What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

O

OrganicOzarks

What variety of eggplant are you growing?
Listada Di Gandia Eggplant

It is a breeze to grow. For some reason people around here can't grow eggplant for shit. Everyone was amazed at the fact that I got them to grow, and also to produce enough eggplant from 8 plants to last us a year.

O

OrganicOzarks

Here is another picture to show you what I do to get the most out of the small space I have. It gets in the 100's here deep into summer so growing bok choy is hard to do late in the season. So I put up a rack for some cantaloupe over this bed so that it would shade the bok choy. I had bok choy very late into the season because of this. This one cantaloupe plant gave me 6 cantaloupes spaced out through the season.

O

OrganicOzarks

You can also see in the pictures that I have PVC in the raised beds. These are the receivers for my cold frames so that I can grow year round. Every bed is always growing something no matter what time of year it is.

al-k-mist

^^ HAHAHA some people were curious how we had tomatoes and stuff last year, but due to the clay soil, and the fact that we got sun at least once a week(twice during the summer) yeah, in coastal oregon.
nw we is in the valley and may get 300 days a year

CoMedUsr

bed 1: mizuna mustard, winter density & black simpson lettuce, leeks, mizuna, bok choi, leeks spinach with peas in the back (left to right)

bed 2: back row peas, radish & a few other things that got mixed in back center/front right. Oh yeah, peas are Avalanche snow peas & sugar ann snap peas. Both are edible pods.

This is just a taste. I'm actually doing a large (for me) herb/veggie garden.

Great thread!

:)

some inspiration..

from bare dirt to abundance!

Attachments

• raisedbed1.jpg
    raisedbed1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18
  • raisedbed2.jpg
    raisedbed2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 23

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Fishing Farming & back to the land.

Fishing Farming & back to the land.

Excellent herbs, vegetables and fruit trees people! Great effort growers. thank you all for posting!

The last few days were spent fishing. So no further advances on the garden. Fishing was slow at best but perseverance payed off with these 2 rainbows.
picture.php

The potatoes and onions went in a few weeks back. From left to right here is.......................- Red potatoes, Onions, Yukon Gold. The potatoes are just coming up. Potatoes are important...easy and pretty much fool proof. Working on eating my last bucket from last fall harvest. Easy to keep easy to grow.
Onions are walla wallas and a purple variety, perhaps call the purple one dementia as I cant recall the strain. just bought onion sets this year. Did some seed and some sets last year.
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Garden produce makes pigs happy.....This pig is smiling. NO SHIT! Boss hog here would yell at me anytime I was in the garden for some corn or whatever there was an abundance of. This instance it was tomatoes.

picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
BACKWOODS HOME, PRESERVING, GREEN HOUSE.

BACKWOODS HOME, PRESERVING, GREEN HOUSE.

Subscribing to this magazine gives me ideas and gears me up. This is by far the best back to the land' publication out there. Magazine is based out of Gold Beach, Oregon. No advertising, just loaded with sound backwoods knowledge.
picture.php

Preserve the harvest
picture.php
picture.php

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

From my past association with the Oregon Association of Nurseries (OAN) I've had the opportunity to visit several dozen commercial nurseries up and down the Willamette Valley and I've seen a lot of greenhouses from piss-poor to "How much did you spend on this?"

You should be building your design for those that need small to medium set-ups. Seriously. There's a huge gap in this market segment. You can find the toys sold at retail nurseries and grow stores and after that you move to the uber-expensive massive set-ups where spending $8,000.00 for temp, humidity and air-flow is a good start. It's the middle sector of this market that lacks viable designs.

Check out the annual FarWest Show in PDX each August. There are 3 major horticulture shows every year around the world - Germany, Japan & Portland. If you had a need to be in town during this show it would be worth your time to check out what is being offered as far as greenhouses to the trade. You might be pleasantly surprised and with the economy slowly creeping back up in the housing market there will be money spent. Home sales account for over 60% of nursery's gross revenues. Directly and indirectly.

Home is up for sale and the real estate agent yammers on about 'curb appeal' so it's off to buy plants or hire a landscaper. Home gets sold and on the check list is 'fix the horrible landscape that came with the house' - a complete win-win for nurseries up and down the supply chain.

Annual gross income for Oregon nurseries exceeds $1.3 Billion - that does not include any agriculture operations or the turf & grass seed industries. This is strictly for container grown annuals, shrubs and trees.

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
I feel ya Clackamas there is certainly some money to be made 'mining the miners' so to speak. Look at 'smart pots' for cripes sake! Now why didnt I think of that.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Yard Long Beans

Yard Long Beans

Seriously now, heres some pole beans. The Latin name is phaseolus vulgaris (Asian-Dow Gauk) or yard long bean or asparagus bean. Growing them for novelty and to give them a taste test. Im also growing some bush beans called 'green crop'. The seeds were collected last fall at a friends house. The pods were petite and straight so I grabbed them up for a run. Collecting seeds for the garden from your own garden is easy. Year before last I grew tomatoes from seed from a tomato bought at the store. They turned out great. My thoughts are that they grow so much of one variety in a commercial field there is little chance for cross pollination. Great way to test the product before growing it out IMO.
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Clackamas- I checked out the link you gave to the originators of smart pots. Like the 'tree collars' to keep saplings from blowing over in the wind. My thought would be tie it to the line with a piece of twine. But yeah people go for things like this.

Latest posts

Latest posts