few hands and making the public pay even more for its needs.

ELIMINATING THE CONCEPT OF "THE PUBLIC GOOD" or "COMMUNITY" and replacing it with "individual responsibility." Pressuring the poorest people in a society to find solutions to their lack of health care, education and social security all by themselves -- then blaming them, if they fail, as "lazy."

^^ That was written in 1997 ^^
From this - https://corpwatch.org/article/what-neoliberalism

'Boogieman'

Water turns purple overnight in Ohio town
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/water-turns-purple-overnight-in-ohio-town

"Once it's diluted out, it's not dangerous at all," said Stephen Burchett, Water Treatment Plant Operator.

LMAO what exactly do you dilute water with? More water?

"The water treatment plant said the vibrant purple color was caused by a pump malfunction, and occurred when too much sodium permanganted the water."

A pump inside the water treatment plant malfunctioned, this was not caused from the business sector operating in Ohio. I'm sure they fixed the pump, are you against water treatment? I'm glad I have a well because I don't trust what the government puts on our water.

Cannavore

Veteran
the point is places like ohio and michigan are underfunded when it comes to infrastructure, education, ect. this includes maintinence and having top of the line equipment (ie water pumps) because our corporatist government cuts these things in favor of giving permanent tax breaks to the richest people in the country.

'Boogieman'

the point is places like ohio and michigan are underfunded when it comes to infrastructure, education, ect. this includes maintinence and having top of the line equipment (ie water pumps) because our corporatist government cuts these things in favor of giving permanent tax breaks to the richest people in the country.

I'm all for improving our infrastructure. The government is collecting more federal taxes despite the tax breaks. Congress needs to work together on the issue as both parties want to improve infrastructure.

White Beard

My water is clean and the air I breath is fine. It would make sense to me if we focused on China's pollution or the plastics in the ocean. Again as a libertarian I believe in minimizing the government and stopping overregulation of the business sector.

“I’m fine so fuck y’all”, eh?

Sorry, the opinions of someone who’s paid NO attention to US politics or policy or elections until we got in this mess are worth nothing. Your “status” as a libertarian means nothing because you’ve never voted for a libertarian and you’ve never read a book on the topic. What you pick up from whoever you DO listen to is similarly worthless because they plainly don’t know more than you.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Republicans are very well known for loving the environment and are always trying to fund environmental health concerns.

And Klondike bars are gross.

And I don't want to bang Charlize Theron.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm all for improving our infrastructure. The government is collecting more federal taxes despite the tax breaks. Congress needs to work together on the issue as both parties want to improve infrastructure.

You mean McConnell needs to stop blocking Congress' bills right?

What a useless piece of shit.

G

Sorry, the opinions of someone who’s paid NO attention to US politics or policy or elections until we got in this mess are worth nothing. Your “status” as a libertarian means nothing because you’ve never voted for a libertarian and you’ve never read a book on the topic. What you pick up from whoever you DO listen to is similarly worthless because they plainly don’t know more than you.
Go back and read your very first post in this "topic" about slinging. Pot meet kettle. I do get a kick out of occasionally reading this type of silliness for about 5 minutes once in a while while Im taking a bernie.

'Boogieman'

You sound like a mad old man, I suggest smoking some sativa to get your mind right. All you have is insults and your opinion is just that, an opinion.

'Boogieman'

You mean McConnell needs to stop blocking Congress' bills right?

What a useless piece of shit.

He is blocking left wing policies coming from the house, show me where he blocked infrastructure bills. Nancy could learn to negotiate with Trump but she is not interested in that, she would rather feed the base with anti trump nonsense.

Cannavore

Veteran
He is blocking left wing policies coming from the house, show me where he blocked infrastructure bills. Nancy could learn to negotiate with Trump but she is not interested in that, she would rather feed the base with anti trump nonsense.

Trump's infrastructure plan was to privatize public infrastructure by selling it off to Goldman Sachs lol only an idiot would agree to that.

'Boogieman'

If he lets the coming series of anti foreign interference bills happen I'll eat crow.

While I don't believe the Russians had much influence (I believe everyone had their mind made up regarding Trump vs Clinton), I agree any influence is not good so I'm hoping he allows the bill a vote. I'm not really a Mitch McConnell fan I see him as a Rhino who needs to go.

White Beard

You sound like a mad old man, I suggest smoking some sativa to get your mind right. All you have is insults and your opinion is just that, an opinion.

Look, you know me as well as you know politics and policy - which is to say, not at all. Pretend a fact is an insult all you like, it won’t fix what you don’t know.

As for the ‘everybody has one’ train of thought: anyone with knowledge or experience of anything has a better opinion than anyone who never thought about it before. Or do you seek ignorant opinions when you want help with a situation? If you’re smart, you’ll ask someone who KNOWS what they’re talking about, not just some jerkoff with ‘an opinion’. Probably how you came to hang out here: there are experienced folks here with opinions grounded in reality.

You already know this, but somehow keeping the nation afloat is exempt from the need to have been watching for more than a minute?

UPDATE: so Mitch McConnell is a RINO??? You prove my point fabulously....

CaptainDankness

Those who care about the enviroment have spent years attempting to regulate and improve the errors of the industrial age. Not that shit stain orange and friends care.

If you don't like clean air and water that is fine by me. But if you approve of fucking with the air and water I plan on using (the stuff from earth) please leave. Go somewhere where smog and carcinogens are fun and let the people who want to breath alone.

Thanks.
I mean if you choose to live in LA you're going to have to deal with smog. Of course that state has been run down by Democrats......

The air and water is clean in New England. :biggrin: I don't really think global warming is going to be as bad as everyone makes it out to be though. Not to mention Al Gore said NYC would be underwater some time ago and sea level still hasn't really risen.

CaptainDankness

Libertarians believe that a magical sky daddy known as the 'Invisible Hand' will take care of the environment. Literally nobody is worse on environmental issues than Libertarians. At least the Republicans give it lip service instead of pretending that it'll be fixed with fairy dust.

Libertarians refuse to admit that money is power. The unaccountable accumulation of money is the unaccountable accumulation of power.

The only way you can be a Libertarian is by denying this obvious truth.

I don't believe in God. I believe in General George Washington. :biggrin:

If you are worried about the environment, don't drive a car.

Money is money, a great man once said " there is no such thing as good money or bad money just money" Charlie "Lucky" Luciano. :tiphat:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
crypto_cartoon.jpg

X

xavier7995

Trumps not much of a negotiator though. If people dont bow to his demands he walks. That works when you are dicking over contractors, but not so much when both parties are on equal footing. Last time they met wasnt it trump that threw a fit and walked out...arguably as a move to excite his base. Alternatively, there was the time chuck n nancy did work with him back in 2017 only to have trump switch gears and pull back once fox n friends yelled at him.