What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is It Time to Water?

cannabuzz

Hey Guys!

I planted my GSC seeds 5 days ago in Fox Farm Light Warrior. I made sure that the soil was completely watered through when I planted my seeds. They all sprouted and IMO are looking good. I haven't watered since they were planted because when I touch the top soil (with the back of my finger) it still feels moist and I'm afraid of over watering.

Can I water my seedlings even though the soil still feels a bit moist? It's been 5 days now.

Can I spray my seedlings with PH'd RO water in the mean time? I'm planning on feeding them some nutes this Friday (Week 1)

Any help would be really appreciated, Thanks!

LostTribe

Premium user
you are only using straight fox farm? That shit is HOT you need to mix in some pro mix or something or you will burn and stunt plants. That stuff all needs to be mixed with a nutrient free substrate like peat or fine coco coir....

Should water every other day for best results but grab a watering/ph stake in at lowes or hd in the gardening section by the plant ferts!

I never foliar spray my plants with anything and they are the bombastic! Plants don't feed through the leaves they eat with the roots and transpire through the leaves!

cannabuzz

you are only using straight fox farm? That shit is HOT you need to mix in some pro mix or something or you will burn and stunt plants. That stuff all needs to be mixed with a nutrient free substrate like peat or fine coco coir....

First, Thank you for your feedback.

I was actually going to use Vermifire to plant my seeds but my local shop advised me not to use it because it was too hot and suggested Light Warrior Seed Starter.

I would also like to admit that I added 'Zym' and 'Root Enhancement' nutes (per manufacturer's suggestion) to the first water :( Will they be able to handle that one nutrient feed? I promise I won't do nutes until 1 month 1/2

Should water every other day for best results but grab a watering/ph stake in at lowes or hd in the gardening section by the plant ferts!

Even if the soil is still moist I can water them? I won't run into over watering issues?

bigdad41296

First, Thank you for your feedback.

I was actually going to use Vermifire to plant my seeds but my local shop advised me not to use it because it was too hot and suggested Light Warrior Seed Starter.

I would also like to admit that I added 'Zym' and 'Root Enhancement' nutes (per manufacturer's suggestion) to the first water :( Will they be able to handle that one nutrient feed? I promise I won't do nutes until 1 month 1/2

Even if the soil is still moist I can water them? I won't run into over watering issues?

Actually the light warrior just has a small charge of nutes. I'd wait to water untill your pots are light when you lift them, also I would feed a small amount like around .4-.5 ec

cannabuzz

also I would feed a small amount like around .4-.5 ect

Can I feed them at this stage (1 week)? I'll feed them very small amounts of the suggested dosages, but I just want to make sure it's ok to feed them nutes at 1 week old. Should I wait longer to start nutes?

Can I feed them at this stage (1 week)? I'll feed them very small amounts of the suggested dosages, but I just want to make sure it's ok to feed them nutes at 1 week old. Should I wait longer to start nutes?

I would personally wait until they are two weeks old before using any nutrients. The soil will sustain them at least that long. After two weeks I would transplant depending on what size container they are in now...

cannabuzz

After two weeks I would transplant depending on what size container they are in now...

Yeah I'm gonna wait a little longer. I have them in 'Solo' cups and was thinking of transplanting them to 3 gallon pots when they're ready.

Can I start using the 'Vermifire' soil when I transplant or will it still be too hot?

Yeah I'm gonna wait a little longer. I have them in 'Solo' cups and was thinking of transplanting them to 3 gallon pots when they're ready.

Can I start using the 'Vermifire' soil when I transplant or will it still be too hot?

Im not familiar with the soil. Maybe be better to go a little slower. Also thats an HUGE jump from solo to 3 gallon pots. I would go at least one transplant in between to properly establish a good root system. Maybe solo >> 1 gal >> 3 gal to finish

MrBungle

Light warrior is fine for starting seeds and clones... I'd probably wait till the second week to start them off with big bloom, if you are sticking with fox farm for nutes as well... I wouldn't give them half strength or whatever with the big bloom, it is a pretty forgiving blend.. The tiger bloom and grow big are the parts that you will have to figure out your proper doses...

What if I flush the soil before using it?

Got it, Thanks!

For the first transplant why not cut the hotter soil with the light warrior so prevent burn? Then they will be ready for it when transplanting to final container. Better to have to feed than burn/stunt the plants :dance013:

Ujo Poika

Water with spray bottle when they are young? Young ones are so easy to drown.

I did drown two of my first plants, and my soil was also a bit on the strong side. It takes couple of weeks before it needs nutes.

If you water your plants before the soil gets a good chance to dry out the roots won't grow. When roots get dry they grow to seek out water that they could not get access to otherwise. With cannabis it is far better to give them not enough water or fertilizer then too much.

Before plants start to bud it is fine to spray them with plain water, it actually helps clean dust off of them which in turn helps maximize their ability to photosynthesize. Plain tap water is fine, just don't mist your plants after they start to develop buds or you can get mold issues.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I start all my seeds out in FF Happy Frog for years and I have never burned one. I don't cut it with anything, just straight outta the bag. I start them out in Solo cups and usual give them a dose of Liquid Karma (mild like Big Bloom), on the third watering. I won't give my first half strength dose of my main fert til atleast 10 days from out the soil. Sometimes certain plants go longer before first small feeding. And I always transplant to next container not too long after 14 days.

That's what I've been doing for years and it's flawless, for me and my environment. Remember, everybody's environment is a little different. So what works for one person, might not have quite the same results for another.

Listen to the plants, Grasshoppers! They will tell you. I've learned the hard way, when in doubt, wait a little longer. A plant that is wanting nutes is a lot easier to correct than a plant that has nute burn. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts