What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk music.

StayHigh149

I'm 37. So I missed the "Hendrix Era" of rock but love that type of music. Can anyone that grew up in that era direct me to some groups, songs, albums to broaden my horizins?

Some of the music I have had the pleasure to experienec is Hendrix, The Doors, CCR, Skynnard. I am by no means really well versed in their music catalogs or any other music from that era that would compliment them, so please enlighten me as to some good music..... :confused:

sunnyday

i'm 38, gonna be 39 next month. it don't matter if you missed live hendrix, watch the dvd, download it right now on torrent. take extra mescaline and carrot juice during the good part.

i recently discovered the led zeppelin knebworth dvd. utterly amazing, i was about 2 years young to have visited england and seen that show.

old zeppelin heads say they peaked earlier, i think their last shows together were their primetime.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
well im about half your age but the music from that era is pretty much all I listen to...

one of my faves would have to be The Band. Music From The Big Pink

not really sure what kind of tunes your lookin for. Buffalo Springfields gotta be my all time favourite. Neil young too of course, Everybody knows this is nowhere. and im sure you know the stones, Emotional Rescue is a great album.(little newer but still great)

being a child of the 80's i was listening to the "big hair"bands.
twisted sister (I wanna rock!)
RATT
April wine- i seen them twice.
AC/DC
Quiet Riot
I also was a big Kansas fan.

my tastes have changed for sure but somtimes i need a little Metal to bang my head! be cool

mtnjohn

Veteran
well there are many "gotta haves" heres a few

steely dan pretzl logic
van morrison moondance
little feat waiting for columbus
john prine
crosby stills nash...& young any
emerson lake & palmer
the who who's next
robin trower bridge of sighs
man , i could go on and on

M

Mr. Nevermind

Jimi died a few years before i was born but i can say i have listened to and own just about every DVD and cd he ever put out, including concerts . Most of the music form 67-70 is timeless so no matter what age you are its just good music. I found out about Jimi in 1991 and have been a fan since. My mother was a hippie from NYC that went to many concerts at flimore east and also went to woodstock so once i got into the music she was more than happy to tell me about the times and what it was like then . Its never to late for Jimi!!

Nevermind

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I'm only 25 but I love all the classic rock. I grew up listening to it so I started to like. Some of my favorties are Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Ted Nugent, Lynard Skynard, The Doors, Hendrix, Steve Miller, etc....

I rock out on Rush's 2112 album all the time, and my 3 disc Zeppelin mix.

:headbange

G

If you are a Hendrix fan... surely you love Stevie Ray Vaughn.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush at the House of Blues... Frank's guitar work is amazing... a synthesis of Hendrix, SRV, a little Eric Johnson and his own unique styling.

This would be an awesome cd to pickup... Amazon has it: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Real Live. It's a double cd worth every dime.

Mais-

M

Mr. Nevermind

Maistre said:
If you are a Hendrix fan... surely you love Stevie Ray Vaughn.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush at the House of Blues... Frank's guitar work is amazing... a synthesis of Hendrix, SRV, a little Eric Johnson and his own unique styling.

This would be an awesome cd to pickup... Amazon has it: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Real Live. It's a double cd worth every dime.

Mais-

Yeah there is i direct line of hendrix fans that leads right to SRV. That guy was amazing as well. More bluesy than hendrix was most of the time. Hendrix was very phsycadelic while SRV was more of a southern blue man but they are both amazing and definalty missed by me. its a shame the music today. so rehearsed and planned out. back when hendrix would play he would make it up as he went along, change the word or do wahtever. Hard to find to live versions of Purple haze or voodo child that are alike. Most have major differences in how he would play them. Now a days you can go to a concert at the garden and the show is exactly the same as it would be in wisconsin. back in the day they would just play. Jimi would do covers, not have a set list and just do whatever. Those were the days of true musicians , now we have singers who dont write their own songs, cant play an insturment and basically have little or no talent. Which is why poeple always go back to Hendrix

nevermind

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I agree there was more talent back then. Hendrix was one of the best guitar players ever along with SRV. It's a shame they couldn't do more work.

M

Mr. Nevermind

Closet Funk said:
I agree there was more talent back then. Hendrix was one of the best guitar players ever along with SRV. It's a shame they couldn't do more work.

Not a shame at all. People like that arent meant to stay with us for long. They are here to show us how things should be and to change the way we think about music. Once that happens their job is complete and they can leave us. Jimi was only around for 3 years but over 30 years after his death we still listen to him and he changes peopel today. We are lucky to have had him around as long as we did

nevermind

G

Marino started his set out with Voodoo Chile and ended it with Amazing Grace... 3 1/2 hours later... he played virtually non-stop except for the obligatory bass and drum solos. The man can improvise... get yourself some... you wont be disappointed.

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Donovan
Perth County Conspiracy
Curved Air
Uriah Heap
The Fugs
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Jefferson Airplane
Crowfoot
Sweet Smoke
Vanilla Fudge
Humble Pie
Sly & the Family Stone
War

Thats a good start......

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Judas Priest.... and then cross the atlantic to Jimi Hendrix, SRV, The Doors, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheech & Chong......ah, that last one slipped .... lost my rhythm !

Then from oz......ACDC, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Rose Tattoo, Wolfmother, INXS, The Angels.

Gee, I forgot - Iggy Pop, David Bowie, U2, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction, Sound Garden, Rage Against The Machine, Audio Slave, Tool, A Perfect Circle, The Mars Volta

Mental guitarists - Jimi Hendix (again), Jimi Page, Roy Buchanan, SRV, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Ted Nugent, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton.---Some of these guys started in the late 50's to early 60's

>>>>>There are just toooooo many good musos to mention !!!

Last edited:

Diego

an all time favorite cd of mine is nirvanas unplugged album, velvet revolver cd released about a year or so ago is finally growing on me.