What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarb before which step?

zanog

1, Where do you decarb? After drying plant matter? After extraction? After rotovap right before short path? Why?

2, How do they decarb in industrial settings?

1. Unless extracting with CO2, most people decarb the crude extract after the solvent has been removed. So yes, after roto, before spd. Some people choose to use an oil suitable for decarb temps (120c) in their roto bath and decarb in there. A convection oven, stirring hot plate, or a jacketed reactor are also common. These 3 options also give you an easier time when devolatilizing your extract (140c ish solution temp for 5-10 min) prior to SPD.

Definitely do not decarb in the SPD.

2. When you say industrial, do you mean large scale cannabis processing? If so, we have played around with multiple different continuous flow methods for inline decarb/devol. A big tube in shell with steam is popular

zanog

1, So for me, decarbing in the rotovap right after recovery befor SPD would make the most sense, right?

Why CO2 extraction won't work on THC-a, just out of curiosity?

2, Yes, how do they decarb large amounts of plant matter quickly and efficiently?

1. Perhaps, but there are safety concerns when using oil in the roto bath

2. A big convection oven.

I'm not sure why CO2 needs to be ran with decarbed flower, not my specialty

zanog

I like to cook... so I try to handle oil how I should, I guess its just like cooking, if I can't be sure about glassware then maybe its a problem, I can make a guard of plexiglass.

Reactions: ost

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Sous Vide, and you decarb before you do your extraction. You'll want to read what Ringdoggie has posted on the subject. Great read, awesome info, unless you're more about wasting cannabis extract due to lower potency? :D

zanog

Sous Vide, and you decarb before you do your extraction. You'll want to read what Ringdoggie has posted on the subject. Great read, awesome info, unless you're more about wasting cannabis extract due to lower potency? :D
Oh that's easy, but how is that different from rotovaping ground weed in boiling water bath? Should be even better. How do I find the thread you mentioned?

Reactions: ost

Douglas.Curtis

Oh that's easy, but how is that different from rotovaping ground weed in boiling water bath? Should be even better.
Boiling ground weed in water? Is this even a thing? Did you want to preserve terpenes and use waaay less extract for dosing, or did you want lower quality extract like you find everywhere?

Sous Vide preserves the terpenes so they're extracted with the cannabinoids, the cannabis is NOT exposed to the water at all. Massive difference in potency. ;) (Search Sous Vide)

How do I find the thread you mentioned?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aicmag.com+Ringdoggie :) The onsite search function is not so great.
(Edit: the lmgtfy lin was not meant as a slight in any way. I was getting confusion from people when I asked them to search for "site:icmag.com Ringdoggie" I'll go back to the confusing method... damn people.)

zanog

Boiling ground weed in water? Is this even a thing? Did you want to preserve terpenes and use waaay less extract for dosing, or did you want lower quality extract like you find everywhere?

Sous Vide preserves the terpenes so they're extracted with the cannabinoids, the cannabis is NOT exposed to the water at all. Massive difference in potency. ;) (Search Sous Vide)

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aicmag.com+Ringdoggie :) The onsite search function is not so great.
The water bath of the rotovap, which is outside of the flask, just like the water in sous vide, outside the bag.

I cook meats in sous vide sometimes, its a sealed vacuum bag in a teperature controlled hot water bath, just like a rotovap, don't you think?

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

The water bath of the rotovap, which is outside of the flask, just like the water in sous vide, outside the bag.
You've already done the extraction, so no. Sous vide is done before the extraction. Like I said, look up and read everything on Ringdoggie since we're re-hashing the existing thread information.

Have any further questions, feel free to ask here or there. :tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you even know what a rotovap is?

Zanog and Future aren't talking about the wee kitchen extractions you do, you're in over your head and don't even know you're in the pool.

Douglas.Curtis

Yes, I'm well aware of what a rotovap is. **facepalm**

If they're doing scale like you suggest, they should easily have the skills to look up and use commercial equipment to do the same task the kitchen equipment does.

zanog

If they're doing scale like you suggest, they should easily have the skills to look up and use commercial equipment to do the same task the kitchen equipment does.
Read the whole thread it's only 2 pages, and you'll see the question was different, I just pointed out anything in sous vide could be done better in a rotovap, I mean in connection with cannabis. And if you have done sous vide, try it for food, it's really good, I used it for infusing butter too, a long time ago.

I'm looking for more scientific explanation for:
Why decarb at which step? There are many opinions, even in this thread and my "rotovap uses" thread.

zanog

And just to be clear: you were thinking I'm going to put weed in water and into a rotovap... sent me a presentation about how to google. I should be the one "facepalming", but no smiley by that name here, and also I'm not that kind of person.

Write the replies, smoke a joint, read again, think about it, and then post them, this is totally honest advice, I do the same, if not I usually regret it or edit multiple times.

Cvh

Supermod
THC is more soluble. :tiphat:

Is this correct? Is it better to decarb before extraction?

(I know you are an extraction maestro Troutman, I only ask for confirmation because I don't know a single thing about the subject.)

Latest posts

Latest posts