What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Testing the Indica and Sativa influence of a strain

TurtleHermit

When dealing with unknown strains (curiosity, bagseeds, etc.) is there a method of testing the plants phenotype background to determine the percentage of indica or sativa?

I know there are labs for determining the chemical profile to gather the THC/CBD percentage.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I guess if not known.. between leaf size,stretch and flowering time and high,,,,yeehaw but bump....labs for thc cbd ect terpenes ect easy to find....I don't think enough of the dna is mapped or freely available..never heard of any such test myself but I aint no scientist...ask chimera or skunkman is my best guess..if they don't know it don't exist...I do think its possible just not available

The only way is to have a lot of experience using cannabis. You have to compare the effects to the strains that you have used before, because you can use those genetics as a control to base what you are testing on. I know how pure indicas, pure sativas, sativa dominant hybids, indica dominant hybrids and hybrids make me feel. So when I find a strain I can compare it against the strains that I know already. If it makes me feel like how hash plant or hindu kush makes me feel then I know it is an indica.

Also, like stoned-trout said, you will be able to see different characteristics when you grow them like leaf structure and flowering time.