What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Window AC Box Build For a Tent

Cannabean

Hello fellow potheads!!:tiphat:

I decided to post this thread becuase there arn't very many diy guides here on the mag for AC boxes with pics of the actual build. I used to use a 13k btu portable ac to cool my Growlab GL145 4'x4' tent and it was very inefficient and my electric bill shot through the roof. So I decided to build a window AC box for my tent.

The problem with most AC's in tents, especially small tents, is there not being enough room for the ac to sit inside, so our only options are to use a portable and duct it in or buy an expensive mini split.
I suggest everyone who wants to build a box like this FIRST read Hoosierdaddy's thread on the planning aspects of the build, seen here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95491

However his guide does not list the style in which most tent AC users will need, which is the entire AC unit sitting outside of the tent. This is our final product:

This build allows me to use a $75 window ac I got on craigslist to accomplish two things: create a truely sealed environment (portable AC's exhaust a little bit of smelly growroom air) while using a more efficient machine to cool the same area.

Parts needed and costs:
10k btu window air conditioner, craigslist, $75
6" inline fan, craiglist, $70
40' weatherstrip tape, home depot, $12
12' of 2x4 dimensional lumber, home depot, $10
2x 8' of 1"x12" plywood or 2x 2'x4' MDF fiberboard, home depot, $15
2x ¼" thick 2'x4' fiberboard or thin plywood, home depot, $8
Other parts needed: powered drill, jigsaw, screws, ducting for your specific application.

The air conditioner I'm using is the LG LWHD1006RY 10,000 btu window ac. As you can see, it has cold air exhaust on front top, ambient air intake on lower front, motor cooling intake on middle sides and top, and hot air exhaust on the entire back part of the unit.

For my setup, where the ac unit sits outside of the tent completely, we need to section off a few parts of the unit to direct the airflow. The hot air exhaust will be ducted out of the ambient air room entirely. The motor intake will suck from the ambiet air where the tent sits (the same air that a light's exhaust would suck from in a sealed room setup). And the cold air intake and exhaust (front bottom and top) will each have their own seperated ducts into the tent.

So first we must use the 2x4's cut to fit snugly, but not to tight, around the exterior unit of the ac. I removed the AC motor from its housing to make this step easier.

Once you have your 2x4's cut, line them with weatherstrip to create a nice snug seal.

Either slide the square 2x4's with weatherstip over each end of the unit, or if its too snug, you can piece the 2x4's together in L shape and connect them around the ac unit.

Do the same for the exhaust side, but make sure you don't cover up any of the intake slits with the 2x4 housing or the air will be restricted from exhaust and eventually kill your ac exhaust motor.

Now its time to cut the sides of our housing in order to mount the ducting. I chose to use 1" MDF fiberboard instead of precut 1x12" lumber becuase it seemed cheaper and is easier and less messy to cut. If you don't have a skillsaw or want to use the jigsaw as little as possible, then consider using 1x12" lumber instead.

I cut the fiberboard into 1"x12" pieces to make the "walls" for both intake and exhaust sides, lined them with weatherstip tape to create a seal, and then screwed them onto the 2x4" braces.

I cut squares of the ¼" fiberboard to create the ends or the "roof" and attached it to the exhaust side.

The front required tent air intake and cold exhaust to be sectioned off from eachother, and weatherstipped to create a seal. Holes were cut to attach ducting to the front.

The hot air exhaust will need a fan to help push the hot air through ducting. The ac units exhaust fan is not designed for ducting and the exhaust motor will burn out if its working hard to push air with resistance. A 6" hole was cut for an inline fan to help exhaust the air.

Try to match your fan cfm to the cfm of the AC unit, which should be listed in the manual. Mine was 240 cfm so I matched it with a 270cfm 6" can fan, slightly overkill but I'm ducting it 15' out.

Determine the ducting you plan on using for your holes, I suggest keeping the duct size the same throughout. For instance I used a 6" intake, 6" exhaust, and a 4x12" to 6" universal register box for cold air exhaust. All of these can be bought at home depot.

All finished! I have the cold air blowing into the bottom of the tent, the tent intake pulling from the roof port, and the hot air exhausted out of the garage.

I have it and the fan connected to a C.A.P. TMP-DNe day/night temperature controller which turns on the ac and the exhaust fan when my tent temps get too high. Works like a charm and costs less than a portable.:greenstars:

Excellent DIY show, Cannabean. I intend to build this in the spring. Thank GOD its finally cooler and I shouldn't need much A/C til then. It takes up a fair bit of floor space, I see, but it looks to be easier to build out of lumber than from flimsy foamboard. Grow on, man and thanks for the effort to make this show.

Stagehand

zor

good stuff for sure. im a bit suprised that the fan too feed the cold air into the tent doesnt need a booster fan to help out. I always assumed that the fan used to blow out cold air was unable to handle any ducting (just like the exhaust fan in the back). Obviously you got it working no problem.

Wow- great tutorial man! I'm not looking forward to having to do this in the spring, but I'm going to have to in an attic in Florida (its going to be 90+ up there easy in the summer). This will certainly make it easier!

Hey, trying to think up questions since you probably won't be tending this thread in a few months when I'll actually use it...

I've wondered since I haven't actually bought an AC unit yet, how much air they put out. Specifically is it bad to force the hot air out by using a duct fan like you are? I mean does that cut down on cooling or something? I figure they work at a certain rate and if you're forcefully pulling the air through it into your tent and then back out and what-not does it still cool at a good rate?

How hot are your ambient temps? Like I said I'll be working in a 90-100+ degree attic in the spring :( I figure if it just has to cool the grow tent itself it should be plenty though (I'll have the 1000w light in its own air-cooled hood pulling from the attic to the outside so only the tent is getting AC air).

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, Cannabean, that looks like it took a major effort. I cool my 4x4 tent with a small LG window unit that cools the entire 12x14 room. The tent has ducting for 2 passive air inlets. I run a 400 watt bulb in this tent, and this past summer, the tent temp never got above 82F. The 400w is in a cool tube with a 6" axial fan, and exhausts thru ducting to the outside. I use an ona gel-type of bucket for smell control, when needed.

What size bulb are you running? Great work!

Cannabean

Hey guys thanks for the comments!

stagehand: yah it takes up a good amount of floorspace, though similar size to a portable, and is quite heavy, but works!

Zor: I also worried about whether or not I'd need a fan for the cold air exhaust, but it doesnt seem to struggle, especially because I keep the cold air fan speed on low. The ac only runs for about 2 minutes every 20 minutes during the later part of the afternoon until lights off, so it does it's job well.

partcleguy: window ac's work exceptionally better than portables for this reason, the unit entirely seperates the hot air intake and exhaust from the cold air intake and exhaust.

The inline fan I use for exhaust does not affect the cold air intake/exhaust at all, for they are entirely sectioned off from the exhaust side. It simply sucks air from the garage through intake slits in the middle of the AC unit, cools the motor, and then is exhausted out. The cool air intake/exhaust sucks air from the tent, cools it, and then blows it back in. No grow room air is lost and a truely sealed room is achieved.

Portables, even dual hose portable ACs will blow a minimal amount of grow room air out the exhaust. Using a fan with higher cfm (270) than the cfm of the AC's hot air exhaust allows the window ac to work less hard at cooling the motor but doesn't at all affect the cooling intake/exhaust airflow.

My ambients are about 60-65° when lights turn on, reaching a winter high of usually 75-80°. Summer temps in the garage sometimes reach 90-100, though that is rare. Humidity is rather high where I live though, usually around 70% so I have to use a dehumidifier in the tent which continually raises the tent temps.

festivus: Thanks for the comment! I run a fully sealed room with co2, a dehumidifier, no exhaust or intake, and all passive vents closed, which makes controlling the temps with an exhaust fan implausable. My tent sits in a large garage (25'x20') so cooling the ambient was also out of the question for me.
I run a 1000w in my 5x5 tent and it is air cooled on its own sealed line using a 420cfm fan and the heat is blown out of the garage.

I used to do passive intake and no co2, which kept the temps in line except in the summer, but I was never able to control humidity like this since my ambient hum is so high. It was a lot of work but worth it to be able to use co2.

edit: lol why is there a thumbs down as my subject line?

Wow ok I see- I didn't realize you were able to circulate from the tent and back into the tent! Thats gotta be a whole lot more efficient than pulling from the room itself which could be really hot (90+). Great tutorial!

Hello fellow potheads!!:tiphat:

I decided to post this thread becuase there arn't very many diy guides here on the mag for AC boxes with pics of the actual build. I used to use a 13k btu portable ac to cool my Growlab GL145 4'x4' tent and it was very inefficient and my electric bill shot through the roof. So I decided to build a window AC box for my tent.

The problem with most AC's in tents, especially small tents, is there not being enough room for the ac to sit inside, so our only options are to use a portable and duct it in or buy an expensive mini split.
I suggest everyone who wants to build a box like this FIRST read Hoosierdaddy's thread on the planning aspects of the build, seen here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95491

However his guide does not list the style in which most tent AC users will need, which is the entire AC unit sitting outside of the tent. This is our final product:

This build allows me to use a $75 window ac I got on craigslist to accomplish two things: create a truely sealed environment (portable AC's exhaust a little bit of smelly growroom air) while using a more efficient machine to cool the same area.

Parts needed and costs:
10k btu window air conditioner, craigslist, $75
6" inline fan, craiglist, $70
40' weatherstrip tape, home depot, $12
12' of 2x4 dimensional lumber, home depot, $10
2x 8' of 1"x12" plywood or 2x 2'x4' MDF fiberboard, home depot, $15
2x ¼" thick 2'x4' fiberboard or thin plywood, home depot, $8
Other parts needed: powered drill, jigsaw, screws, ducting for your specific application.

The air conditioner I'm using is the LG LWHD1006RY 10,000 btu window ac. As you can see, it has cold air exhaust on front top, ambient air intake on lower front, motor cooling intake on middle sides and top, and hot air exhaust on the entire back part of the unit.

For my setup, where the ac unit sits outside of the tent completely, we need to section off a few parts of the unit to direct the airflow. The hot air exhaust will be ducted out of the ambient air room entirely. The motor intake will suck from the ambiet air where the tent sits (the same air that a light's exhaust would suck from in a sealed room setup). And the cold air intake and exhaust (front bottom and top) will each have their own seperated ducts into the tent.

So first we must use the 2x4's cut to fit snugly, but not to tight, around the exterior unit of the ac. I removed the AC motor from its housing to make this step easier.

Once you have your 2x4's cut, line them with weatherstrip to create a nice snug seal.

Either slide the square 2x4's with weatherstip over each end of the unit, or if its too snug, you can piece the 2x4's together in L shape and connect them around the ac unit.

Do the same for the exhaust side, but make sure you don't cover up any of the intake slits with the 2x4 housing or the air will be restricted from exhaust and eventually kill your ac exhaust motor.

Now its time to cut the sides of our housing in order to mount the ducting. I chose to use 1" MDF fiberboard instead of precut 1x12" lumber becuase it seemed cheaper and is easier and less messy to cut. If you don't have a skillsaw or want to use the jigsaw as little as possible, then consider using 1x12" lumber instead.

I cut the fiberboard into 1"x12" pieces to make the "walls" for both intake and exhaust sides, lined them with weatherstip tape to create a seal, and then screwed them onto the 2x4" braces.

I cut squares of the ¼" fiberboard to create the ends or the "roof" and attached it to the exhaust side.

The front required tent air intake and cold exhaust to be sectioned off from eachother, and weatherstipped to create a seal. Holes were cut to attach ducting to the front.

The hot air exhaust will need a fan to help push the hot air through ducting. The ac units exhaust fan is not designed for ducting and the exhaust motor will burn out if its working hard to push air with resistance. A 6" hole was cut for an inline fan to help exhaust the air.

Try to match your fan cfm to the cfm of the AC unit, which should be listed in the manual. Mine was 240 cfm so I matched it with a 270cfm 6" can fan, slightly overkill but I'm ducting it 15' out.

Determine the ducting you plan on using for your holes, I suggest keeping the duct size the same throughout. For instance I used a 6" intake, 6" exhaust, and a 4x12" to 6" universal register box for cold air exhaust. All of these can be bought at home depot.

All finished! I have the cold air blowing into the bottom of the tent, the tent intake pulling from the roof port, and the hot air exhausted out of the garage.

I have it and the fan connected to a C.A.P. TMP-DNe day/night temperature controller which turns on the ac and the exhaust fan when my tent temps get too high. Works like a charm and costs less than a portable.:greenstars:

the ducting on the right is getting fresh air from where?

Cannabean

supersmallgiant is correct, the ducting in the front on the right is pullin from an intake hole in the top of the tent for the AC intake. thank you for the comment!

Last edited:

Super.Seeds

ICMag Donor
This thread is really making me think twice about getting a split ac...Great DIY! Yes, it does take up a little space but it looks like it is really working for you!

Questions:
-How many ducts are coming off your setup? 3, correct? Where do they all go? lol...What I mean is, I aircool my lights and have the top two duct holes on my GL145L 5x10 tent used up.
(There are two 8" ducts on ground level opposite each other and an 8" ceiling duct left.)

-Does having the ac in the room the tent is in heat the room at all? Or is that why you have all that ducting?

-How many BTU window ac would you get for 2K in a GL145L? I hope they have a model just like yours but with more power so I can copy this great tutorial word for word. :)

-There is a chance that in the night cycles in the winter here I will need a heat pump...Do they make window units with heat pumps?

-Is this a better method than a split ac or just cheaper?
Thanks Cannabean!! :thank you:

SS

Cannabean

This thread is really making me think twice about getting a split ac...Great DIY! Yes, it does take up a little space but it looks like it is really working for you!

Questions:
-How many ducts are coming off your setup? 3, correct? Where do they all go? lol...What I mean is, I aircool my lights and have the top two duct holes on my GL145L 5x10 tent used up.
(There are two 8" ducts on ground level opposite each other and an 8" ceiling duct left.)
Yes, the AC unit has 4 directions of airflow, two completely isolated from the other two directions of airflow, these being cold air intake from tent(front right of unit) and the cold air exhaust back into the tent(front left of unit). The other two are the AC unit motor intake (slits in middle of AC unit) and the hot air exhaust (ducting from back).
I do the same as you, I have a dedicated fan for cooling the light which is on its own sealed line pulling air from outside of the tent, through the hood, and pushing out of the garage. This fan uses the tent holes on the top right and left sides of the tent.

The AC unit uses the roof hole for cold air intake and the bottom side tent hole for cold air exhaust.

The third piece of duct you're seeing is the AC motor hot air exhaust line which I have running to a hole in the garage wall so the hot air exhaust from the AC is pushed out of the garage so it won't heat it up.
-Does having the ac in the room the tent is in heat the room at all? Or is that why you have all that ducting?
The third piece of ducting solves this, the AC motor's heat is pushed out of the garage, just like the heat from the light. In these recent cold temps here in SD (45-70°), the AC unit doesn't even turn on and I could easily get away with not having that hot air exhaust duct line at all.
If I didn't duct this air away and blew hot air into the garage, for the minimal amount of time the AC unit is actually blowing hot air, the fan for cooling the lights could adequetly keep the ambient garage temps cool. However in the summer, this isn't always the case. It depends on your ambient temps I think.
-How many BTU window ac would you get for 2K in a GL145L? I hope they have a model just like yours but with more power so I can copy this great tutorial word for word. :)
To be honest, I would get a 10k btu for that size room, I got mine 10k unit in preparation to eventually get a 5x10 tent. With air cooled lights and low ambient temps you might not even need 10k btu. With a 5x5 tent the 10k btu AC cools it down from 84° to 78° in about 3 minutes, overkill. I found this model AC unit on craigslist. This is a great time to look for ac units as winter is coming and people need cash and don't need AC's.
-There is a chance that in the night cycles in the winter here I will need a heat pump...Do they make window units with heat pumps?
I have my dehumidifier running all night in my room and it keeps the temps around 72-75 at night, depends on your ambient temp and humidity if you'll need a heater at night, I think.
-Is this a better method than a split ac or just cheaper?
Thanks Cannabean!! :thank you:

SS
Split AC's are wayyy more efficient, Mitsubishi makes one that is 23 EER which is incredible. My LG unit is like 10 eer. If you can afford a mini split, have a place to put one, and are able to cut a square hole in your room to mount the unit, they are more efficient in the long run.
If I were you I'd find a cheap window unit on craigslist and make the box, depending on your ambient temps in winter and summer and how willing you are to do some DIY work with saws, drills, etc. If you have a big budget and plan to upgrade to 10x10 tent, consider the mini-split.

Thanks for the questions and comments!!!!:thank you: keep em coming :bump:

Zarezhu

Hey! This is exactly what I've been looking for.
I've been planning a grow for quite some time. Picking up this tent
http://www.planetearthhydro.com/products/DarkRoom-300-(118.8"x118.8"x79.2").html
It's pretty pricey at 800-900 but it's perfect for 4 1000w hps
1 8" inline fan per 2 hoods pulling air from the ambient room, through the hoods, and venting it outside.
There will be a 4 burner co2 generator hanging inside the tent for the day, and a 70 pint dehuey for the nights.
I'm curious if with a 10k window unit that you have, would I be able to keep the temperatures inside of the 10x10x6.6 grow tent down to 78-85 constantly with the co2 gen and 4 vented lights? If, persay, the ambient temperature of the room the grow tent resides in is around 85 degrees.

Maybe I could shell out a bit more money and get a $500 window ac with 14500 btu like this guy?
http://www.universal-akb.com/cp14e10.html?productid=cp14e10&channelid=FROOG

Also, I have no experience with grow tents, and am curious as to how expensive of a dehumidifier I'd need to keep night time humidity from destroying some dense buds. Would a regular $200 70 pints per day unit be enough or does it require something expensive?

Trying to keep costs down though so would a 10k btu window ac constructed like you shown be enough?

Cannabean

Zarezhu, a 10k btu will NOT be enough to cool a 10x10 tent in 85° ambients. I would do 14k at least, but since your ambient temps are high and youll be using a co2 burner, which create a lot of heat, I might even go bigger. Look on craigslist for a window shaker if you're tying to save money, if you wanted to save in the long run, look into mini-splits.

I use a cfm-40 dehumidifier in my room and I am not 100% happy with it. Look for a large, at least 70pt/day dehuey for that room.