What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why was cannabis made illegal?

shaggyballs

Veteran
picture.php

White Beard

Sorry I didn’t find this thread earlier: all the linked videos are down, and the accounts that uploaded them have been terminated.

Nad still the bullshit continues: the attack on climate science is in defense of Big Oil, the attack on immigrants is straight out of the Hearst-Anslinger prayer book, our politicians are huge investors in Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Jail, to this very day - Mitch McConnell has never drawn a non-governmental paycheck in his life, Jeff Sessions is up to his ears in the private prison industry, and the whole point of the ‘school-to-prison pipeline’ is to strip the black community of voting rights.

Now, nearly 40 years after Reagan’s Inauguration, the hold of Big Money on both DC and the states is tighter than its ever been, and yet NOW we have the ridiculous fantasy abroad in the land that these same extremely powerful families and the industries they control are somehow “out to get” the most obvious con-man ever elected to high office in this country - a man for whom collusion has always been the way to do business, a man who has done everything possible to undermine any remaining faith in our institutions, a man who has not a single principle to his name beyond “I win”.

And collusion is what we have been talking about this whole time: we debate whether it was racism, or money, or religion when it was all opportunism in pursuit of wealth and dominance. Several different trigger acts have been brought forth, but really, it’s not important which came first: once the ball was rolling, one industry, one player, after another jumped on, it was a no-lose proposition. Play to racism, play to prejudice, play to jealousy, play to greed - these are levers used to control overlapping segments of the population., and the better the aim, the bigger the win.

“Legalization” is just another con: the Marihuana Tax Act is still on the books, as far as I know, $100 per ounce, and could still be enforced - it didn’t expire. By 1969, the laws in this country had *already* become so convoluted and overlapping that it was possible to arrest ANYBODY - there was just no way to be in full compliance with them all.

Idjit got some flak for attempting to differentiate between the government and the people IN government who were effectively agents for Big Money, working to restrict the public under bogus pretexts. He was right to make that differentiation: if we *won’t* make that distinction then we can’t have an effect on our lives or the life of our nation. Especially now, when half the nation hates the other half, imagining that everything would be fixed if we could just get rid of *THEM*....

The Tax Act should be expunged, the Act that outlawed Marijuana in the first place (can’t remember its name) should be expunged, the Controlled Substances Act should be struck down - because those legal walls are what are funneling us into the abattoir called ‘legalization’.

“Fortunately” I live in a Confederate backwater state that will not voluntarily loosen its grip...they still remember Reconstruction here, and “Jim Crow” is a member of too many families even now.

I’ll stop now, because it turns political at this point, and Gypsy wants such thing contained, outside of Speakers’ Corner.

Thanks for you activism and persistence, Shaggy - we need a ton more o’ that...

Gry

In the seventies Nixon administration was still twisting arms, bribing etc to do what it could to get independent holdout countries to capitulate to amercan empire.

Neat thread, neat contributions.

Here is jacks book:
https://jackherer.com/emperor-3/

In DuPont’s 1937 Annual Report to its stockholders, the company strongly urged continued investment in its new, but not readily accepted, petrochemical synthetic products. DuPont was anticipating “radical changes” from “the revenue raising power of government … converted into an instrument for forcing acceptance of sudden new ideas of industrial and social reorganization.” *

kickarse

It was the league of nations 1925 Geneva opium convention, to impose global control over a wide range of drugs, including cannabis for the first time.

its not all about the USA, mind you, you blokes are always pulling the strings

The USA wanted even harder rules than were proposed, and walked out
they enforced the 1912 Hague convention instead.

therevverend

Veteran
Didn't read the entire thread but a couple things that seem like they've been missed. Prohibition had just ended in 1933, the law enforcement bureaucracy created to enforce the alcohol laws were about to lose their jobs. The Drug War was necessary to give those people something to do. Wasn't just cannabis society was freaked out about, lots of other substances were made illegal around that time. When Nixon created the DEA it wasn't just about cannabis, lots of other drugs were either banned or much more strictly controlled.

Hearst owned a lot of pulp mills and forests in northern California and Oregon. He made a lot of money by eliminating the competition. There wasn't one thing that led to cannabis prohibition it was a lot of stuff working in a lot of different places. The Depression was a time of moral panics, anything to keep the rich in power. Religion was big, the Christian abstinence types had a huge amount of power, more then today. This was the time period when Mae West got blacklisted for saying stuff like, 'When I have to choose between two evils I pick the one I haven't tried yet.' Wasn't hard for people who had control of the media to frighten the public. The Hayes Code started in 1934 which is not a coincidence, censors strictly controlled what you could and couldn't say in film, radio, and print.

This totalitarian movement wasn't only an American thing, if you look around the world the Nazis, Stalin, the British Empire, society was moving towards tighter controls over every aspect of our lives. I'm guessing a lot of prisons were getting built in this time period. The FBI and the Gestapo date from this period, and in Russia their secret police apparatus, the NKVD, was re-organized and gained unprecedented powers over Soviet civilians. Liquidating and marching to the gulag millions of people.

EvergreenState

They had to wait until big corporations had figured out a way to make billions off of it and government agencies had figured out a way to get billions in tax revenues. They are getting it down now so it became legal.
Their reasoning used to be a moral one but that went out the window when dollar signs started flashing before big government's eyes.

Lyfespan

marijuana had no lobbyists, period.

alcohol, tobacco, oil, lumber, cotton, corn, wheat have lobbied against marijuana for decades, so you do the math on why this commodity was made illegal.

to keep those rich getting richer, to not upset a global model already in place.

you are going to witness some serious hypocrisy, from governments now wanting the revenu from these tides of change the people have enacted

ahortator

Veteran
I cannot imagine the counterculture of the 1960s would had been the same if the only weed available in those days were couchlocking indica strains or the 30% THC polyhybrids of today.

If I were an MK-Ultra researcher or a member of the elite (banks like Goldman and Sachs, JP Morgan, any Lehmann Brothers offshoots, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB), Lockheed Martin or so...) who controls the world or any governmment I would feel very pleased and really happy. The job is done! A real success! Weed won't fuel any rebellion more in the future!

They spent an humungous amount of money programing and putting on a corset to people minds and thoughts since your childhood from school to the church and mass media to preserve their control, their privileges and the status quo! They cannot allow a simple weed destroys all their hard work! They want you consume something which turns you into a sluggish stupid not something which makes you cleverer and more inclined towards protesting against things you don't like!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2007/11/29/415310/-

I think Bob Marley explained really greatly why was cannabis made illegal in this video.

https://youtu.be/FlxegmmBu4E

4-Popeye-to-Superheroes_ParteI-250x342.jpg

White Beard

Didn't read the entire thread but a couple things that seem like they've been missed. Prohibition had just ended in 1933, the law enforcement bureaucracy created to enforce the alcohol laws were about to lose their jobs. The Drug War was necessary to give those people something to do. Wasn't just cannabis society was freaked out about, lots of other substances were made illegal around that time. When Nixon created the DEA it wasn't just about cannabis, lots of other drugs were either banned or much more strictly controlled.

Hearst owned a lot of pulp mills and forests in northern California and Oregon. He made a lot of money by eliminating the competition. There wasn't one thing that led to cannabis prohibition it was a lot of stuff working in a lot of different places. The Depression was a time of moral panics, anything to keep the rich in power. Religion was big, the Christian abstinence types had a huge amount of power, more then today. This was the time period when Mae West got blacklisted for saying stuff like, 'When I have to choose between two evils I pick the one I haven't tried yet.' Wasn't hard for people who had control of the media to frighten the public. The Hayes Code started in 1934 which is not a coincidence, censors strictly controlled what you could and couldn't say in film, radio, and print.

This totalitarian movement wasn't only an American thing, if you look around the world the Nazis, Stalin, the British Empire, society was moving towards tighter controls over every aspect of our lives. I'm guessing a lot of prisons were getting built in this time period. The FBI and the Gestapo date from this period, and in Russia their secret police apparatus, the NKVD, was re-organized and gained unprecedented powers over Soviet civilians. Liquidating and marching to the gulag millions of people.

ALL true, and all part of this nutritious breakfast.... As is the part about Anslinger being formerly the Commissioner of Prohibition, and related by marriage to either Hearst or DuPont, and thereby “worthy” of another phony-baloney sinecure, and so much more...

Now would actually be a real good time for us to read ‘Emperor’ again...we’re still in the fight, and my memory, at least, is getting rusty (or something).

White Beard

I cannot imagine the counterculture of the 1960s would had been the same if the only weed available in those days were couchlocking indica strains or the 30% THC polyhybrids of today.

If I were an MK-Ultra researcher or a member of the elite (banks like Goldman and Sachs, JP Morgan, any Lehmann Brothers offshoots, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB), Lockheed Martin or so...) who controls the world or any governmment I would feel very pleased and really happy. The job is done! A real success! Weed won't fuel any rebellion more in the future!

They spent an humungous amount of money programing and putting on a corset to people minds and thoughts since your childhood from school to the church and mass media to preserve their control, their privileges and the status quo! They cannot allow a simple weed destroys all their hard work! They want you consume something which turns you into a sluggish stupid not something which makes you cleverer and more inclined towards protesting against things you don't like!

I think Bob Marley explained really greatly why was cannabis made illegal in this video.

View Image
Out of rep just now, but thanks for the links! I’ll give them my attention for sure.

Gry

View Image

You really hit pay dirt with the daily kos link. Very well researched piece.
Thank you for the share.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why was cannabis made illegal? Because Harry Anslinger was a racist asshole.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Is Nationwide Marijuana Legalization Just Around the Corner?

Is Nationwide Marijuana Legalization Just Around the Corner?

It's hard to be pessimistic about marijuana legalization these days. Recreational cannabis is legal in 10 states and decriminalized in another 14. Virtually all presidential candidates, including Trump, favor letting states decide the legal status of marijuana. Polls show a majority of Republicans even support legalization. And six proposals to move marijuana laws in a more or less libertarian direction are now making their way through Congress.

What do these policy proposals look like? How are states navigating the conflicts between state and federal law? And are there any obstacles left on the path to nationwide legalization?
Joanna Andreasson

Reason's Todd Krainin sat down with Erik Altieri, the executive director of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, to talk about the building momentum toward nationwide legal pot.

[YOUTUBEIF]NJWOl0DPhsY[/YOUTUBEIF]

Source: https://reason.com/video/is-nationwide-marijuana-legalization-just-around-the-corner/

Is anybody here old enough to remember Keith Stroupe, the founder or NORML ?

He was at my university participating in a debate on marijuana. I remember sneaking away to smoke a joint before the debate started and then going to find a seat with my then girl friend, who was anti-weed.... :joint:

The usual hysteria/malarky was espoused by the the anti-weed speakers that went first, stating that marijuana will fry your brain, kill all of your sperm, create babies that will look toads, etc.

Then Stropue had his turn at the microphone, and stated that milk had more chemicals in it than marijuana. The entire college crowd erupted in laughter and applause.......:biggrin:

RMS

:smoweed: