What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do YOU Consider CBN Rich (Comatose in 15min after toking) Cannabis 'Potent' Cannabis?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Decades long toker, long time poster here...

I grew up in prohibition land, and my choices of cannabis were usually "Headies" or "Couchlock." Since I already suffer from ADHD, autism and a few other quirks, I've always pursued the more functional "Headies" strains.

The "Couchlock" strains I remember were super stoney, definitely non-productive for me, but did not "Knock you out" 15min after toking.

The last what... 5-10 years? I've noticed a growing trend of people calling overripe, horribly CBN rich cannabis "really potent." I'm talking cannabis nobody can stay awake from after only 2-3 tokes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this kind of cannabis when I'm hurt, sick or reaaaally need to sleep immediately. I just prefer staying awake through life and experiencing my cannabis throughout the day.

What's the deal? Does anyone remember growing up with CBN rich sleepy weed as "the potent stuff" when you were a kid? Did this trend start somewhere specific? :tiphat:

Sunshineinabag

No in fact headies we're smoked at shows for an uplifting experience.....if I went to see Jerry and the boys and fell asleep 15 min into the first set I'd be really pissy!
Jerries berries for example....great headies cultivar back then

Cvh

Supermod
A few years ago I found some Amnesia Haze bud that I stored improperly in a baggie 7 years before.
I wanted to throw it away. I took it out of the baggie and it was brown, it also looked like that all the trichomes melted together in tiny dark brown droplets on the bud. I squeezed it and it smelled like hash. A very different smell then the typical sweet Amnesia Haze smell.

It looked like droplets of hash and smelled like hash so I smoked it. :biggrin:

I got hit with a heavy mind and body numbing sickly stoned unpleased (for me) feeling. I dragged myself to the couch and mere moments later I was K.O.

I didn't like it.

Douglas.Curtis

Indeed, music is better with cannabis you can stay awake on. lol :D

CVH, that's definitely heavy CBN from the degraded THC. lol :) Keep that junk around for the next time you're super sick and just need to rest. I remember that superflu going around 5-6 years ago or something. All over body aches for weeks. That's when I want the sleepy stuff. lol :)

festerous

Veteran
If you want couch lock you should try heroin.
If you want to get high and experience the universe you should find some real weed!

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Decades long toker, long time poster here...

I grew up in prohibition land, and my choices of cannabis were usually "Headies" or "Couchlock." Since I already suffer from ADHD, autism and a few other quirks, I've always pursued the more functional "Headies" strains.

The "Couchlock" strains I remember were super stoney, definitely non-productive for me, but did not "Knock you out" 15min after toking.

The last what... 5-10 years? I've noticed a growing trend of people calling overripe, horribly CBN rich cannabis "really potent." I'm talking cannabis nobody can stay awake from after only 2-3 tokes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this kind of cannabis when I'm hurt, sick or reaaaally need to sleep immediately. I just prefer staying awake through life and experiencing my cannabis throughout the day.

What's the deal? Does anyone remember growing up with CBN rich sleepy weed as "the potent stuff" when you were a kid? Did this trend start somewhere specific? :tiphat:

Can you show any test results for this "overripe, horribly CBN rich cannabis " you are describing?

I've looked at thousands of test results in the last 8-10 years, mostly from the emerald cup and other competitions, and never come across even one with high CBN numbers.

Douglas.Curtis

Can you show any test results for this "overripe, horribly CBN rich cannabis " you are describing?

I've looked at thousands of test results in the last 8-10 years, mostly from the emerald cup and other competitions, and never come across even one with high CBN numbers.
Nope, haven't seen any but I"m sure they exist. Can't see any reason competition growers would be entering cannabis like this. Can you?

Same effect with every late harvest plant I've seen with mass amber trichomes. Same effect from over decarbed cannabis, same effect from old, old (over decarbed again) cannabis.

I'm sure there are plenty of test results on these, just not from competition entries. ;)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Nope, haven't seen any but I"m sure they exist. Can't see any reason competition growers would be entering cannabis like this. Can you?

Same effect with every late harvest plant I've seen with mass amber trichomes. Same effect from over decarbed cannabis, same effect from old, old (over decarbed again) cannabis.

I'm sure there are plenty of test results on these, just not from competition entries. ;)

You're sure but can you show even one?

Over decarbed? Really? Thousands of edible tests on multiple sites, show me the over decarbed edibles high in CBN.

Drewsif

Cbn? Dispensary weed is definitely Progeriated through heat and chemical npk attacks,but I recently smoked dispo weed for the first time in years:

Most people are getting faded on nitrate toxicity. I could smell the neem and kushy impostor pinesol perfume haha, but the nutes slipped passed until it was too late.

Nitrate poisoning. You know, the stuff that kills cows out in the real world, but is a myth in fukushimaville? And the tests are cheaper than a thc test but no way to make money off that truth.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cbn? Dispensary weed is definitely Progeriated through heat and chemical npk attacks,but I recently smoked dispo weed for the first time in years:

Most people are getting faded on nitrate toxicity. I could smell the neem and kushy impostor pinesol perfume haha, but the nutes slipped passed until it was too late.

Nitrate poisoning. You know, the stuff that kills cows out in the real world, but is a myth in fukushimaville? And the tests are cheaper than a thc test but no way to make money off that truth.

Yep.....toxins.....all the more rationale to GYO.

Perhaps a decade ago it was when I decided that I was going to take a crop of wide leaf cultivars to the point of no return. All were 56 day type clones that I didn't even begin counting down with until they were well into flowering at around three weeks in, and I let everything go another ten weeks and the plants all were pretty much on deaths doorstep when I harvested everything with very amber heads. Long story short, I have to say it was the worst summer ever lol. Myself even with a excessively stupid tolerance found it all to be day wreck type of bud. I expected such with the Pre98 BK knowing that around day 70 it's capable of putting a hole in the face of the unexpected toker. Well everything that I harvested was simply lethargic and no longer enjoyed by the circles that all knew the cuts and the finished product well - including the Pre98 taken at 70 days in. It went another four weeks in senescence and it had the ability of putting us all into a comatose. Everything else too just wrecked the day and required a lot of caffeine to compensate for the drained feeling from the overly ripened plants.

On the contrary, I've grown some really fast flowering kush and a rarer diesel that simply knocked down everyone while averaging eight weeks with the rarer pheno giving you the narcotic effects in forty-nine days even though they were all lower yielding in general.

So I have experienced the same effects and I don't think you can get the later ripening effects mentioned above though unless the plants are really dialed in and allowed to finish their natural lifespan. Locking up a plant in the dark can't compare to the senescence of a healthy plants fading away. But hey, this is all speculative at best as well as subjective according to my own experiences.

I will also say that I am often disappointed by the typical average at best type of narcotic bud being pushed around and raved about. But then again I am not just looking for the knock out effects, I also want that deep muscle relaxation as well as the therapeutic values I find in the heaviest of types that help immensely with neuropathy. Not every heavy hitters got what it takes in this situation, as it seems like it is much more complex and related to the entourages.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
This is an interesting topic to me because of a *single* experience I had with a White Widow by Dinafem... Its flowers were the only flowers that ever made me consistently have to fight to stay awake, and then lose the battle every single time. Right around twenty or thirty minutes in I would be gone, no matter where or when I was. And to this day, that's what I think of when I think of the word "narcotic." I do wish I could keep a "narcotic" strain like that around at all times, but I definitely won't want that to be my regular medicine.

I don't know what the chemotype was or anything like that. But in over twenty five years of using cannabis, nothing has ever put me to sleep like that. Not even pharmaceutical narcotics. But definitely not anything from dispensaries, that's for sure.

I still need to know what the actual fuck was in that white widow? I was obliterated. I've never used that word before and felt like it was accurate, until right now. Obliterated.

Gry

In a real goofy state mentally, but swear I thought that there was supposed to be a 'v' used in the spelling of [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]obliterated[/FONT]. Am left feeling better educated for having read the previous post.

Douglas.Curtis

This is an interesting topic to me because of a *single* experience I had with a White Widow by Dinafem... Its flowers were the only flowers that ever made me consistently have to fight to stay awake, and then lose the battle every single time.
I have trim which does this every time. I had 3 plants donated last year with seeds, I harvested them late and it was all knock out cannabis. 10-20 minutes and (without mass caffeine) everyone goes to sleep.

xxPeacePipexx, You described the same effects I'm talking about, to a T.
On the contrary, I've grown some really fast flowering kush and a rarer diesel that simply knocked down everyone while averaging eight weeks with the rarer pheno giving you the narcotic effects in forty-nine days even though they were all lower yielding in general.
I'm guessing lab analysis would have revealed heavy CBN production from the get-go on those. :)

Im'One

I smoked in the late 70s every day and in all situations with no real knockout weed until my bro bought some Afghan. Somewhere around 1981 or so, weed started affecting me weird. I would not be able to do anything other than sit in the couch. I hated it because my mind would be racing with the millions of things I needed to do as a young dad. At the same time I began to notice weed made me hyperaware of any dry skin, the tag in my shirt, the tightness of my pants etc and so on???
I had a baby to take care of while wife works nights and I had to give her a ride to work since we only had one car.
I quit the weed.

Now I realize the strains were responsible. The kushage I bought when going back to smoking was like the late 80s weed.
I have since smoked sativa's that don't do all those weird things to me. When smoking a hybrid it does.
Indicas usually put me out. I take a bath and rub down with lotion and pass out.
I like island sweet skunk for pain relief and mix it with a heavy indica.

I smoke home grown Lebanese that knocks me on my ass if I want to party... No itching or wild thoughts just high. I have some cbd Lebanese that I can smoke during the day and work around home

'Boogieman'

This is an interesting topic to me because of a *single* experience I had with a White Widow by Dinafem... Its flowers were the only flowers that ever made me consistently have to fight to stay awake, and then lose the battle every single time. Right around twenty or thirty minutes in I would be gone, no matter where or when I was. And to this day, that's what I think of when I think of the word "narcotic." I do wish I could keep a "narcotic" strain like that around at all times, but I definitely won't want that to be my regular medicine.

I don't know what the chemotype was or anything like that. But in over twenty five years of using cannabis, nothing has ever put me to sleep like that. Not even pharmaceutical narcotics. But definitely not anything from dispensaries, that's for sure.

I still need to know what the actual fuck was in that white widow? I was obliterated. I've never used that word before and felt like it was accurate, until right now. Obliterated.

Really interesting, I grew blue widow outdoors from dinafem that did exactly the same thing. I may have to try their white widow because out of 20 bw seeds only 1 pheno was like this. How often was this pheno found?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!

Really interesting, I grew blue widow outdoors from dinafem that did exactly the same thing. I may have to try their white widow because out of 20 bw seeds only 1 pheno was like this. How often was this pheno found?
Being a "hybrid" sounds to me like those particular strain are leaning on the Indica side. I use Ww as a daytime strain as a "mood enhancer" (mons affect me tremendously) "perfect sense of contentment", full body relaxation along with a clear vice foggy or racy head.

X

xavier7995

Strange you mention it being white widow, i had a real odd experience where i would get an intense stomach ache after smoking WW from shops around Amsterdam the first time i went (2002 i think). Not sure if they all bought from the same wholesaler, but it was consistent the whole trip and only that variety. Weirded me out and put me off the strain until recently, been on a kick for dutch classics lately and want to give it a go growing in my own environment.

Anywho, ramble aside, no i dont think of that sort of weed as potent or desirable. Potent weed for me causes stuff to look a bit more shiny, food to taste better, sex more fun, etc. It increases perception rather than dull it. It makes mowing the grass entertaining and your mind wanders down interesting lines of thought.

I am still trying to figure out why i havent had weed induce the giggles in a long time, like 15 years or more.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I gotta tell you guys, it wasn't bad. That particular white widow was the absolute best, most guaranteed sleep medicine I've ever come across and I'd kill to get some more. Or, I suppose I could just buy some seeds. I might could do that.

But it was very strange to me. I have always been able to fight my way through the heaviest of indicas, yet when it came to this white widow I was obliterated and super duper strong Cuban coffee couldn't even penetrate it. I was out for the count. So I always knew there was something else going on with that one, in its chemotype. Looking back on it, it wouldn't surprise me to find out it was heavy in CBN.

And Boogieman, I don't know how common of a pheno it was, because this came from a single freebie seed that came along with an order from, I think, the Tude.

Latest posts

Latest posts