What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THAI STICKS

riddly

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know FOR SURE which are can be explored to find thai sticks seeds?

Would love to bring some back for my own personal reproduction.

Cheers!

riddly

i meant to say the areas in thailand to be explored in search of the thai sticks quality of grass (seeds not grass)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
something that resembles the original ,,
good luck with that ,
you know it was all but wiped out close on 40 years back ??

highly unlikely there are any seeds from that stuff left ,
repros wouldnt have done the originals much justice ,

best you could do is get some from seed sellers like real seed company ,
they would have to be some of the best and last left that are related to the old lines..

40 years is a long time ....

most of the cannabis in thailand now is compressed brick , not grown in thailand ...

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've always heard that the Thai sticks weren't really from Thailand.
It was mostly from Laos strains.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I've always heard that the Thai sticks weren't really from Thailand.
It was mostly from Laos strains.
another chap on the boards would agree with you ,
though fellows like sam skunkman that went to thailand during those years said some confusion came from shipments flown out from laos ,
but in fact they were grown and made in thailand ....

apparently laos never did much commercial weed ,
i dont see why they couldnt have though ...

ive grown some nice herb similar to the old thai from laos seed,
but it is right next door , so chances are things get shared ...

i also heard thailand couldnt produce enough to keep the massive customer base happy , and some was sourced out of country..

this is quite possible given the demand and the huge amount it would have taken to supply the whole world with thai sticks...

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Thai

Thai

I fondly remember scoring Thai sticks in my college days back in Hawaii. If memory serves me correct, they were selling for $50.00 a stick.

Fat sativa like buds, wrapped around sticks with nylon fishing cord. They smelled like wet carpet. Fairly stoney weed, but not as good as the Hawaiian weed I was smoking.

I still remember finding a few seeds from those sticks, and threw them away...... :wallbash:

Wish I had taken some pics, but in those days, cell phones with cameras didn't exist.

Any Thai sticks I ever saw up here in the Rockies, were all fugazi .

RMS

:smoweed:

Lrus007

Veteran
i have tried over 100 kinds of different thai seeds.
from seed places and thailand.
sadly it is gone. unless some old timer has a plant.
Lrus007

Lrus007

Veteran
had to dig for my list.
yes i tried some from that province.
i spent over 15 years searching or longer.
sadly i think it is gone.

dillycid

I must admit that I to am chasing that "two bong Thai High" that was available in the latter half of the 70's. Please don't tell me it's extinct in N.E. Thailand/Laos? This is a good read:
Thai Stick

Surfers, Scammers, and the Untold Story of the Marijuana Trade

Maguire, Peter

P.S. Thai Sticks never smelled like wet carpet and where never tied with fishing line. If memory serves, about $20 a Stick.

romanoweed

highly unlikely there are any seeds from that stuff left ,
repros wouldnt have done the originals much justice ,

But wouldnt Outcrossing of two or more Lines probably create that fresh Thai again? I ever heard that its rather no more the same. Had the opportunity to smoke supposed 30 year old Viet-Seed in 2000.. Yes and it was insane. I often hear from dissapointment from further generated Plants. So i assume its often gone. But what are you thinking then? is inbreeding leading to that loss, or rather loose open pollinations? any guess please?.

Or rather , might Landraces not just be inbred, and an important Factor is some Outcrossing in its Breedingpath..? Im saying the same again, Outcrossing might be an important part in Landracebreeding.

So that leafes us with a last Hope, that we can get the old Lines back from 1970 trough a last outcross, or multiples..

Still something stands out to my Eye: it is that modern gathered Thais look really Abit colorless, have a bader look in my eye. So im not shure if the Outcrossing Theory works for These new Thais.. BUT we maybe able to doo something with the remainging old lines.

I never heard Reports of someone dooing that besides exbuyable Ace s Double Thai. But i didnt like the Lines they used there really.. So..

We shoud definitly do Breeding Projects like the mentioned, and communicate them openly, so we can find out what is atleast the Best to doo. Never heard anything like that. Im also interested if Inbreeding can raise Potency aswell as General wanted Traits.. So did now per Example Reeferman raise the Potency of his Willien Nelsons Vietnamese when doing extensive Inbreeding? The reports sonded quiet good. But the groundmaterial was aswell basically 30 year old Vietnamese.. so, fresh seeds, then straight into inbreeding..

romanoweed

In other words: i absolutely like critism, and i can imagine there is some truth in the way you critisize the many Thais among us.. But then i wanna Change it. I guess testing would be the way to do that.. Not just Thai x shortflowering Skunk, no.. LAndrace-Creation. there is probably no must to assume we cant do the same. I mean crossings doesent deliver the Climatic Gene. The gene Comes Comes from the Pairing you made. We Europeans could do that

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Took a while keeping seeds from the very best samples over and over to get what they had previously
Samples collected from large populations, very large.. I'm sure it could be repeated but it could take a while..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Also you will need to do it in the plac9they are native too ie south east Asia. You won't get the same doing it in Europe I don't think.. you need to recreate the original circumstances

T

Teddybrae

Are you taking a breather from the Sheilas then, Wal? Watch out for Lady boys!!!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Are you taking a breather from the Sheilas then, Wal? Watch out for Lady boys!!!

Lol teddy I have a pretty good eye and can tell the difference,
Just hanging out in udon with some extended family, once I put a Thai SIM card in the phone this place was inaccessible, had to use a proxy server .

romanoweed

So you would agree Donald that outcrossing between different Thai strains is the recipe for the 70s thaiweed gems? Or a part of it? Have you seen the Results of doing that?

And how you mean that when you say : large Populations. Do you mean the choosing Phenos of wilder Ancestors? and again, and again?

Last edited: