What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi grow..recommended soil?

blondie

I'm starting a Malawi soon and wonder what soil has worked well for others for this strain? I have some used coast of Maine Stonington blend. Thinking this may work and help keep size down a bit since its used. Was going to add a touch more perlite and some earth worm castings and call it a day. Comments?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome blondie :)

Thanks for choosing Malawi for your upcoming grow. :yes:

I'm not familiarized with the brand of your soil so i cannot comment on this one, but I always recommend the same standard soil mix as a base: 80-90 % of high quality peat, 10 % of worm casting and a fistful of guano in powder for every 7 liters of soil mix. You can also add other additives and mycorrhiza you are used to work with.

As described in the growing tips of the official strain description, we recommend moderate PK levels for the whole cycle, and slightly lower of nitrogen. Typically you can start them with an EC of 0.6 for the first 3 weeks of life, increase up to 1 or even 1.2 EC for late veg/early flowering stage, and around 1.2-1.4 EC (for the tinner leaved Old Malawi Killer phenos) or even 1.4-1.8 EC (in case you have New Killer phenos with wider and darker leaves) when Malawi is producing most of her flowers in flowering stage.
PH for soil, watering and feeding must be between 6.5-6.8.

Anyway, if you have any doubt during their development you can always email me or post your progresses here. Best wishes!

SolarLogos

Welcome Blondie. I looked up the Coast of Maine growers mix and it was $43 for a 1.5L bag. Until now, I have been using EB Stone Edna's Best (organic, I've met the rep personally) and I pay $8/bag (and I still grumble about the price). It also has everything COM has, except the lobster, but there are other goodies, EWC, Guano, Mycorrhiza, etc. They claim the pH is always between 6.5-7, but I cannot verify that as I haven't sprung the $100 to get a soil probe for my pH meter yet, but I will.
You would be a lot better off (and a lot cheaper, especially in the long run) if you follow Dubi's recipe; he is Hermes of Cannabis, the thrice great!
Good luck and keep us posted.
Peace, God bless

Last edited:

SolarLogos

I'm not familiarized with the brand of your soil so i cannot comment on this one, but I always recommend the same standard soil mix as a base: 80-90 % of high quality peat, 10 % of worm casting and a fistful of guano in powder for every 7 liters of soil mix. You can also add other additives and mycorrhiza you are used to work with.

As described in the growing tips of the official strain description, we recommend moderate PK levels for the whole cycle, and slightly lower of nitrogen. Typically you can start them with an EC of 0.6 for the first 3 weeks of life, increase up to 1 or even 1.2 EC for late veg/early flowering stage, and around 1.2-1.4 EC (for the tinner leaved Old Malawi Killer phenos) or even 1.4-1.8 EC (in case you have New Killer phenos with wider and darker leaves) when Malawi is producing most of her flowers in flowering stage.

Anyway, if you have any doubt during their development you can always email me or post your progresses here. Best wishes!
Thank you Dubi, this is why I come here, to learn this stuff. Information you find here cannot be found elsewhere.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

I'm personally going to try this medium on my next grow. Does growing in this much peat alleviate the problems of over watering like coco? Is drainage similar to coco (like straight through) or like soil? I imagine flushing must be easy. I assume this must help contribute to a larger root mass, as the roots must find it easy to grow in this medium, as I imagine there is less density than dirt, allowing the roots to freely travel, thereby necessitating larger pots? I'm on board.
Thank you Dubi,
Peace, God bless

Thanks again Dubi.

blondie

Thanks. Plannnng to pop the beans Saturday and keep a journal.

I looked at Edna’s best, not local. Not sure I could get it. Sounds wayyyyy more cost effective. I can pick up a bag of lobster blend easy enough if I find this stuff. If I can my hands on it I’ll do a side by side.

troutman

Seed Whore
Sativas do best in soil and try to feed them very little. :tiphat:

Overfeeding is where most people go wrong.

SolarLogos

Good morning Blondie. My point was not necessarily that you should use EB Stone soil, but simply that you don't have to spend a lot to grow great grass. If you prefer using soil, rather than Dubi's suggestion, the important thing is the soil pH is correct and that the soil is not too hot. The soil you like does have a lot of goodies in it, so you may not have to give them nutrients for a while (see troutman's post) and adjust the EC's when you do, starting maybe a little lower since you have a lot of nutes in the soil. I would say the most important thing is keeping the soil, water, and nutrients at 6.5-6.8 pH like Dubi said and get your EC's dialed in and don't over water and you will be really happy. You really can't go too wrong, with all the support ACE and everyone here gives you; just post pictures and question as you go along. Wishing you a blessed grow!
Peace, God bless

blondie

I have a bag of peat laying around actually. Can add some ewc and some other items. If I mix in a few days and pop beans, this mix will be hot won’t it?

Latest posts

Latest posts