What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi guys and girls :tiphat:, ive made myself a new little grow. not really a cab... more akin to a rubbermaid type one i guess. I really need a totally separate growing area in which to do a few extra bits like flower males for breeding - but of course it would be churlish of me not to put the setup through it's paces and see how much bud i can get out of it!

so here it is, ive tried to come up with something as simple as possible. basically an upturned kitchen bin on a large flowerpot!
picture.php

i'll try and show some pics to illustrate how i made this. i cut a hole in the top and fitted a computer fan. the Gelid ones have some great rubber fixings that stop vibrations. i sealed around the edge with draft exclusion tape.
picture.php

heres the inside of the bin with mylar fitted. the small hole at the top is for the LED's power lead and fan wire.
picture.php

said bin from poundstretcher. (UK)
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here's the pot. also the top of the bin which was hemispherical but i angle grinded the top off to make a collar
picture.php

which screws onto the lip of the flowerpot which makes the bottom half - and the sawn off top fits snugly inside the top half
picture.php

here is the light, its a cute little HGL 21X pro. it draws 28 watts from the wall.
picture.php

back to the top end, and ive cut a hole in the lid of a clip type plastic storage container and screwed it over the fan opening. this is for the home made carbon filter.
picture.php

here it is with it's base fitted, which has also had a bigger hole cut in it's as the outlet. this is the (as yet empty) carbon filter. i cut up an old can filter to re-use the aluminium grill - which i cut out with tinsnips. you can also see inside where i've hung the light with a chain which comes out and of the hole in the middle and is fixed with a carabina. this allows some adjustment of it's height
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the kind words guys!

few more pics
here is the completed carbon filter... although i suspect the carbon may be too fine, the bits are about 1-2 mm.
picture.php

and the inside of it, more bits scavenged from a spent can filter, including the dust filter:dance013:
picture.php

oh yeah - a plant. my shark1 cut, slightly the worse for wear as it got a little root bound... but it should pick up fine. i'll probably scrog it... for a change :D
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh yeah i took one through the fan, which is not working atm because the adaptor blew grrr. it was a switchable voltage 300ma one and the fan is rated at 80ma so not sure how that happened but it got hot and then stopped working so ive ordered another one.
as of now it is being ventilated by convection which will be fine for a few days. the carbon filter isnt fitted either but were in veg and the (what shall i call it ?? ) is in the loft.
picture.php

VG

Dr 4 four

Nice setup Verdant! I'll be interested in how that 28w LED works for ya. I've been looking at a few different makes/models and the 28w is one of them. I wonder what kind of results you'll get from that since it has the magnified lens.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dr 4 four - thanks, yeah i really like the little light and hope it does a good job for me. the grow is still a work in progress and i'll have to see how the ghetto carbon filter works out etc.

VG

Last edited:

ellinho

Im pretty interested in LED for a veg chamber. will you only flower your strains or also clone in that bin? sry if it was answered before but Im to high and lazy right now.
will tag along if you dont mind ;)

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
kick ass VG :respect:

now you can BREED !!!! :woohoo:

i did the same, (after building a flowering cab and then a veg cab) i built a third cab for flowering males, selfed females and the occasional let's build up our bud supply :D

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Looks good VD. I really like that small LED. How thick is your carbon filter, how deep? Which ever word applies best, I guess. cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts