What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any " one hit weed " back in the 1970's ?

EastFortRock

If so what was it? Nothing I smoked back in the 70's was comparable in strength to the plants I have grown in the last few years. I was a teen lacking in connections and probably lied to about what I was getting anyway in the 70's . Some of the best I got back then was less than half as strong my present stash.

Last edited:

OregonBorn

1: Kerala Ganja. 1976
2: Guerreran. 1975
3: Colombian Black (wacky weed). 1977
4: Cambodian Red. 1972
5: African Black Magic. 1978-1980
6: Mexican highland sinsemilia. 1978-1979
7-30: Many lids of local grown California sinsemilia. 1976-on

I dunno where all this new strain stuff is far better idea comes from, but it ain't so. Many of the later Amsterdam strains came from NorCal in a box of seeds in 1986. I grow kick-ass weed from old seed. I am not after one hit weed, but there were plenty to be had back in the day. There was also a lot of low grade bricked crap back in the day too. It was not all gravy.

There were other excellent strains to be had in the 70s, including Thai stick, Durban Poison, Acapulco gold, Maui Waui, Panama Red, Kona Gold, several other Colombian strains like Punto Rojo, Colombian gold (real gold, not the bricked lowland crap), and Punta Roja, as well as Jamaican and Brazilian. Several other kick-ass strains were from Mexico, mostly loose tops from Michoacan, Guerrero, Oaxaca, and Zacatecas. Also hashish from Lebanon, Morocco, Afghanistan, and temple balls and Nepalese fingers. Not all one hit weed, but very good weed. I had many sources though.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
its all relative to potency and tolerance , highest tested in 70's was Thai
look in Mel Franks first book and rob Clarke book of hashish , . many many GC tests from 70's in them

Shovelhandle

NO doubt there were some great strains in the 70s. I just figure that I've been in an isolated environment that I've not had pot like that ever since. It's not my tolerance either. We smoked by the carload in the day and still the top shelve thai, mowie, african, mex and colombian that people are referring to would wreck our day. Couldn't go anywhere, talk to anyone or drive for shit on that. Later in the 80s we had a few elite strains referred to as wheelchair weed and elephant weed. Also very strong with extremely long lasting effect. I thought that it may be my growing or something but now that I've been to the dispensary I know it's not on me. The strains are not up to it.

rolandomota

The type of high had a lot to do with it. More active mind highs were plentiful sativas where the norm. now you see more lazy go to sleep booring highs with not much or zero mind stimulus because these flower fast and heavy

St. Phatty

If so what was it? Nothing I smoked back in the 70's was comparable in strength to the plants I have grown in the last few years.

I think it depended a lot more on connections.

I'm sure the Beatles had some good weed. Not sure their band lasted to the 70's.

Pretty sure the Stones & the Dead had access to good weed, in the 70's.

EastFortRock

Hrpuffnkush- you are right, Tolerance makes a big difference. I have a close friend with a high enough tolerance that it almost takes something stronger than bud to get him high . " one hit weed" doesn't exist to him .

OregonBorn

I have a rather high tolerance with smoking pot. I have found that strains of weed that I have not smoked in a long while or never smoked before will get me higher than weed I am used to smoking. Also if I smoke any CBD weed beforehand I can basically smoke any amount of anything and stay relatively unstoned. Also if I am wound up like after getting off of work or something it may take a lot of weed to untangle me.

shithawk420

Veteran
i dont really have any business in this thread accept that my dad and other old heads say that weed is not the same.tolerence is one possibility but they claim otherwise.i know the last old school strains i smoked 15 years ago grown by old school heads beats the pants off anything i can get now.remember that scene from cheech and chongs up in smoke where they couldnt even move they were so stoned?thats what im talking about.maybe were just getting older but i havent had anything like it since.maybe weed is getting "stronger"but i dont think its getting better.

OregonBorn

Oh yes, and I also thought of this in the hot tub tonight: most of the weed in the 70s was seeded. Hence most of the potency was lower than sinsemilia that came later in the decade for most of us. But gooey ganja? One hit and you were gone. African? One hit and you were out. Colombian Black was downright dangerous. People thought that we laced that weed with acid. I almost got a cut of Colombian Black this summer. It is still floating around the PNW. Some Cambodian Reds that I have read about have been tested as high as 30% THC. That was as good as or better than Thai or Durban for a super intense sativa high. A friend sent me some of that from Nam in a box with some other SE Asian weed. Mexican highland sinsemilia was short lived, but really good. They were the best cured buds I have ever seen, before or since. I still do not know how they cured them. They were rolled uniformly and sparkled. The Guerrero weed was a one off. I bought a half pound and they were long loose tops, and they were the best of all the Mexicans I smoked. I smoked so much local bud in the late 70s that was all top shelf. We were spoiled. Some early local grown crosses stood out. Skunk was common, and I recall a local strain called Purple Haze and another strain called SAGE. Some of it was insanely potent and we smoked pinners.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

R

Rubber Chicken

I don't know about the 70s.... but i know some random stuff i got in the 90s was the 'heaviest' indica feeling i've ever had.

Just a couple of puffs and i COULD NOT stay awake, even on my feet.

shithawk420

Veteran
hold on a second.just because its sinsemillia doesnt mean its higher in thc.they said that back in the day because they weighed it with seeds and seeds without tested thc by weight or something like that.cant really remember exactly.Hightimes really fcked things up.plus you have to consider different terpene and other chemical profiles that play an important role.nothing black and white here.im only 30 but based on my research i dont think pot is better today.only more profitable

Shovelhandle

I remember "Brotherhood of Eternal Love" cellophane wrapped bricks of mex. Crappy, seedy, twiggy. They must have kept the good shit on the west coast.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hash plant weed is just different. It is not more potent in psychedelic terms. Hash plant smoke hits you faster, but has a low ceiling. Good sativas from the 70s take longer to hit your head, but have much higher ceilings. The more you smoked, the higher you got. Some were so strong that you did not need more than one really big hit. Thai Stick, Jamaican ganja, Colombian Black, Sumatran were all one hitters.

I have some nice weed that I try to share with hash plant smoking friends. We smoke a few hits, and after a minute they give up and smoke some indica. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes or an hour to peak on fine quality sativa. The relatively high levels of CBD, even if it is 0.50% or greater ruins the high of THC. The sativa crosses I have found that still have a semblance of the highs from the 70s test out at 0.05% or less. My theory is that people are smoking so much hash plant buds that their bloodstreams are polluted with CBD, and it affects their experience.

In summary:

1.) People today are judging a "high" by how narcotic and sleepy it is.
2.) Smokers don't even know that fine quality sativa highs blossom over a period of an hour or more. If a high does not make them tired (relaxed) instantly, they think it is weak.

Sativa highs are energetic and psychedelic by nature (high). People are simply using completely different criteria at cross purposes against two completely different animals.

Sometimes I have people smoke a large amount of sativa to get them to understand what effects to look for. They wind up getting paranoid or overly introspective and it disturbs them. They often don't like it, and I don't either. For powerful sativa highs, I have always thought titration was key to get the blissful psychedelic high that I am looking for. It is hard to do when there is a 30 minute delay before you know how high you are going to be. LOL. People often go from thinking they are not high enough to way too high without smoking any more. The same problem exists for edibles.
:scripture:

ThaiBliss

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I am an old fucker that started smoking weed when I was 11 years young (I am now north of 60--but still short of 70, phew).

I recall two times in my life where "one hit" was enough:

First was some sticky dark Cambodian Ganga that was our "everyday" weed for about a month while doing an Army thing in SE Asia in the early 70s. What I would do today to keep some of the seeds that we tossed away. It was heady and long lasting high...with a fog that lifted around mid afternoon--from your morning "wake and bake".

Second will be opium soaked joints marketed as OJs. Visualize machine rolled filter cigarettes (weed not tobacco) that are dipped in a liquid opium solution (staining the cigarette paper just below the filter) and then rolled in shake while damp...causing pieces of shake to adhere to the paper. Finished product looks like a filter cigarette with pieces of pot stuck like glitter on the 2/3 of the "joint". LOL, these were available by the handful for $1 each in our little Korean village.

These beat Thai Sticks hands down...and I loved my Thai Sticks.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
The biggest difference between the early '70's and today is that there is much more good weed available these days...

However that's not to say that today's grass is better!
In the early 70's too much of the weed was crap commercial bricks from Mexico.
But when you had the right connection, you could get some really killer shit. And sometimes it was in compressed bricks!

I also much prefer the almost pure sativa strains that were around then...Smoke a joint with friends and get up and go do something fun with a very stoned head,
without the couchlock effects of the indicas which started showing up more and more by the later 70's and early 80's...

I smoked Acapulco gold in '71 that would knock your dick in the dirt with two hits off a pin joint.
A year later, I met a Panamanian guy, when I was sailing to Jamaica, who turned me on to some reddish colored buds he had brought from home.. Really killer weed...

When I got to Jamaica in late '72, I spent 2 months exploring the back hills there,
and smoked lots of amazing, energizing head buzz ganja with the people I met in the hills.

Don't let the looks fool you! This old 1 gallon paint can is stuffed full of some great Jamaican ganja.
Yeah it's full of sticks and seeds, but you clean that shit out, roll a small spliff, and set your mind free!
I met a man in Ja who had a shed full of these cans...
I bought half a can full for $6 and it was some great smoking and great tasting stuff!:biggrin:...I just wish I had saved some of those many seeds that I threw away...

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 56

BudToaster

Veteran
best weed i have ever had, in 50 years of toking, was a $10 oz from a guy at work in Palo Alto in 1971 as a Christmas present for my bro ... 6 hour buzz from a joint shared 3 ways. no idea what strain or anything like that ... Christmas shopping that year was ... memorable.

OregonBorn

I remember "Brotherhood of Eternal Love" cellophane wrapped bricks of mex. Crappy, seedy, twiggy. They must have kept the good shit on the west coast.

We had some good, but also a lot of bad weed here. I never saw any brotherhood wrapped weed here though. Most bricked weed was inferior for sure, and seeded like crazy. Some brick was good though. The Colombians made an art of seed production to get the weight up. The Mexicans then made an art of super highly and tightly compressed bricks. In general though, the best Mexican and Colombian were the loose unbricked colas.

High Times ruined things on the west coast. We were buying cheap high quality weed here, then High Times posted weed prices in the US by region, and people started showing up with suitcases full of money from back east and prices quadrupled in the early 80s. HT was also a sucker for DEA ploys. They get zero respect from me.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Hash plant weed is just different. It is not more potent in psychedelic terms. Hash plant smoke hits you faster, but has a low ceiling. Good sativas from the 70s take longer to hit your head, but have much higher ceilings. The more you smoked, the higher you got. Some were so strong that you did not need more than one really big hit. Thai Stick, Jamaican ganja, Colombian Black, Sumatran were all one hitters.

I have some nice weed that I try to share with hash plant smoking friends. We smoke a few hits, and after a minute they give up and smoke some indica. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes or an hour to peak on fine quality sativa. The relatively high levels of CBD, even if it is 0.50% or greater ruins the high of THC. The sativa crosses I have found that still have a semblance of the highs from the 70s test out at 0.05% or less. My theory is that people are smoking so much hash plant buds that their bloodstreams are polluted with CBD, and it affects their experience.

In summary:

1.) People today are judging a "high" by how narcotic and sleepy it is.
2.) Smokers don't even know that fine quality sativa highs blossom over a period of an hour or more. If a high does not make them tired (relaxed) instantly, they think it is weak.

Sativa highs are energetic and psychedelic by nature (high). People are simply using completely different criteria at cross purposes against two completely different animals.

Sometimes I have people smoke a large amount of sativa to get them to understand what effects to look for. They wind up getting paranoid or overly introspective and it disturbs them. They often don't like it, and I don't either. For powerful sativa highs, I have always thought titration was key to get the blissful psychedelic high that I am looking for. It is hard to do when there is a 30 minute delay before you know how high you are going to be. LOL. People often go from thinking they are not high enough to way too high without smoking any more. The same problem exists for edibles.
:scripture:

ThaiBliss
I quit regularly smoking weed for years because I didn’t like the high from what I was getting (wasn’t growing either). Couldn’t stand the dumb, sleepy, antisocial affects. I’d smoke some and afterward say I’m done. Then someone would offer some and I’d say OK I’ll give it another try and then the same…I’m done.

Nothing like the uplifting, social, let’s go do something experiences of the 70’s. We used to smoke in the morning before we went to high school. Get blitz but functioning, not drooling or falling asleep (and actually I graduated with high grades).

Had some pretty good connections in the day and as far as 1 hit shit, black sheba, some of the thais, colombos and mex were there. The sheba was incredible. Also had some Hawaiian that put you into space. As ThaiBliss mentioned sometimes it took a bit for the take off and sometimes this was found out after the fact. When we thought we had the good stuff we learned to take 1 or 2 hits and wait.