What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
image try again...try again

image try again...try again

Here goes,
The JF freezer cured as described
picture.php

And here's the rest:
picture.php

Hope tey're visible now, let me know please.
But I used the same routine as for all my other posts with images...

take care guys

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pictures aren't working pal.

under the smilies it says my photos/insert images - use that for the best pictures.

or you can manage attachments and attach them directly to hte post from your harddrive or cloud.

w/e you are doing isn't working :(

Who got links and sources for freezers to cure in!?!?!?!?!

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
retry

retry

Allright I'll try once more, this is how I post all my pics in my thread, so if it's not working, something might be off with the 1s and 0s ....

picture.php

and here's the jar:

picture.php

Smokes real smooth & nice!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
To be honest I have never tried to cure herbal Cannabis in a freezer. But a friend that lived far out in the country with a tiny cabin and no room to hang all his plants to dry used to do this.
He would first cut all his plants into 3-4 foot pieces and stick them all into chest freezers, then he would take out as much as he could hang in his tiny cabin and dry them for two weeks, then take more out of the freezers and repeat the process. He was drying small batches for months and the herb came out fine, although the colors were darker after the freezer.
I myself never dry or cure in glass, after 2 weeks drying I use big cardboard boxes filled to the top and closed in a cool room with low humidity for a few months to cure. Glass can easily mold during a cure and while I used to store in glass vacuumed sealed I stoped when I realized how much terpenes I was losing during the vacuum process. I don't store herbal materials anymore as I do not smoke herbal Cannabis anymore, only resin which I keep in a freezer in freezer ziplocks.

-SamS

jus'plain'gill

I'm glad to see members here still experimenting with the freezer cure method. Just in case someone may miss this thread with it being on the 2nd page of the forum, I'm gonna bring it back to the top of page one. Keep after it, spread the word, tell everyone you know: CANNABIS IS GOOD FOR YOU!

.JPG

jus'plain'gill

It's getting warmer outside but my freezer remains perfect for curing. I just wish I had something to keep in there other than my mexican TV dinners:bandit:

I'm scraping through the crumbs of my last harvest (more than a year ago) and they are perfectly preserved having been cured and stored in my freezer. The ease and simplicity to get great results is my favorite part of this process: Set it and Forget it!

.JPG

One2Lurk

Works great. Simple, simple simple... Isnt that usually what ends up working best?

The true beauty of this method is the freedom it allows you. For instance, after harvest is over, you typically have a fairly demanding schedule to burp the glass for weeks. Using this method 5-6 days post chop, you can take a little time off. Usually much needed. The bonus comes in the form of smooth predictable results.

Just for fun, try "finishing" with a tiny fingernail sized piece of citrus peel in a mason jar of freezer cured nugs. After achieving the desired moisture level that you prefer for smoking or vaping, add the sliver of fresh peel to the jar of nugs for a couple days, burping as during jar curing. This technique also works to "revive" older, over dry buds or if you just overshoot your desired moisture content. Sure, I've heard of folks using lettuce or potatoe skin, but an orange or lemon peel brings some terpenes and zip of its own to the party.

The freezer cure for around a month ensures a nice clean base, and a little lemon, lime, or grapefruit peel will give an old strain you enjoy a whole new appeal.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
To be honest I have never tried to cure herbal Cannabis in a freezer. But a friend that lived far out in the country with a tiny cabin and no room to hang all his plants to dry used to do this.
He would first cut all his plants into 3-4 foot pieces and stick them all into chest freezers, then he would take out as much as he could hang in his tiny cabin and dry them for two weeks, then take more out of the freezers and repeat the process. He was drying small batches for months and the herb came out fine, although the colors were darker after the freezer.
I myself never dry or cure in glass, after 2 weeks drying I use big cardboard boxes filled to the top and closed in a cool room with low humidity for a few months to cure. Glass can easily mold during a cure and while I used to store in glass vacuumed sealed I stoped when I realized how much terpenes I was losing during the vacuum process. I don't store herbal materials anymore as I do not smoke herbal Cannabis anymore, only resin which I keep in a freezer in freezer ziplocks.

-SamS

Hey Sam,
You're absolutely right about mold beeing a possible issue when using jars for curing & storage.
That's why I use tiny hygrometers in every jar. Once the humidity is around 60% or slightly above that, I stop burping them and just let them cure for as long as I wish. At that humidity curing is still happening as the weed is not completely dried up, but it's already too dry for mold and I can store it for up to a year easily ( haven't tried to go longer aka smoked it up ;-)
May I ask what made you decide to drop herbal mj and turn completely to resin only ?
I really like making & smoking bubble, but a good fatty of well cured bud.... mhhhh!

S

sourpuss

Yeah I have to wonder how sam the skunkman is smokin his resin? Bt's would b my last guess but u never know.:)

How bout a little info on what strains u got packed into your freezer baggies, im sure lots of people would love to know....

T

Terps

The freezer cured bud looks greener. Doesnt that mean its holding more chlorophyll?

jus'plain'gill

The freezer cured bud looks greener. Doesnt that mean its holding more chlorophyll?

I'm no expert, so I don't know for sure, but I'm going to say if the freezer cured bud does have more chlorophyll then it doesn't matter at all. I can tell you definitively that the greener, freezer cured bud smokes smoother and with a more refined flavor than the jar cured bud. The three most important factors in curing are 1) exposure to light, 2) exposure to air, 3) temperatures. These three factors are perfectly addressed by the freezer. Chlorophyll probably doesn't evaporate but perhaps it metabolizes or oxidizes into a different compound. Maybe? Idk...

Again, I'm not near as much an expert as I am a casual observer of things. I like picking brains and having my own picked so I'd love to keep the conversation going about this method of curing.:tiphat:

Take care,

.JPG

ChuanFa

Hey gill,
Also had read this in Rosenthal's book, and was intrigued by this method. TBH, was always terrified of jar cures. Mold and crap if you do it wrong? No thanks. Have a job, can't sit around all day and burp!

My experience so far:
After three days drying on a string, the branches are in the freezer curing. They were less green after the drying, as expected.

About 8 days in so far with cure. They look pretty unremarkable, sitting next to samosas and hamburgers. The stems are bendy, not snappish. I placed them in a shallow glass baking container, so there was no danger of them falling out.

Will update when we pull them out to give it a try.

ChuanFa

Alright, promised update:

Schedule from harvest (northern lights under a bigass LED):
  1. Three days on a string at around 50% humidity
  2. 10 days in the freezer
  3. immediately put into a jar

This meant that the bud was dried relatively slowly, so that the clorophyll was eaten up by the metabolic process, and then cured evenly in a super low humidity environment.

The result is some of the finest goddamn bud I've had in a long time.

It torches really easily, and will stay lit on its own, forming hot cherries you have to put out. At the same time, the bud is pliable, and seems to have equal moisture content top to bottom.

Things I noticed:
  • The stalks when it came out of the freezer didn't snap like they would with a jar cure
  • the bud seems as if it is a deeper green
  • I am using glass for the dried buds, and used glass cookware when I put it in the freezer
  • You'll notice when it is sitting in the freezer that it doesn't really look like its changing. It's not clear what is going on at all.

BIG thanks to everyone in this thread that convinced me to do this. Hope my info is of use to everyone else.

Hey gill,
Also had read this in Rosenthal's book, and was intrigued by this method. TBH, was always terrified of jar cures. Mold and crap if you do it wrong? No thanks. Have a job, can't sit around all day and burp!

My experience so far:
After three days drying on a string, the branches are in the freezer curing. They were less green after the drying, as expected.

About 8 days in so far with cure. They look pretty unremarkable, sitting next to samosas and hamburgers. The stems are bendy, not snappish. I placed them in a shallow glass baking container, so there was no danger of them falling out.

Will update when we pull them out to give it a try.

ChuanFa

Alright, promised update:

MOLD! Just a tiny, pea sized piece of mold.

I got mold in the jar I put the freezer cured bud into. Threw it all back into the freezer after clipping away the affected stuff.

Just be careful, make sure to use your hydrometer.

jus'plain'gill

MOLD! Just a tiny, pea sized piece of mold.

I got mold in the jar I put the freezer cured bud into. Threw it all back into the freezer after clipping away the affected stuff.

Just be careful, make sure to use your hydrometer.

I've had to deal with moldy buds, in the middle of the bigger and denser colas. It is the worst feeling breaking open your biggest, juiciest looking buds to find that grey mushy mess. I hate that!!!

Fortunately, some can be salvaged. It appears that putting the affected product in the freezer halts the spread of the mold. Some folks will say it is absolutely not worth the risk to your health, but I've been picking over some moldy buds I've kept in the freezer for going on 2 years now. It's my "emergency stash", I only dip into it when I'm out of proper smoke. I don't smoke the grey stuff, just the pieces of bud that are still bright green and have the appearance of being unaffected. Try this at your own risk.

Even the nastiest looking stuff I save, it goes into the mix when I make ISO hash.

Good luck!

.JPG

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been reading this thread for a few days now. Thanks to all who contributed, this is great information.
I am guilty of screwing up more than one harvest thru the drying/curing process. Usually from jarring buds too soon, or not burping frequently enough.

I will be using this process with my current harvest, without hesitation. My plants were chopped, trimmed, and hung to dry for 5 days. Crispy on the outside, but spongy when u squeeze em. Then everything went into paper bags for another day. I don't have a hygrometer, but they feel perfect right now. A lil dryer than they normally are when I jarred them in the past (probaby where i used to fuck em up).

The only thing I'm doing different than everyone else is using the paper bags in the freezer. I'm not able to put buds out in the open next to the Italian ices and the waffles, lol.

I fill the paper bags loosely to the top with bud (without packing them in) then place another paper bag over the top, making a paper bag pillow of bud. The buds are able to dry out slowly when they are like this in a normal temp room, so I'm sure it will allow the buds to do their thing in the freezer as well. I'm not too worried about mold, or over-dying which are the only things to really be concerned with in this process.

Thanks again to everyone who posted in this thread.

:tiphat:

glockdoc

Been reading this thread for a few days now. Thanks to all who contributed, this is great information.
I am guilty of screwing up more than one harvest thru the drying/curing process. Usually from jarring buds too soon, or not burping frequently enough.

I will be using this process with my current harvest, without hesitation. My plants were chopped, trimmed, and hung to dry for 5 days. Crispy on the outside, but spongy when u squeeze em. Then everything went into paper bags for another day. I don't have a hygrometer, but they feel perfect right now. A lil dryer than they normally are when I jarred them in the past (probaby where i used to fuck em up).

The only thing I'm doing different than everyone else is using the paper bags in the freezer. I'm not able to put buds out in the open next to the Italian ices and the waffles, lol.

I fill the paper bags loosely to the top with bud (without packing them in) then place another paper bag over the top, making a paper bag pillow of bud. The buds are able to dry out slowly when they are like this in a normal temp room, so I'm sure it will allow the buds to do their thing in the freezer as well. I'm not too worried about mold, or over-dying which are the only things to really be concerned with in this process.

thanks for the insight man!

jus'plain'gill

Mmmmm, Italian ice:yummy:

I've used shoe boxes with the top on with success so I'm sure paper bags would work just fine for you. Good luck and please come back with an update (and pictures if possible!). Take care,

.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts